Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 18:36   #1
BHPian

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3

NEW DELHI: After 'Phantom', Rolls Royce is ready to drive its most technologically advanced car 'Ghost' into India and hoped that at least 45 people with crores in disposable income would be charmed by the vehicle's simplistic design.

The company today previewed Ghost, the super luxury sedan with a whisper-quiet engine and a price tag of Rs 2.5 crore, in the country and expects the first delivery to happen in quarter one of next year. The 6.6 L twin-turbo car is charged with a V12 engine.

"We expect to sell 75 units in 2010 in India, of which 'Ghost' will comprise 50-60 units," Roll Royce Regional Director Asia Pacific Colin Kelly told reporters here.

Last year, the company had sold about 15 units in the country, comprising cars from the 'Phantom' family.

He said the company might witness a slowdown in its global sales this year because of the global recession. The company had globally sold 1,212 units of its cars last year.

This year, the company is looking to more than double its global sales. "We are looking for sales of 2,500 units globally in 2010, of which two-third is expected to come from the yet to be launched 'Ghost'," Rolls Royce General Manager (South and East Asia Pacific) Brenda Pek said.

She added that in India the company expects to sell 14-16 units this year and increase it to 75 units next year.

"Everybody is keeping an eye on India. India is a key market for us. Last year, we added our second dealership in Delhi and if demand increased we will expand more," Brenda said.

Rolls Royce has already received 25 bookings for the 'Ghost.'

To keep pace with the launch of 'Ghost', the BMW group company is also increasing its global headcount by adding 200 more to its staff this year.

"Globally, we have an employee strength of 700 and we are increasing this to 900 by end of this year, mainly to cater to the anticipated demand of the Ghost," Brenda said.

The UK-based company's global manufacturing facility is at Goodwood in Britain, where cars are hand-built by engineers.

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' ready to haunt Indian roads- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

India is again becoming 'Sone ki Chidiya' for foreign Companies.
Old 20th November 2009, 20:19   #2
BHPian

Fabulous car

Elegant and modern design
Attached Thumbnails
Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghost3.jpg  

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghost.jpg  

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghost2.jpg  

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghost4.jpg  

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghost5.jpg  

Old 20th November 2009, 20:50   #3
BHPian

The Ghost looks amazing,actually I like it more than the Phantom.
Old 20th November 2009, 20:51   #4
BHPian

Luxurious Interiors

Luxurious, graceful and elegant interiors with a Rolls umbrella and clock. Material quality looks impeccable as expected.

Rear legroom shorter than Phantom but perhaps more than Long wheel base 'S Class'.
Attached Thumbnails
Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghostfacia2.jpg  

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghostfront_seats.jpg  

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghostrear_seats.jpg  

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghostinterior.jpg  

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghostfacia_clock.jpg  

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghostfacia_detail.jpg  

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghostpower_reserve_dial.jpg  

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-ghostdoor_umbrella.jpg  

Old 20th November 2009, 21:55   #5
BHPian

My two pennies worth:

My personal opinion, only.
The interiors look much better than the exterior, particularly the front, especially the grille treatment (ugh!).
I remember a Top Gear article where a group of journalists were discussing their favourite cars where James May's choice was the Maserati Quattorporte and one of the reasons was its quiet grace. Elsewhere Jeremy Clarkson had described the RR Phantom as one which he would quickly park a little distance off his placa and quickly slink away, to sort off dissociate himself from it.

I am afraid the exteriors of the Ghost engender a similar feeling in me.

Where is that quiet grace, that understated, modest self assurance ( almost an oxymoron!)? Not there.

I would prefer the RR Silver Shadow of the early 70s or the Silver Cloud III of the 60s any day. A modern, VW owned Bentley ( albeit in a different category) is more characterful than these in your face monstrosities.

Regards
Old 20th November 2009, 22:01   #6
BHPian

now that's truly what i call 'classy'..pure perfect craftsmanship
if we were getting the same price as the western world..we would have had double the buyers!!
Old 20th November 2009, 22:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow.I'm stunned. This is way way better than the Phanthom. I love the name too"GHOST".
This is definitely going to walk over the bentley mulsanne.Definitely.Truly amazing vehicle.
RR are at the top of the game yet again(just when I thought they lost it to bentley).
Old 20th November 2009, 23:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

that's one RR that you don't need a chauffeur to drive you in to make a statement.
Old 21st November 2009, 07:22   #9
BHPian

Gorgeous and very inviting !! is all what I can say. Folks how practical it would be for Indian Roads. To my eyes it looks more modern than Bentley FS. What are the exact engine specs ?
Old 21st November 2009, 09:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
My two pennies worth:

Where is that quiet grace, that understated, modest self assurance ( almost an oxymoron!)? Not there.

I would prefer the RR Silver Shadow of the early 70s or the Silver Cloud III of the 60s any day. A modern, VW owned Bentley ( albeit in a different category) is more characterful than these in your face monstrosities.

Regards
I agree. Earlier RR designs were far superior to the current generation. The headlights of current Phantom are simply stupid. But this factor now extends to most of the new cars from all brands, where outlandish or angular designs are now more of a norm. Artistic designs are a thing of past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
now that's truly what i call 'classy'..pure perfect craftsmanship
if we were getting the same price as the western world..we would have had double the buyers!!
Amen. The number of buyers will be more than the double.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
This is definitely going to walk over the bentley mulsanne.Definitely.Truly amazing vehicle.
RR are at the top of the game yet again(just when I thought they lost it to bentley).
Bentley Mulsanne is in the league of Phantom. This will compete with Continental which is far cheaper than this at 1.5 crores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
that's one RR that you don't need a chauffeur to drive you in to make a statement.
True. This is targeted at a younger owner driving their car themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
whats the rishta(relationship) between the RR and the umbrella?
Every RR and most other Luxury cars come with a standard umbrella as it rains frequently in U.K., and Europe and owners would not like to get wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
What are the exact engine specs ?
Will post shortly.
Old 21st November 2009, 10:22   #11
BHPian

Ghost Specifications

V12 engine, 563 bhp @ 5250 rpm, 780 nm Torque @ 1500 rpm

8 Speed ZF Automatic gearbox

Acceleration; 0-100 kmph : 4.9 seconds

Top Speed - 250 kmph limited.

Automotive Nirvan

Detailed specs are in the attached sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: xls specs.xls (21.5 KB, 603 views)

Last edited by akj53 : 21st November 2009 at 10:30.
Old 21st November 2009, 11:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Great pics ! Can I have the link pls
Old 21st November 2009, 11:57   #13
BHPian

Droool!! am willing to part off with my property for it.. but am not sure rolls would be willing to part off with one of those for me (arent they still up with their BS babugiri?? 'selected customers only!')
Its a lovely car, the bentley flying spur never went down too well with me and this is absolutely gorgeous, i understand its a modern design and is gathering mixed reactions from purists but IMO its a definite step forward.. how i wish now that they come down from wonder land britain and offer it to all those who can afford it as well, with only select models like the phantom for their 'selective babugiri'..
Old 21st November 2009, 11:58   #14
BHPian

Still no roads to drive on - Will these cars see the road, i am guessing the owners will hide them in their garage most of the time

Attached Thumbnails
Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-123.jpg  

Rolls Royce's 'Ghost' to haunt Indian roads on 4th Dec EDIT: Launched pics on Page 3-1234.jpg  

Old 21st November 2009, 12:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures of the interiors. Class details.

Its nice to note that the car is a mix of time. Notice the clocks are all analog. Has a very royal feel to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks