Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2005, 22:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Can Maruti Finish Santro this way..

A thought struck my mind today..

Even though Maruti and Hyundai are neck to neck with their tall boy cars (WagonR and Santro), the Santro continues to outsell the Maruti partially because of the SRK thing and partially because of the good looks of Santro as opposed to WagonR..

Now what Maruti can do to finish of Santro completely, is to launch a SWIFT LX with 1.1 Ltr wagonR engine..(ok dont jump the gun on me..read on..).. and discontinue the WagonR..
Remember Alto1.1 and Alto .8 coexistence??

Now price SWIFT LX right up in the 3.5 lac range, and do some weight cutting (now this is the most difficult part, since it will be too much of a work for a 1.1 engine to carry such a heavy peace of metal..).. and considering the phsyche of Indian consumers.. they will prefer the Suzuki anyday over Santro because of the Looks, brand image, and the HYPE Swift has generated...

So what say t-bhpians...
dont be shy to call it a stupid idea though..
Old 19th July 2005, 22:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
considering the phsyche of Indian consumers.. they will prefer the Suzuki anyday over Santro because of the Looks, brand image, and the HYPE Swift has generated...
"considering the psyche of indian consumer " ---

they will end up buying 1.1 swift at the cheaper price than the 1.3 L variant ...
just like alto .8L was preferred to the alto 1.1 ...
hence they might risk poorer sales or even discontinuation of 1.3L variant swift...

dude even at the 3.5range ..santro is cheaper than our 1.1L swift...the base model santro has now been priced to target the alto (in term of entry level sales) ....

Last edited by turbo_lover : 19th July 2005 at 22:27.
Old 19th July 2005, 22:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
dont be shy to call it a stupid idea though..

hehe yeah it is a stupid idea.

the swift at 1000+kg will be underpowered witha 1.1l engine.also the FE will be drop .

instead if the zen and M800 are discontinued , then the alto and wagon r sales will pick up .

the santro has better sales becasue it is present in all variants competing with alto as well as the wagon r.

so if you consider the sales of the (alto +wagon r),it is way ahead of the santro.
Old 19th July 2005, 22:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Santro sales have not been affected by Swift.
In fact Swift is eating into sales of Zen and Esteem.
Old 19th July 2005, 23:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Stupid idea,
The WagonR is a perfect alternative to the Swift.
The consumers of both are very different.
The WagonR offers practicilaty which is missin in the swift.
This would instead help sales of the Santro.
Also a 1.1L swift will cannabalise 1.3L swift sales as in the case of Alto, Palio, Sail.
Old 20th July 2005, 00:07   #6
BHPian

Yup that was stupid. It may do more damage than good for Maruti Sales. Overall, the strategy may help increase short term sales, but Hyundai is not out of good marketable models in that segment. They can come in with a new car anytime.
Old 20th July 2005, 00:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

I own a Wagon R Vx( 5th in gujarat I believe) This car still rocks.

WE have won in the wagonR mile edge challenge. The sheer practicality of this car now with abs and airbags beats santro head on. Its the price that does it for santro.

I would never prefer the santro though. My both uncles have the santro xing and the cars are no match when it comes to power or fuel efficicency or practiality.
Old 20th July 2005, 08:33   #8
BHPian

Another stupid idea...
I guess the easiet way for maruti is to relaunch the zen with 1.1 and a few cosmic changes. look how new look esteem is selling... not to forget there are many zen overs out there..
Old 20th July 2005, 10:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

No . Maruti needs to chuck out its complete portfolio that is years old.

Only the swift and grand vitara can be called competitive models. Wagon R is just about ok. All the other cars belong in the scrap yard now.
Old 20th July 2005, 11:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
the cars are no match when it comes to power or fuel efficicency or practiality.
I think you are too emotional abt. your wagonR..except Power Santro does match WagonR on FE and Practiality. Infact it edge out on looks department easily..but thats purely my view.

Coming to discussion....
It is so very strange that all ppl here..who are knowledgable in auto industry, start comparing Swift with Santro.
It was Hyundai stratergy which seems to be working...nobody even talks abt. Swift-Getz. And this way Hyundai has made sure Getz remains intact and at the same time manage to increase sales of santro (with this kind of comparison and its revised price tag).
Althoug I own Santro xing and I feel its very practical for city driving..but want to be fair with Swift which is miles ahead of it....
Old 20th July 2005, 11:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

VIshal tank sale.. i did not intend to start a Swift v/s Santro or a WagonR v/s Santro debate here.. what i proposed is an hypothetical situation taking Swift 1.1 into picture..(not 1.3).. so i guess you did not quite understand the first post of this topic.

The Xing is a good city car, no doubts about it.. but i was just talking about some kind of marketing strategy which can efffectively kill the sales of Santro.. nothing to do with Swift v/s Santro crap..
Old 20th July 2005, 11:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
VIshal tank sale.. i did not intend to start a Swift v/s Santro or a WagonR v/s Santro debate here.. what i proposed is an hypothetical situation taking Swift 1.1 into picture..(not 1.3).. so i guess you did not quite understand the first post of this topic.

The Xing is a good city car, no doubts about it.. but i was just talking about some kind of marketing strategy which can efffectively kill the sales of Santro.. nothing to do with Swift v/s Santro crap..
Well I am not questioning about ur oiginal post, but invariablly I see this kind of posts lead to comparison. I already see some thread for santro vs Swift comparison and feel bad for Swift.
My whole point is, even here at Team-BHP we have started this invalid / wrong comparisons.

And sorry if I am very hash in my comments
Old 20th July 2005, 12:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
No . Maruti needs to chuck out its complete portfolio that is years old.

Only the swift and grand vitara can be called competitive models. Wagon R is just about ok. All the other cars belong in the scrap yard now.
Well, I agree that most of their portfolio is obsolete, but that's why Maruti still sells them! They have recovered their investment eons ago, now they are laughing their way to the bank with each Zen, Esteem or WagonR sold. And as long as people still prefer to buy those outdated products instead of the competition*, why wouldn't (and shouldn't) Maruti keep selling them? After all, a corporation's primary aim is to generate returns for their shareholders. Quick, lemme buy some Maruti stock!

* I'm not getting into the comparison of whether the competition offers more modern products or products that are equally obsolete.
Old 20th July 2005, 13:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
now they are laughing their way to the bank with each Zen, Esteem or WagonR sold.
IMO, the Baleno, although a good car, should also be added to that list ..
Old 20th July 2005, 13:33   #15
BHPian

Guys !! I also read in wheels website that a new look getz is on the way, may be it will make it to India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks