Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 11:07   #16
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Could someone post a govt, or published Doc regarding the rules for BS4, am sure older private vehicles can be reregistered in any state and city in India once they have been registered once in India irrespective of the emmision norms that they subscribe to - else what would happen to classic and vintage cars?
Old 6th January 2010, 09:42   #17
BHPian

Mahindra has made a claim to the first vehicle that meets BS4 emission norms - on the 2010 Scorpio. I was discussing this with a friend and he said that the fuel available in most bunks is not ready for BS4 vehicles. Thoughts?
Old 6th January 2010, 12:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Mahindra has made a claim to the first vehicle that meets BS4 emission norms - on the 2010 Scorpio. I was discussing this with a friend and he said that the fuel available in most bunks is not ready for BS4 vehicles. Thoughts?
Don't think thats entirely true - in hyundai i10 brochure it is mentioned that i10 1.2 kappa is BSIII compliant and BSIV and BSV ready - that does not make i10 BSV compliant, as long as it does not use BSV compliant fuel.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Don't think thats entirely true - in hyundai i10 brochure it is mentioned that i10 1.2 kappa is BSIII compliant and BSIV and BSV ready - that does not make i10 BSV compliant, as long as it does not use BSV compliant fuel.
Very true.

Mahindra 'played' a little with words there. Moreover the new Honda CR-V/Merc/BMW etc are BS4 compliant from day one (they do not have to change anything). They never claimed it because the fuel is simply not good enough for BS4.
Old 6th January 2010, 14:52   #20
BANNED

@Gansan: The Octane ratings in both BS-III and IV are the same, though some other parameters differ. 91RON Regular, 95RON Premium. This why IOC ic cleverly advertising XP as Petrol with Friction Busters and not Premium. Also, I hear that Speed97 is now off the market. Who will pay Rs.10 permium for an additional 2RON (which may not even be there given the refining tolerances)

@Blackasta: To claim BS-IV certification you need BS-IV fuel which is not yet available.
Old 6th January 2010, 16:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
To claim BS-IV certification you need BS-IV fuel which is not yet available.
Correct me if I am wrong but isnt Maruti claiming the SX4 as BS-IV certified (after the VVT relaunch)?
Old 6th January 2010, 17:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but isnt Maruti claiming the SX4 as BS-IV certified (after the VVT relaunch)?
How is certification possible without BS IV fuel?
For example, I claim and everybody knows that I am a great student and can pass board exams(certification) at ease - but in order to achieve that I need to wait for the board exams in march and have the question paper(BS4 fuel)!!
Old 6th January 2010, 18:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
How is certification possible without BS IV fuel?
For example, I claim and everybody knows that I am a great student and can pass board exams(certification) at ease - but in order to achieve that I need to wait for the board exams in march and have the question paper(BS4 fuel)!!
The cert is done is a lab environment with the appropriate fuel which is made available to companies. Naturally its done in advance. Nobody waits till April 2010 to check if their new engine designs work.
Old 18th January 2010, 13:50   #24
BHPian

BS 4 for two wheelers

In all the discussions, we are referring to only cars, but my thought is that BS4 will also be applicable for two wheelers, right or wrong?

Nikhil
Old 18th January 2010, 14:36   #25
BANNED

I do not think there is much tightening up as far a petrol engined vehicles go. Also, for fuels what we now get is a major tightening in the Sulphur content (esp. diesels) which results in far lower Particulate Emissions.

With BS-II going out all petrol with be 91RON with Premium at 95RON. So the so-called premium will now have to become proper premium (95RON instead of 93RON).
Old 31st January 2010, 18:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have a doubt here. Hyundai i10's kappa engine is Euro 4 & 5 ready. But what about the iRDE currently doing duty in i10 and to an extent in the Santro Xing?

Will they not be available after BS IV norms have been implemented in those select cities? I find no word from Hyundai on it. Can someone let us have some information on it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks