Team-BHP - Similarities between Polo and Fabia
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Similarities between Polo and Fabia (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/73278-similarities-between-polo-fabia.html)

Note from Mod : Team-BHP's VW Polo Testdrive report has been uploaded at this linky. Please continue the discussion over on that thread.

This thread = closed.

Hi All,

Always thought whether Volkswagen Polo and Skoda Fabia will have any similarities,
apart from the common engines, since both are from the same parent company and also from the same factory atleast in India.
After seeing the interior pics of the Indian Polo i found a few similarities in the dashboard.
Guys, please post all the other similarities which you noticed..or guessed

Hope the service of Volkswagen and spares price isnt similar to that of Skoda:)

I think they are built on the same platform. Chassis is also similar!

I think the Fabia is built on the platform of the old Polo. The new Polo is built on an all new platform (shared with the Seat Ibiza... which is probably why a number of bhpians spotted a white Ibiza being tested in and around Pune).

Cant tell much from the pics.. Handbrake lever looks exactly the same. I'm a bit surprised that the quality of the Polo interiors is at par with, or even a notch below that of the Fabia.

I always thought that the Fabia is based on the Golf. Isn't that the case?

First generation Polo was based on PQ24 also known as A04. This generation of VW Polo i.e. Mark V, is based on PQ25 also known as A05.

So first of all, both the cars cannot be called similar. But PQ25 is an evolution of PQ24.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_pulsar (Post 1674580)
I always thought that the Fabia is based on the Golf. Isn't that the case?

Fabia is based on Polo. Till now, no Fabia takes Golf's platform. First generation is also based on PQ24 or A04. Second generation is also based on PQ24/A04.
Its the Octavia that is based on Golf.

from the exterior point of view if you suddenly look at swift and fabia you get confused(from a distance)

is this the camera angle or is it really that the right most AC vent is huge in Polo?

you can't see the similarities outright! they are very clever to hide it! but they have used the same material of plastics and bits and pieces! so with 75% localization! they have tried to keep the prices down. i just hope that the quality remains the same :D

speaking about the common engine between fabia & polo. Im sure VW has tweaked the 3 pot 1.2L engine of Fabia to fit in the polo . However can some one throw some light the performance of a 3 pot 1.2L fabia/polo engine

OT:

do you guys think steering of Polo looks borning ( atleast in pic).

Practically, which steering is better, one in Polo or Fabia?

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatpower (Post 1675122)
is this the camera angle or is it really that the right most AC vent is huge in Polo?

The Side AC vent in the Fabia is placed vertically wheras in the Polo it is placed horizontally. But size seems to be the same.
The centre AC vent looks similar. Even the Stereo and AC controls look similar, but in the Fabia AC controls are above the stereo and the opposite in Polo.

im attaching a brighter version of the same pic where you can see the AC controls

Overall the interior looks more rich in Fabia than Polo.
Is it because of the photographs?
Maybe those who saw the new POLO in flesh at the Auto Expo 10' can throw more light on this.

This is like comparing Chetan Bhagat's Novel to 3 idiots and identifying the differences :)

IMO, the only difference between the two cars is the interior and exterior looks. (Bodyline, dash trim, seats and stuff). The heart and the matter is all the same.

If you were to take the picture of the 'engine bays' of the Fabia and the Polo, and put it side by side, you wont be able to tell the difference one bit.
All the stuff in there is an exact copy, including the layouts and even the color combinations.

VW, Skoda & Audi share most of the common parts in their variants.

In my opinion, the Polo looks awesome externally.
Interiors however are a let down as compared to the Fabia. The Fabia feels more classy / richer here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by recshenoy (Post 1676055)
OT:

do you guys think steering of Polo looks borning ( atleast in pic).

Practically, which steering is better, one in Polo or Fabia?

Yes. Fabia steering has smooth curves and looks upmarket.
Polo steering looks a bit like a commercial vehicle steering.:)

Is that an indication that a lot of cost cutting has gone into the Indian POLO and it will be priced lesser than Fabia to take on the Swifts and Puntos?

Quote:

Originally Posted by theEnd (Post 1674384)
I think the Fabia is built on the platform of the old Polo. The new Polo is built on an all new platform (shared with the Seat Ibiza... which is probably why a number of bhpians spotted a white Ibiza being tested in and around Pune).

It was tested to see how one of the technologies thats used in Ibiza reacts on Indian conditions.

The same car also broke down when being tested and was kept idle for few weeks till the spares arrived. I had mentioned this in the other polo thread.

Pic:
Right: Polo that was being tested
Left: Seat Ibiza when it was kept idle

Saw the Polo at the expo. The interiors were definitely better than the Swift. The plastic quality was better and the fit and finish of the seats was also good.

I asked a VW rep there whether the engine was same as the one in Fabia. He denied it and said this engine is much more refined and quieter than the Fabia. Did not press him too much because of the crowd :(

Disclaimer: I have never been inside a Fabia nor driven one so I cannot compare between the two.