Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 09:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
why I'm posting at two in the morning ..its because i had come to check up on the Scorpio!!
One more thought before you sleep or are you already wide awake by now and hope your scorp is still around

How about neatly stuffing a piece of rag in the tail pipe at night to gag the exhaust. I have tried this trick on my bullet and the bull would not start whatever you do. This is a least suspecting "starting problem" unless thief is doing homework on this forum . Just be careful, you do not push the rag too much far inside the pipe.
-BJ
Old 22nd October 2009, 09:38   #62

Thanks for alerting us. Glad to hear that your Scorpio was saved.

Gearlocks aren't fool proof, just like any other security device. Each device just slows down the intruder. A sensible thing to do will be to put in as many of these security devices as one can conveniently manage. Also, it will be a good idea to get compatible locking devices like steering locks and gear locks from abroad. The local thieves might not have the duplicate or master keys for them. You can remove them when you give your car for service to avoid the keys getting duplicated.

Another idea is to hide an old mobile phone with a SIM + roaming plan (prepaid "lifetime validity" plans maybe) in the car - makes an el cheapo tracker i.e.until the GPS tracker offerings here mature. If stolen, the car can be located by the police folks by tracking the phone. ;-)
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:01   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosa View Post
Another idea is to hide an old mobile phone with a SIM + roaming plan (prepaid "lifetime validity" plans maybe) in the car - makes an el cheapo tracker i.e.until the GPS tracker offerings here mature. If stolen, the car can be located by the police folks by tracking the phone. ;-)
Would probably need one of those phones which advertise 30 days' battery backup! Won't be much good otherwise since our very efficient authorities will take their own sweet time in lodging an FIR, and then going about tracking the phone, if they get down to doing it at all.

But a good suggestion nevertheless.
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:17   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to tbhp buddy!

Don't think your suggestion will help as if the car does'nt get stolen the cover certainly would!..winters are around and it would make a handy tent/blanket for any hapless soul!

I once again would like to thank all of you who have contributed to this thread.

The reason i had actually posted in the first place was to raise awareness and provide information for other Tbhp Scorpio owners..all in all this incident has left my faith shaken in all the security features, my service station, my nightwatchman and above all the local cops who were sadly deprived of their cut as my car could not be taken (in this instance).

Thanks all for your concern and support..and in-case you are wondering why I'm posting at two in the morning ..its because i had come to check up on the Scorpio!!
In my locality I have seen people covering their cars with covers and haven't heard any incidence of covers getting stolen.
I also live in West Delhi only.

Just like to know, do I spend money on cover or not.
Will it adds any benefit from security point of view or not.
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:24   #65
BHPian

why can't you complaint to the commissioner directly,if the local police is not taking up the case immediately.

The police station is to accept the complaint and not to say any reasons for not accepting.
There might be chances that local police might have some hand in the car theft.
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:01   #66
BHPian

I have tried changing the immobilizer code of my scorpio. I follow the instructions properly and all goes on well till the last step. What should happen is that after i have entered the last digit (say 8) by pressing the valet switch (8 times), i should put the ignition to on. Then after 10 seconds or so, a long beep should come which confirms change of code.
What is happening instead is that the long beep comes almost immidietly after entering the last digit using the valet switch. And nothing subsequently happens n keeping the ignition on for 10 seconds or even more.
Any clues anyone?
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:20   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
I have tried changing the immobilizer code of my scorpio. I follow the instructions properly and all goes on well till the last step. What should happen is that after i have entered the last digit (say 8) by pressing the valet switch (8 times), i should put the ignition to on. Then after 10 seconds or so, a long beep should come which confirms change of code.
What is happening instead is that the long beep comes almost immidietly after entering the last digit using the valet switch. And nothing subsequently happens n keeping the ignition on for 10 seconds or even more.
Any clues anyone?
I think you should take it to the service station as soon as possible after you have made an appointment with a senior technician to change your codes.

These people are well versed with the procedure and troubleshooting process.

All the best!
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:45   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manuuj, Had seen this thread quite some time back, could not post.

Sorry to hear the breakinto, simultaneously glad that thieves didnt manage to drive your scorpio.

Well, you have put in a lot of gadgets inside the car, and your this thread has helped us to understand the threat that thieves are to all of our cars.

This is one of the primary reasons why I am not buying a scorpio, in our area, there isnt a single big vehicle parked outside, so a santro is ok to park, but scorpio the favorite for thieves may not last even 2 nights, I guess.

Do keep us posted on the gadgets thing, if you install something else (though you had quite a few of them)

I learnt one lesson of not giving more than the required keys to Authorized Service Centers.
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:55   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any clues anyone?
nvldvr, I thought you had a refreshed scorpio and it should not need any immo code changes ??

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1322829 (My New Refreshed Scorpio LX)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...pio-lx-13.html (My New Refreshed Scorpio LX)
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:08   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I think you should take it to the service station as soon as possible after you have made an appointment with a senior technician to change your codes.

These people are well versed with the procedure and troubleshooting process.

All the best!
But if the service center guys are hand in glove with the thieves (as is suspected), you wouldn't want them to know the new code...
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:12   #71
BHPian

Need to check on this. Because the dealership where i bought my scorpio handed me a two page instruction set for changing the code. They never said that the new refreshed immobilizer codes need not be changed.
Old 15th November 2009, 19:06   #72
BHPian

Why are Scorpio's such a popular choice with thieves?

There are reasons to believe that there must be foul play in this break in, But the question is why would Mahindra people put their own reputation at stake. I just think that you ran into some very expert thieves who did all their home work right.

If there is any possibility of information or equipment leaking out, you should inform the Mahindra people also. i think you should just contact them at customercare@mahindra.com. I'm sure someone from Mahindra will get back to you. They usually do.

Last edited by Maximum_torque : 15th November 2009 at 19:08.
Old 15th November 2009, 19:31   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need to check on this. Because the dealership where i bought my scorpio handed me a two page instruction set for changing the code. They never said that the new refreshed immobilizer codes need not be changed.
Yes in fact you are right. The local dealer and his service guys (there were no gals there)were not able to tell me anything relevant and were always beating around the bush when asked about the immobiliser code and changes if any required.It started with one very, very wise guy telling me that the LX did not have any immobiliser at all. The Service Manager contradicted this.
Later on, the company helpline got me the relevant information that for the New Refreshed Scorpios the immobiliser codes were different for each machine.No changes were needed to be made.
This is when one esteemed member blogged and wrote in my thread that with a master key one could gain entry into the SUV, listen to Mallu hit and superhit songs but not move away from the place with the beasty SUV as the engine will refuse to start.
Old 5th February 2012, 15:50   #74

Re: Attempted Theft of Scorpio (2nd one ALMOST stolen)

Today at 4 am , cops show up at home, some one had tried to break into my scorpio lx, he pried open the passenger side door lock out , gained access to the vehicle, probably he was under the impression that since it was a LX model , it didnt have a Remote locking system. So the siren wailed , he then probably panicked and pulled all the wires off the battery terminal in an attempt to stop the siren. Since the power to the central locking unit was stopped the vehicle wouldnt start. I figure that in about 15 minutes more he would have figured out how to start the vehicle and escape.
Luckily my neighbour woke up and alerted the cops and drove the burglars away.

The vehicle is now with Mahindra service centre , NBS
Getting a gear lock installed,
Changing all locks of the vehicle
Also they say that they can install the VLX immobilizer to my LX model for 18,000 Rupees.
Will it help? and is there anything more that I can install to deter the thieves?
Do let me know.
Old 5th February 2012, 18:06   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Attempted Theft of Scorpio (2nd one ALMOST stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
Today at 4 am , cops show up at home, some one had tried to break into my scorpio lx, he pried open the passenger side door lock out , gained access to the vehicle, probably he was under the impression that since it was a LX model , it didnt have a Remote locking system. So the siren wailed , he then probably panicked and pulled all the wires off the battery terminal in an attempt to stop the siren. Since the power to the central locking unit was stopped the vehicle wouldnt start. I figure that in about 15 minutes more he would have figured out how to start the vehicle and escape.
Luckily my neighbour woke up and alerted the cops and drove the burglars away.

The vehicle is now with Mahindra service centre , NBS
Getting a gear lock installed,
Changing all locks of the vehicle
Also they say that they can install the VLX immobilizer to my LX model for 18,000 Rupees.
Will it help? and is there anything more that I can install to deter the thieves?
Do let me know.
I believe that rather than spending Rs 18 K on the VLX immobiliser, you can try a steering lock made of cast iron and with slotted holes for applying a good lock. This is the old kind with one hook getting grip of the clutch or brake pedal and the other end gripping the steering wheel.Believe this is quite a deterrent for thieves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks