Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 17:52   #16
BHPian

Good move - These clamps have been in use for a couple of years in my office - to prevent ppl parking in common areas or to the cars which occupy 2 parking places. However if one just jacks up the car and replaces the stepney it's possible to walk away scot free and the clamp is yours to keep
However I don't think in this clamp it's possible to replace the wheel altogether...
Old 14th September 2009, 17:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

As long as there is no damage to the car, I'm for this completely. One step towards more organized traffic.

cheers
Old 14th September 2009, 18:00   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Very good move, and gets a thumbs up from my side

However, proper implementation with NO damage to the vehicle is critical.
+1, very good move. Takes care of the bribes too. These don't look like they will cause damage unless the driver is a moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
And what if someone has an emergency, these issues need to be addressed.
A person who doesn't know rules shouldn't bother about such things. Had to take my son for a vaccination, nothing critical. But some moron parked infront of our gate, who's emergency who is suffering? I had to take an Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
what if someone cuts these and drive away?
its not that easy but not too dificult with proper tools
Isn't it better to pay Rs 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Fear of the law is the only deterrent in most cases.
What we need so badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
one of my friend moved the car with the clamp without noticing it and had his wheel console damaged. so watch out for these clamps before driving off
A person who doesn't bother about others doesn't get much sympathy from me. He can't make out a no parking area, he cant see a clamp on his wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
These clamps are better and more preferable to getting our cars towed away inappropriately, and hence damaged. wish they use these more and avoid towing away cars, will also lead to stopping of towing company and police tie-up with towing companies being owned by relative of the traffic police guys.
+1 and i totally hate those contractors who act as if they are the real upholders of law and are not doing any wrong destroying someone's property.
Old 14th September 2009, 18:07   #19
BHPian

I agree with all the guys that this will cause less damate/no damage to the incorrectly parked cars. But what about the people who use that road area? for them it will be there till the time the owner arrives and calls up the police to pay the fine. Towing damaged the cars but also removed the obstacles (the wrongly parked).
Old 14th September 2009, 18:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

lovely move by the police , i hope atleast this brings some sense to the offenders.

But me thinks someone may actually use this as a theft deterrent for long term parking !
Old 14th September 2009, 18:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

pros:
cheap and cheerful (Rs 100 only)
lightweight and colourful
no towing no damage

cons:
creats unemployment for the tow cranes and its staff!

Nehru place will generate good amount of income for Delhi Traffic Police with these clamps.

well its all a process to modernise DP for commonwealth games! soon we will see hi tech police man on delhi streets!
Old 14th September 2009, 19:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good move. As parm says, it prevents towing related damage and that is a huge benefit. As for the emergency cases, get an auto!
Old 14th September 2009, 19:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Cops around NAtional Market in Bangalore have the practice of leaving a small sticker on the wind-shield - indicating the offence and the fine. I got fined 100 for parking it on one of the lanes (apparently is no parking but had a line of cars from one end to the other). I paid the money and requested the cop if I could leave the car there till I finish shopping - he agreed

Going forward I have decided that is the best thing to do !
Old 14th September 2009, 20:48   #24
BHPian

I had developed a fantastic way to evade the towing of my car, by simply screwing 2 pairs of adequately sized nuts & bolts onto the towing mounts of the car under the engine compartment. Although Fines in the form of stickers had been put on the windshield but my car had never been towed. This gave me the liberty to pay the Fine over the next 15 days. But I guess those days of Fine paying flexibility are gone!!

Last edited by maglev : 14th September 2009 at 20:51.
Old 14th September 2009, 21:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
These clamps are better and more preferable to getting our cars towed away inappropriately, and hence damaged. wish they use these more and avoid towing away cars, will also lead to stopping of towing company and police tie-up with towing companies being owned by relative of the traffic police guys.
Dear sir, Please dont expect this in Mumbai as you all know that almost all towing vans hired by our Mumbai Traffic Police are owned by either a constable,Sub inspector, Senior Inspectors, why they will let thier business suffer. If you see the bill you get for towing charges they all have bogus incomlete address and just a mobile nos on it mostly near worli area where most of these cops stay.These owners must be raided by our income tax dept. and see if they pay any taxes on the dirty income they make out of these vans.
Old 14th September 2009, 22:20   #26
BHPian

Chennai has had this crab like wheel murderer for a while now, but as mentioned earlier hella lot cruder :P

It's a good move and i agree with all that has been said here so far. If you're stupid enough to park illegally, suffer and pay up. Consider yourself lucky that the fine is just a 100 bucks for potentially holding up someone in an emergency situation
Old 14th September 2009, 23:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
However if one just jacks up the car and replaces the stepney it's possible to walk away scot free and the clamp is yours to keep
Good idea. Also be ready to face the police when they come searching for clamps and to recover the fine. Hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
I had developed a fantastic way to evade the towing of my car, by simply screwing 2 pairs of adequately sized nuts & bolts onto the towing mounts of the car under the engine compartment. Although Fines in the form of stickers had been put on the windshield but my car had never been towed. This gave me the liberty to pay the Fine over the next 15 days. But I guess those days of Fine paying flexibility are gone!!
Lol, remember you carrying tickets and pics will be appreciated.
Old 14th September 2009, 23:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nice - Delhi Police is becoming smarter and more modern.

100 Rs is a very nominal fine IMO and should solve the issue to a good extent.

BTW do they have enough clampers on them ?? Nehru Place alone would need a few hundred I'd think

And then Lajpat Nagar, GK, Sarojini Nagar, VV , CP, Old Delhi - the list is endless.
Old 15th September 2009, 02:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

i think the clamps can be a good source of advertising for Delhi Police!

they should rent out the empty space on the whole clamp! Lock manufacturing companies should tie up with DP to use it for advertising and DP can make more money!

the adverts will make the clamps look more attractive!
Old 15th September 2009, 02:17   #30
BHPian

Nice clamps, and while your Car is Locked with it, you can Relax that it would not get Stolen either.

In my small city, they TOW the car so Badly that you would need to get it re-aligned.
Also I've heard the fine is approx Rs.1000/- here.

But Follow the traffic/Parking rules.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks