Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2010, 02:16   #76
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Skoda Yeti's launch is planned for June 2010 (as per AutoBahn).
Old 17th April 2010, 08:35   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Diesel Yeti in the range of diesel Laura? That would mean around 17 Lakhs on road?

How would that be a steal, when Yeti specs indicate that it is smaller than Scorpio/Safari?

Or did you mean Skoda stealing customers?
Are external 'dimensions' of the car the only guage to understand what it should be priced for ? 'Bigger' the better ?

Its a decade old mentality if you ask me.
Old 17th April 2010, 21:23   #78
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Are external 'dimensions' of the car the only guage to understand what it should be priced for ? 'Bigger' the better ?

+1
Look at Fiat 500 or Beetle.
Old 18th April 2010, 08:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My thinking stems from the value that the car offers. Mainly as a family mover.

From what I could gather from the specs available, Yeti may not be able to carry as many people as Safari or Scorpio. GC too appears to be in range of Scorpio, but less than Safari. It remains to be seen whether Yeti is able to reach places Safari or Scorpio cannot. Etc etc.

All the above are assumptions based on Yeti specs abroad.

Of course, positioning Yeti like Beetle means the ball game is different. Something like a niche 4WD. But in that case I would go for a jeep like Thar. Not a wannabe.

I think all the above are subjective criteria. To each, his own.
Old 18th April 2010, 08:34   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I think all the above are subjective criteria. To each, his own.
Well said. Thats what I have been saying right from the beginning.

For me an SUV like vehicle which can carry 5 people in comfort is perfect ! Mild off-roading, very good Highway driving and a towering presence on the city roads would do the job for me. Today no one delivers such a vehicle. Its totally a new sector !

Age old problem though still remain. Price and Skoda after sales.
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:34   #81
BHPian

I dont want to re-state the obvious but the handling, quality, fit, finish, class of a skoda or any german car is leagues above and beyond the tatas and the mahindras. ( All with due respect to the safari and the scorpio. They are great where they are positioned. )

If you want to compare the 'yeti' with regards to the dimensions and its specs, do so with the likes of X-Trail or the CRV.

Sounds yummy now, no ?
Old 25th April 2010, 18:46   #82
BHPian

Skoda Yeti production is going to start next month, yesterday I had been to Skoda showroom and was looking for Fabia white which was out of stock, the sales guy told that there would be waiting period for Fabia since they are now more concentrating on Yeti.

So Yeti may be expected in June or July.
Old 26th April 2010, 11:45   #83
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
So Yeti may be expected in June or July.
If that is the case then it would really make for an intresting months ahead for Yeti would surely create a stir in the market. Though i am keeping my fingers crossed on the pricing front.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:15   #84
SCH
BHPian

Skoda Yeti in India - Skoda Yeti Price, Skoda Yeti Reviews |CarDekho.com.

The above link givesa lot of info on the Yeti. I am a bit puzzled on the engine option and variant which they would launch in India. Scoopy members any Scoop on the upcoming model and more likely launch time.....................

Last edited by SCH : 26th April 2010 at 12:24.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:45   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont want to re-state the obvious but the handling, quality, fit, finish, class of a skoda or any german car is leagues above and beyond the tatas and the mahindras. ( All with due respect to the safari and the scorpio. They are great where they are positioned. )
I think you missed my point. It is a Skoda, not a Toyota. For a Skoda to make an impact the price has to be crucial. I said that a Yeti priced at 17 Lakhs on the road is not a compelling value propostion. Had it been a Toyota, story would have been different.

Quote:
Sounds yummy now, no ?
Proof of the pudding is in the eating. Current speculation is that Yeti is priced ex-showroom 17L (yes, ex showroom, not on the road). That is Fortuner territory. It does not sound yummy now to me.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:56   #86
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If Skoda can do a "Superb" on the Yeti, the car has huge potential. Think about it : Good engines, slushbox, top trim level, I think it'll make a compelling buy and make the urban buyer look away from the Fortuner / Endy types (even though they are a different class of vehicle technically).

Alas, the after-sales & long-term reliability remains a question mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
I am a bit puzzled on the engine option and variant which they would launch in India.
Safe to presume that whatever engine they offer will be from the current range (thus, 1.8 TSI & the new common-rail?).
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:33   #87
BHPian

Skoda has another opportunity to become a mass market car maker, just the way it is meant to be positioned in any market and in the VW family. The Yeti at around 10 lakhs or less ( for 1.2TSI, not the 4X4 version ) should provide a great option for those looking at Sedans at that price. I would think, that at Rs 10 Lakhs or less, it would even wean away people from the Corolla/Cruze segment. Skoda should think of the Yeti as its Octavia replacement in terms of price positioning. If it can then offer the new Octavia too at the same price point, then it will have a winning combination on its hands.

However just from a Yeti perspective, its success will lie in its competitive pricing. At a time in history when India is getting its best roads, and people are looking to buy vehicles suited for the frequent weekend highway rides, Skoda should not miss this opportunity by pricing Yeti the way they did with Fabia. Indians are unlikely to buy two cars ie one for city and one for highways, and therein lies Yeti's chance. Fabia is competitive at around the Punto price range, and I think Yeti will be so at the Rs 10 L mark.
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:40   #88
Team-BHP Support

I don't quite understand Skoda's pricing strategy. On the one hand they have the Superb which is spectacularly priced and its shown how that can translate into 'top of charts' status.

Then they have the Laura that I find a tad overpriced (I wouldn't have said this if they had the 2.0 Ltr engine across the range).

Then there's the Fabia which is outright overpriced.

I hope they assess the relative success of the above three and price the Yeti the Superb way. To me, that would mean not more than 16 L on road assuming the engines on offer are top of the line and not the base options.
Old 26th October 2010, 19:23   #89
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but are the alloys displayed on the first page available for purchase at the dealers? If so how much do they cost? Especially the 'Luxon' 18" ones.

Couldn't find any info on the website.
Old 26th October 2010, 21:36   #90
BHPian

Hi anekho, having purchased a Laura TSI recently and searched for choices to change the 15 inchers it came with, the ones seen here are definitely not available till last month. Settled for 16 inch Lyra, which comes in Elegance variant due to lack of other choices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks