Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 19:09   #31
BHPian

Just sometimes in life it makes sense to price a diamond in line with the price of precious stones as opposed to the price of lets say gold and the phaeton is a gem.

Yes its an old car but even back then it was way ahead of its time so should still do well. And assuming they made a few modifications since then it is bound to be a brilliant car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
Did you know that Ferdinand Piech set 10 parameters for the Phaeton Engineers when it was being devised. These were meant to make the Phaeton the best car in the world. Period.

I dont remember them all but here is the one that stuck to my memory. The Phaeton should be capable of being driven all day at 300 kilometres per hour with an exterior temperature of 50 °C while keeping the interior temperature at 22 °C.
You are right Asif, the information you speak of (while you may be incorrect on the numbers) is true. The car featured in the 2002 TG and Jezza mentioned that particular fact about Ferdinand Piech. That particular piece is on youtube the link being below. It is from the 2002 season which if I am not mistakes in Season 4 of TG.

About how well it would fare in sales is something I am not sure on but as a product if people can look beyond the "People's Wagon!!! how can it be expensive bit" then it should do well considering its design principles factor in the Indian climate better than most EU cars.
Old 18th January 2010, 19:10   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Couldn't agree more. But at some point they will expect atleast some volume and save them the shame of negative publicity that will be received for launching the biggest flop. They can't sell the a8 at this pricing how do they expect this to even get double digit sales! I think a 60ish pricing will be good
A lower 60ish price with a good diesel heart (for practicality in Indian context) may help see it some numbers. Good for those who want to be anonymous but still want luxury.
Old 18th January 2010, 22:52   #33
BHPian

VW is NOT looking for numbers with this car. For numbers, they are up and ready with POLO. They just want to show MOST of the Indians (prospective POLO buyers) that they are capable of building this car. Maybe top guns of VW think that most of Indians (bound to buy POLO in near future) do not know that VW also happen to know that VW owns SKODA, AUDI and Porsche.
Old 19th January 2010, 08:06   #34
BHPian

The Phaeton is a fine car. Its disadvantage is that its a little heavier that others.

Regarding sales VW is not aiming to usurp the Maruti Alto with this. The sales will be in double digits. I already know two who have booked the vehicle! Oh yeah, they do not rely on their car for 'social upgrades' and are complete car nuts.
Old 19th January 2010, 08:51   #35

@ 1-Testosterone, I don't think VW will want prospective Polo buyers in India to know they own Skoda but it should work for Audi and Porsche.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:58   #36

Hyundai should follow VW and should launch their Genesis and Equus sedans.

Then the luxury market will get more interesting...
Old 19th January 2010, 10:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
VW should launch this in the price range of Mercedes E class in order to garner sales. Rs 75 Lakh i feel is a bit wayy too expensive for this one.
They can't. This car is too loaded, too technologically superior and it deserves that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
I agree to say that its a competitor to all the models you mentioned but it doesnt have the brand image or value.

Vw is soon launching a car worth Rs 4-5 Lakh in the Indian market. and this is the car from the same manufacturer for 75 lakh

would anyone buy a car from Maruti or Hyundai for 75 Lakh?

I agree this one is also technologically loaded but its quite a slow seller wherever its being sold.

my point of view might be different but not totally incorrect

and if i am given the offer to be the in-charge of pricing, i would definately price it at E-Class levels to steal some sales from Mercedes and BMW

Regarding the company..

I think its a bad move by VW to launch this car in the market such as INdia where it is simultaneously planning to launch its cheapest model the Polo, i am not saying polo is not a good car, but if VW's strategy is to look at all types of customers, from 4-75 lakh range, i think thats a too wide spectrum to look at
The have brands like AUdi etc to take care of that price range dont they?
VW is using the TOP down approach, get high end cars, make the brand premium, when there is a a lot of 'desire' for the brand then get into the mass market. That is what they are doing.

While i agree with you on a certain level, when they are launching super cute cars like the Beetle and serious cars like the Toureg,the old pheaton is a bummer (looks wise) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Phaeton is not here to sell, and VW very well knows that it won't. The sole purpose of the 75 lakh Phaeton is to raise the value of the VW brand in the market. Think about it, super cool Beetle, 75 lakh luxury car, 60 lakh Touareg......and last, a 5 lakh rupee hatch. "Wow, I want a VW".

That's the plan atleast.
Spot On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
They should have gone ahead and launched the brilliant VW CC priced against the 3 series and the brilliant Tiguan priced just above a CRV.
The passat CC will be launched in a bit, am sure they will be waiting to launch that as the passat in its current avatar is not burning the sales charts

Cheers,
ac
Old 19th January 2010, 13:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
This the same thought I got and i think many people might think of maintenance cost.For example even some late 90's E class are sold for just 5 lakh rupees(source ACI) but many people shy away from that due maintenance.India maintenance is something which most of them think twice before they buy.
I feel 75 Lakh for Phaeton is high but when you consider it has an CBU the they have priced it well,because base V6 cost 45000 pounds and then multiple with Rs 80 and add 110% you will end 60 thousand more than what the price is they have given.
Slight correction in your calculations Sudan_NFS.
You see UK is also a very highly taxed country so there is a large chunk of tax invilved in the 45000 pound price. When VW exports the car, they do not pay tax at origin. So effectively, it is most likely a 30,000 pound price over which the 110% Customs duty is going to be levied. Try calculating on this numer and you will see that while this is a Halo car, VW is still going to make a significant amount of change for selling every piece.
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:19   #39
BHPian

There was an ad today in TOI about this car's launch. I actually thought it would compete with Accord, Teana and the likes. Never knew its a 75 lac car! Need to see how many would prefer buying a 75 lac VW, when there BMWs Mercs and even Jaguars in that price range.
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
The Phaeton is a fine car. Its disadvantage is that its a little heavier that others.

Regarding sales VW is not aiming to usurp the Maruti Alto with this. The sales will be in double digits. I already know two who have booked the vehicle! Oh yeah, they do not rely on their car for 'social upgrades' and are complete car nuts.

>>> Agree completely with the above view. This car will appeal only to those who want S Class levels of comfort, power, sense of indestructibility, build quality very very discreetly.

Whereas to most Indian car buyers the Phaeton's styling can be dubbed as bland and maybe even boring, to the few who buy its understated, plain Jane looks might well be an attraction.

I agree with GTO's comments on as to why VW has introduced the car in India - it is hoping that its image will be burnished as a maker of high quality vehicles. I see nothing wrong in that idea.

Moreover, buyers in that segment may not always be looking for the best car technologically. Pleasure may be derived by the knowledge of owning a very well made but rare car.

Regards
Old 4th June 2010, 15:26   #41
BHPian

I just felt this at the back of my head - VW launched the old Phaeton and Touareg in India at a time when the new ones were just months away. So are they disposing off the old stock to Indian customers?
Old 4th June 2010, 15:42   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Bingo! But super VFM could be a better way to go about this. Imagine german quality levels at way better prices then the competition. Right now all their cars are absurdly priced according to me atleast (sans the polo) why dont they not commit the mistake everyone else made and kick skoda out of the equation altogether? I mean are they trying to fit somewhere in between all the camry's and accords via vis mercs and bimmers?
i disagree , all other products including the beetle , touareg and now this one seens to be well spec and well priced also . look at the compitition , a similar spec Q7 will cost you more then 12 lks then the touareg and about the beetleits seems well priced too considaring TT and look at the 350 z costs upwards of 56 lks.
Old 4th June 2010, 15:48   #43
BHPian

What I'd like to see is an unbiased comparison between the Phaeton and its competition. And I'm talking about a very in depth track test with all the gadgetary attached to take measurements.

Get the top auto journalists to do this and this will end the debate on car superiority. Then leave it for the buyers to judge whether they want a superior car or a superior brand.
Old 5th June 2010, 06:09   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
Did you know that Ferdinand Piech set 10 parameters for the Phaeton Engineers when it was being devised. These were meant to make the Phaeton the best car in the world. Period.

I dont remember them all but here is the one that stuck to my memory. The Phaeton should be capable of being driven all day at 300 kilometres per hour with an exterior temperature of 50 °C while keeping the interior temperature at 22 °C.

My assumption is that this was probably meany for the W12 engine but you can imagine the engineering that went into creating this masterpiece.
You guys should realize that this is all a marketing gimmick and nothing else. Any decently engineered car should be able to achieve that if you can provide it with some good quality heavy engine oil (synthetic of course) and keep the engine tolerances up to spec. Of course you'll have to have an engine powerful enough to reach 300kph!

The tricky part is doing the opposite. Maintaining 22 degree C inside the cabin while it is -50 (C or F) outside and then running it constantly at 300 kph. I would like to see how they can keep their radiator from freezing up completely.
Old 5th June 2010, 20:04   #45
BHPian

VW Phaeton = Handcrafted Luxury??? Nah its a Handcrafted Masterpiece.

Guys i got a call from my consultant at VW Downtown Mumbai. He asked me to come over and have a look at the Phaeton. I was simply awed byt his beauty after a TD which lasted well over an hour. Had to take pics from the E71, so sorry for the poor quality. Neck Deep in work so wasnt able to send pics of my car ( Passat ) either and thought it was more important to upload these. Enjoy. Will answer queries if Ppl have. By the way the VW dealer has been amazing. Got a chance to have a spin in the Polo with the German Stunt Driver Ronny Last Thursday at Inorbit Mall Malad. All Hail Team-BHP!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs-05062010276.jpg  

Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs-05062010277.jpg  

Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs-05062010278.jpg  

Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs-05062010279.jpg  

Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs-05062010280.jpg  

Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs-05062010281.jpg  

Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs-05062010282.jpg  

Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs-05062010283.jpg  

Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs-05062010285.jpg  

Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs-05062010286.jpg  

Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs-05062010287.jpg