Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 15:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post

To this thread now. Between Friday November 20 and Monday November 23, I crisscrossed the roads of Mumbai and New Delhi. Since the parking sensor issue is so fresh, my eyes automatically strayed to the bigger vehicles trying to see if they carried parking sensors.

Mumbai showed parking sensors in almost 25% of the cars: SX4, ANHC, Inova, Fusion, Optra, even a BMW, Dzire etc could be seen sporting the sensors, with or without the RV camera. I was in Mumbai for less than 24 hrs.

What I saw in New Delhi surprised me. In almost 48 hours that I was there, I guess I saw only about 5 cars with the parking sensors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post

MODS: I am a scientist by profession and would certainly not wish to spread wrong information.
So I have to assume it has to be correct.

Curious, how did you arrive at the percentages?
Old 24th November 2009, 16:10   #17
BHPian

The percentage (for Mumbai) is indicative and a manner of expression. I could just as easily have said "about one in four cars" to mean the same. And there was no percentage given for Delhi, only a number. I had just seen about 5 cars, and thats it.
Old 24th November 2009, 16:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Reverse parking senser seems to be useful for me. I fully depending on the sensors
and dont know when am going to hit the car on a wall or any other object,because no one knows how long the system will work and how far it will be accurate all the time. As of now, it is working perfectly.
Old 24th November 2009, 16:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have reverse parking sensors on the Ikon, thought they would be useful. However they are not much use in its intended purpose, especially in the Indian context. When the sensor shows fully backed up, I still have about a foot or more to go back to before hitting the rear object. Its quite a big gap when you are trying to park in choc-a-block areas.

However on a different note, the sensors do help if say a stray dog or a child comes in the way while reversing. This has helped me many times. Once while backing up on what seemed to be an open field, I was alarmed by the sensor going off, wanted to really check out whether it was a false alarm, there was a short stump in the way that I could not spot due to the high boot. Definitely saved me the cost of the bumper and justified the investment. Another time, there was a partially dilapidated brickwall, that too in complete darkness.

It does not serve its intended purpose for me, but what it does, I swear by it. It has saved my rear bumper on 2 occasions and indicated a puppy having veeered in my reversing path. What more do I want? Would recommend it to any car user.
Old 24th November 2009, 17:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Reverse parking senser seems to be useful for me. I fully depending on the sensors
and dont know when am going to hit the car on a wall or any other object,because no one knows how long the system will work and how far it will be accurate all the time. As of now, it is working perfectly.

For near objects the ultrasonic sensors have narrow cone of sensing.

If you have a high GC SUV beware of walls just an inch higher then lower end of bumper they are low enough to be ignored by sensor specially if they are towards extreme end but high enough to break low end of the bumper if your vehicle has enough momentum.
Old 25th November 2009, 09:13   #21
BHPian

I have reverse sensors installed in my Vista. The good part is you dont have to sprain your neck while reversing in crowded areas or doing a close parking like markets/by lanes. Just engage the reverse gear and go till the min distance and stop. I am enjoying it. Also, I am a less worried man when my wife takes the keys.
The bad part : "I am spoilt" !
Old 25th November 2009, 10:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

I downgraded from a mid size sedan to a sub 4m hatchback, so I do not have any problems at all while backing up (never had any with the sedan either) - but now I tend to leave a couple of feet gap behind the car (false sense of having a boot ) !
Don't think I shall need reverse parking sensors anytime soon.
Here in Kolkata we see few cars with reverse parking sensors, but the number is increasing.

Last edited by blackasta : 25th November 2009 at 10:43.
Old 25th November 2009, 12:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
However on a different note, the sensors do help if say a stray dog or a child comes in the way while reversing. .
This indeed is where it helps. Otherwise looking back and excercising your neck muscles at one go is the best option.

Anyway, here in kerala, even Altos can come with parking sensors, thanks to ultrasmart sales guys at showrooms - both at dealerships and accessories shops.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridsahmed View Post
...Also, I am a less worried man when my wife takes the keys...!
Now I am thinking: should I or should I not get parking sensors.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:00   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

1100D has made some very good points:
Sensors send out a false alarm if parking in crowded and tight-squeeze areas.
But they can be immensely helpful - say for example when one is backing up a tall SUV and there is a low obstruction in the way which one cant see in the rear view mirror - telephone junction box, those funny little hard plastic reflectors on the road which are sometimes used to demarcate parking space like in a Mall, and of course small children and animals who may be behind but invisible.
Sensors are certainly a help but it is very necessary for one to be well versed with the overall proportions of one's vehicle as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I have reverse parking sensors on the Ikon, thought they would be useful. However they are not much use in its intended purpose, especially in the Indian context. When the sensor shows fully backed up, I still have about a foot or more to go back to before hitting the rear object. Its quite a big gap when you are trying to park in choc-a-block areas.

However on a different note, the sensors do help if say a stray dog or a child comes in the way while reversing. This has helped me many times. Once while backing up on what seemed to be an open field, I was alarmed by the sensor going off, wanted to really check out whether it was a false alarm, there was a short stump in the way that I could not spot due to the high boot. Definitely saved me the cost of the bumper and justified the investment. Another time, there was a partially dilapidated brickwall, that too in complete darkness.

It does not serve its intended purpose for me, but what it does, I swear by it. It has saved my rear bumper on 2 occasions and indicated a puppy having veeered in my reversing path. What more do I want? Would recommend it to any car user.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:07   #26
BHPian

Would it not be a better idea to go for a parking Rear view camera which is more error free and easy. Why should anyone go for parking sensor when the camera is available.

Is it the cost or installation?
Old 25th November 2009, 14:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
For near objects the ultrasonic sensors have narrow cone of sensing.

If you have a high GC SUV beware of walls just an inch higher then lower end of bumper they are low enough to be ignored by sensor specially if they are towards extreme end but high enough to break low end of the bumper if your vehicle has enough momentum.
+
Thanks
I have ford fiesta and so far the senser is giving justice.

Dont know when it is going to make mistake and things will go wrong !
Old 25th November 2009, 14:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Would it not be a better idea to go for a parking Rear view camera which is more error free and easy. Why should anyone go for parking sensor when the camera is available.

Is it the cost or installation?
In my case, I did think of camera but after looking at the cameras in my office parking lot - I back tracked. I saw lot of dirt accumulation on the camera which would make it ineffective.
About price yes definitely the sensors are cheaper than camera - roughly by 2K. The accessory market is flooded with Chinese products in this category. I bought the sensors for 2.5K (with installation).
Old 25th November 2009, 14:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Maybe parking in Delhi is less of a task then parking in Mumbai??

Exactly - where is the parking space in Delhi to make use of such a equipment...

Seriously - its your choice, I moved from a Hatch to a Sedan, it helped a lot...
Old 25th November 2009, 14:53   #30
BANNED

I recently bought Indigo Manza and now want to add RD's sensors from their showroom. But the point made by the Manza sales guy that my warranty will be void if I do add any accessories from outside the showroom is stopping me. Any suggestions?.

Vijay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks