Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 10:09   #31
BHPian

Good move, but to any traffic policeman reading-- please make sure the No Parking zone is clearly marked! Imagine if you parked in what you thought was a legal area and came back to find this on your car.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:21   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
Good move - These clamps have been in use for a couple of years in my office - to prevent ppl parking in common areas or to the cars which occupy 2 parking places. However if one just jacks up the car and replaces the stepney it's possible to walk away scot free and the clamp is yours to keep
However I don't think in this clamp it's possible to replace the wheel altogether...
Since the clamp is apparently latched onto the wheel nuts, i dont see how one can remove the wheel and replace it. I am sure they would have thought of this when designing the mechanism.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
I paid the money and requested the cop if I could leave the car there till I finish shopping - he agreed

Going forward I have decided that is the best thing to do !
Thats not a good move buddy, considering the fact that you would be creating trouble and pain for fellow road users and general public on foot, congestion even.

Coming to the topic, there were similar devices used for 2 wheelers in Pune quite sometime back. The disappeared as suddenly as it all began.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:54   #34
buz
BHPian

Regarding Nehru Place, I once happened to go to the police station to help get the towed away car of a lady colleague of mine released one late evening. While waiting to pay for the challan, I noticed this traffic cop enter the premises with a huge wad of cash in one hand and a huge wad of challans in the other!! 100, 500, 1000 rs notes!! He could barely hold on to them. I asked the constable at the counter if that was the day's collection. He said - "No sirji, this is one constable on a 4 hr beat"!! Talk about business model!

BTW, Rs. 100 in my opinion, is a very low fine for wrong parking. Repeat offenders will still continue with their good work. DLF Corporate Park had an ingenious way to get such people to behave in their premises... they would stick A4 size pages with "Wrong parking" printed on them on the front windscreen of the car with dirty glue. Poor sod would take ages trying to rip the paper off the screen. I guess inconvenience helps maintain law and order, not chump change fines.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:56   #35
BHPian

OT
Can these clamps be purchased from somewhere (ebay etc.).
Looks like one of the best anti-theft device..
Old 15th September 2009, 11:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Since the clamp is apparently latched onto the wheel nuts, i dont see how one can remove the wheel and replace it. I am sure they would have thought of this when designing the mechanism.
I am referring to the following type of wheel clamps - Wheel Clamps : Traffic Police's New Weapon-800px20090226_wheel_clamp_on_hummer.jpg

However - if one tries to research enough on the net - one will be able to find how to walk away with the clamp

Another way to prevent getting your vehicle clamped/towed etc and still park it anywhere you want is to get yourself a clamp and clamp your car when you park - so that no-one can clamp/tow your car

Last edited by sonirohit : 15th September 2009 at 11:26.
Old 15th September 2009, 11:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another way to prevent getting your vehicle clamped/towed etc and still park it anywhere you want is to get yourself a clamp and clamp your car when you park - so that no-one can clamp/tow your car
Oh no sir, Bangy police are smarter, they'll clamp any one of the remaining wheels to put their stamp of authority.
Why don't we clamp the police tow vehicles instead, tit for tat. Atleast we know they won't lurk around to atleast 2-3 hours.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 15th September 2009 at 11:42.
Old 15th September 2009, 11:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
BTW do they have enough clampers on them ?? Nehru Place alone would need a few hundred I'd think

And then Lajpat Nagar, GK, Sarojini Nagar, VV , CP, Old Delhi - the list is endless.
They must have just received stock of new clamps so the enthusiasm level is very high. In a few weeks time, they will realize that this is an administrative nightmare so they will revert to the good old manual challan at specific times of day
Old 15th September 2009, 11:41   #39
BHPian

Great move by the DTP. The clamps on some cars look better than the cars themselves LOL.
Honestly, I think clamps are a great advantage for the owners who don't have to run helter skelter for locating their towed-away cars but they are still a problem that the illegally parked cars are still left parked to the inconvenience of the other road users.
I think the fine should be much higher in today's inflated economy. A rs1000 fine should be minimal.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
Great move by the DTP.
Honestly, I think clamps are a great advantage for the owners who don't have to run helter skelter for locating their towed-away cars but they are still a problem that the illegally parked cars are still left parked to the inconvenience of the other road users.
In addition the clamps are a matter of relief to those unlucky car owners who atleast are sure that their car would not get damaged in transit (scratched, mechanics fiddled with) while being towed-away by those old,ugly,crappy looking tow-trucks.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilb View Post
In addition the clamps are a matter of relief to those unlucky car owners who atleast are sure that their car would not get damaged in transit (scratched, mechanics fiddled with) while being towed-away by those old,ugly,crappy looking tow-trucks.
Chennai CCTP guys have been using something similar but with manual locks for a couple of years now.
Old 15th September 2009, 17:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

lets see who comes up with the first home made look alike clamp to fool the delhi police!
Old 15th September 2009, 22:13   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However - if one tries to research enough on the net - one will be able to find how to walk away with the clamp
Why research? Swap the clamped wheel with your spare and drive away. Not that I recommend it though
Old 15th September 2009, 22:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

That doesnt seem to be possible with this new clamps used by Delhi Police- or am I missing something?
Old 16th September 2009, 00:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i think the clamps can be a good source of advertising for Delhi Police!

they should rent out the empty space on the whole clamp! Lock manufacturing companies should tie up with DP to use it for advertising and DP can make more money!

the adverts will make the clamps look more attractive!
Area specific advertisements, if you're in Lajpat Nagar then advertisement of ladies suits and if in Nehru Place advertisements by IT companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Good move, but to any traffic policeman reading-- please make sure the No Parking zone is clearly marked! Imagine if you parked in what you thought was a legal area and came back to find this on your car.
Buddy, in Vasant Kunj, New Delhi the strech of Nelson Mandela Road (from Flyover uptill Police Station, Vasant Kunj) has 3 lanes marked with white broken lines and extreme left lane with yellow solid line. This yellow solid line is generally the parking area from the footpath within which the vehicle should be parked, but the cranes always tow vehicles from there. This is indeed very confusing as in market places of Delhi these demarcations are meant to indicate parking area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
lets see who comes up with the first home made look alike clamp to fool the delhi police!
Nice idea, no parking charges and no fines. Plus no tension of the car being towed away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
That doesnt seem to be possible with this new clamps used by Delhi Police- or am I missing something?
That's not possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks