Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 13:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

ACM, but then that begs the question - what are those charges doing there in the first place, even if most centers do not use them?
Old 8th October 2009, 14:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

My experience with Tata workshops is limited to the two that I've used after I bought the Safari. The vehicle has done almost 70k kms on date. I can safely say -
  • Have never been charged for washing
  • Have never been charged labour for anything done during a regular service visit apart from the Service Charge (presently 750 minus a discount that they give me), Catalytic Converter cleaning & Brake Pads cleaning
  • Have never been charged labour for any visits to fix any squeaks & rattles (drive in-drive out type)
  • For work on suspension components, there is a separate labour charge, the exact amount may vary depending on the work actually done (for example, changing the front upper & lower arms will cost more than, say, just changing the shockers)
  • There is a chart containing the costs of Materials & Labour which is prominently displayed in a central place for all to see - this covers the common items & forms the basis for the labour charge
I think the thread title is albeit a little misleading - it is not Tata but certain unscrupulous individual dealerships who are perhaps trying to pull the wool over the customers eyes. My wiper blades were changed at my 65k kms service but I wasn't charged separately. My Centre Pin (steering) has been greased on numerous occasion without any charge whatsoever (even if not on a scheduled visit). So, it depends to a large extent on the workshop (and ethics) as well. Having said that, I think that if we are going to an authorized service center, we should be mentally prepared to be charged for individual items. Else, we always have the choice of visiting non-ASCs.......
Old 8th October 2009, 14:06   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I once went to my tasc for a busted fuse ( which i busted while playing around with LED's) , which had died by my own fault. they changed it for free with the spare fuse, and billed me only for another which i asked for.
I managed to blow a couple of fuses in my car (Ford) as well, again playing with LEDs. I put in the spare fuse, and asked for replacements which were given to me for free. Personally, i feel this is more of a dealer specific offer.

In the open market, the cost per fuse is Rs.3/-. If they were to charge for this, i would call them as being greedy considering how much we pay for the service otherwise.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:10   #49
Team-BHP Support

Suman, you have been lucky that you were with autolinks. But since it so far away, I could not avail their services often. I have paid for center pin greasing.
When bearings were changed under warranty, I had to pay 300rs for some rubber parts that get changed along with.
Every time my safari went in for injector adjustment or HLA change for that idle surging problem, I had to pay 50-70rs for small stuff like washer, anabond and the likes.

OTOH, at autolinks, they even changed the rubber bushes under warranty though they are not covered.
I hope they open a branch closer to Noida. The 4x4 and likes need some checking up, and I am sure nobody at sterling really understands the problem.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Suman, you have been lucky that you were with autolinks.
Even Dhingra's were reasonably OK in this respect - they didn't stoop to these levels. Heck, I remember they even did a paint touch-up on the Front bumper (RHS) FOC while I was sipping coffee with their Senior WM!

End of the day, its the dealership & your relationship with them. Of course, Autolinks is definitely one of the more customer friendly ones in the NCR.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

Safari folks get a different level ( and quality) of service as compared to us Indica and Indigo owners, so I think they're more of an apples and oranges comparison
Old 8th October 2009, 14:58   #52
Senior - BHPian

True Sai Dealer, Hosur (Salem - HQ)
Indigo CS TDI

1) Once they charged me 50Rs for changing a ~8Rs fuse. 5 mins of gyan to the works manager and I was promised free wheel alignment next time. (I got it actually).

2) Everytime i drive in, I make it a point to talk to each of the guys who helped me in the past, every one remembers me (not by name, but by my hai to them).

3) I never have got fleeced once, I end up getting free water wash each time.

4) Numerous times drive-in, jack-up, check-under-body, for small issues done for free.

5) After 1 service, one of the JBL tweeter went missing. After a fight, I settled for cash reimbursement. But the fight was done in a fair tone & down to the facts. No microphone-throwing stuff like babu's do on live TV.

6) Once in a while my service advisor tries his sales trick on me and I politely tell him not-on-me-brother. Engine Laquering, wax polish, 1 or 2 years AMC, etc etc. I stick to the basics and dont do anything more than a can of bhardhal.

7) Once they charged me for 100Rs CAT-CON cleaning. I saw how they do it. They Jack the car up, remove the nut-bolt of the Cat-Con, take it to the water wash area and BLOW AIR (high pressure) into it. I always say no to it after that. Driving in 3rd gear @ 3500-4000RPM for about 10-20 seconds intermittently ensures the same.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

TBH santhosh, having tried to open the infernal fusebox, i would willingly pay 50 bucks for someone to replace the fuse
Old 8th October 2009, 15:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
End of the day, its the dealership & your relationship with them. Of course, Autolinks is definitely one of the more customer friendly ones in the NCR.
Sumanji i agree with you on this and i have never been charged unwantedly or for any small jobs when i was dealing with Manipal Motors & even now when i am dealing with Concorde Motors for my Safari.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:07   #55
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Safari folks get a different level ( and quality) of service as compared to us Indica and Indigo owners, so I think they're more of an apples and oranges comparison
If your were to look at savsantosh posts, and a few others one would think even the Indigo CS and other non safari owners have been getting better treatment.

I think the levels of service do actually vary and Safari owners do get preferential treatment, yet it is finally down to the specific service centres.

The charges that they list but do not charge are to let us know that it is a fee bee being given to us.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:12   #56
BANNED

A lot depends on the garage and the relationship you have with them. Also, remember that spares at an A$$ will be at least 30% costlier than in the open market. The manufacturers markup plus the discounts in the market see to that. Also, labour charges of 30-100% (or even more) higher are a given.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

ACM, again, thats ASC dependent. Some of them are very good - Bouncer and CtrlAltDel get consistently good service across all their tata cars, but the rest of us are not as fortunate
Old 14th October 2009, 10:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

My recent visit to the service center saw only the consumables being charged. And yes, it was a free service.

The wash was not proper (due to things beyond the SA's control), but the SA mentioned that I can drive in anytime that I can and he get a proper one done.

Infact. when the feedback call was made, I did make a point to mention this and even then I was asked to bring the vehicle for a wash, at a time of my convenience.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:50   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
The wash was not proper (due to things beyond the SA's control), but the SA mentioned that I can drive in anytime that I can and he get a proper one done.

Infact. when the feedback call was made, I did make a point to mention this and even then I was asked to bring the vehicle for a wash, at a time of my convenience.
Trust me. In all probablity, this will never happen. This is just the start of an endless cycle.
Old 14th October 2009, 11:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

^^ Greenie: The wash (which will never be perfect) was not even close to what they are usually good at. Reason was due to the sub-contractors going a flash strike.

So, I have my toned down expectation of the wash and if they reach that, I would be glad!!!

Anyway, pressure was is all that I would expect from them. The rest of the interiors and cleaning is better done by myself on a weekend.

2 benefits:
- I get a good exercise
- Vehicle is given proper attention.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks