Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2010, 17:30   #16
BHPian

[quote=aargee;1707352]I was just expecting this news. Somehow I tend to believe that if there's any recall on any vehicle in whole world, the least affected country will be India. Is it because the car manufacturer tends to believe that they can get away with law more easily than their customers OR the customers will not create noise to be noticed by others?

No!! it is because people in INDIA will still go out and buy a car made by that freaking manufacturer.Mind you if this was a recall by a TATA everybody in this forum would start shouting from the top of their lungs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Are you trying to say we should be bashing Honda here? Recalls do happen once in a while to the best of manufacturers. In fact, a company that admits to a mistake and takes steps to fix it has my respect. And that is irrespective of whether its Fiat, Honda or anyone else.
You are talking about "HONDA" and not a new entrant into the market. While you guys complain on the lack of quality of the fit and plastics of an Indian Car co, why is the reaction so MUTED?? Where are the complains about wanting refunds and safety and accusing Ratan TATA and Anand Mahindra what not?? Atleast the TATA/FIAT/Mahindra owners don't pay through their nose for a car while the rest pay and get this!!
Nice going Suffer now, it is time we Indians look at ourselves and evaluate the Indian Car co's without any prejudice.
Old 30th January 2010, 17:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I don't recall any car/model being recalled in India. Is this really a first time?
Anyway, what exactly does happen in case of a recall? Customers would have to take the vehicles back to the authorised service center and they rectify the fault? Or is something more involved like compensating the potentially affected customers?
1) I think second generation Accord had some issue with fuel pump and there was a recall.

Toyota also had a small recall with Innova for some rear suspension or axle issue. Toyota stated that in worst case, the car would stop, nothing more.

2) Jazz in India will not be recalled.
Source : No Jazz recall in India, says Honda

Article :
Quote:
NEW DELHI: Honda Siel Cars India said on Friday that India will not be a part of the global vehicle recall, announced by its parent reports of defects in some of its models.

"There won't be any impact on the recall in India because the Jazz that is being sold in India is a second generation vehicle, which is not a part of the global recall," a Honda Siel official said.

The official said the Jazz that is being recalled globally is the previous generation model.

The company had launched the premium hatchback Jazz in India in June last year and has sold about 6,000 units so far.

Honda Siel Cars India Ltd, (HSCI) is a joint venture between Honda Motor Co Ltd, Japan and Siel Limited, a Siddharth Shriram Group company.

Honda has announced the recall of its Jazz model after reports of defective power window switches.

A international media report said the company is recalling 6.46 lakh cars across different markets in the world.
3) However, there is no news for G3HC i.e. ANHC. They have just mentioned that Jazz will not need recall.

And what about G3HC i.e. NHC ? That car was based on first generation Jazz which is currently being recalled globally.

4) OT :
What is going wrong with Japs ? First Toyota which is in a reasonably big trouble, and now this. This is similar to Ford and GM recall issues of 1990's IMHO.
Old 30th January 2010, 18:47   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

I've put up a clarification in the opening post. This recall does NOT affect the ANHC (currently sold Honda city) or the Honda Jazz.

In India, it applies only to the 2007 NHC (previously sold Honda City generation, the weird looking one).
Old 1st February 2010, 10:24   #19
BHPian

time to introspect

[quote=kingpin1;1707461]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
No!! it is because people in INDIA will still go out and buy a car made by that freaking manufacturer.Mind you if this was a recall by a TATA everybody in this forum would start shouting from the top of their lungs.
I partially agree with Kingpin1. We do go over the top about our local manufacturers. Although I believe recalls at the least show that the manufacturer is accepting an error. We hyperventilate on fitment issues and plastics of Tata or a Mahindra but when Honda or toyota is found with fault we say its one in million and its good they are doing a recall. What we ignore is that these are vehicles that charge us a premium and boast of reliability. I am not saying we should go Honda bashing but its time we questioned if they deserve the premium they demand.
Old 1st February 2010, 12:08   #20
BHPian

[quote=chittybang;1709489]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin1 View Post
I partially agree with Kingpin1. We do go over the top about our local manufacturers. We hyperventilate on fitment issues and plastics of Tata or a Mahindra but when Honda or toyota is found with fault we say its one in million and its good they are doing a recall. What we ignore is that these are vehicles that charge us a premium and boast of reliability. I am not saying we should go Honda bashing but its time we questioned if they deserve the premium they demand.

I totally agree with this point of view.
Its time we re-evaluate our blind fixation on Japanese cars.

Imagine something like this happening to TATA MANZA, for example. We would have gone ahead and asked for replacement of the entire car (and i dont think am exagerrating).
Since its Honda, we are happy that a Recall is taking place.
So much for the premium charged on these cars in the name of RELIABILITY !!!

Coming to the topic.,,
Iam really unsure whether my 2008 ANHC is free from this manufacturing flaw.

For the record, I really dont blindly buy the officail Honda statement / press note (since I dont blindly trust them).

Adding to the apprehension is the fact that I already had a defect on my Power Window Switch a few months back (which according to the dealer has been Fully Rectified).

Also considering the information that ANHC is based on previous generation JAZZ (which is now being recalled), am wondering should i actually sit back and relax assuming the Honda press note is true at face-value and the ANHC is free from trouble !!

Can someone in this forum throw credible light on the subject, for me to get rid of my apprehensions pertaining to my ANHC??
Old 1st February 2010, 15:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thats a scary thing from the Jap! Quality was always been overlooked by the Indian market when it comes to the Jap manufacturers (Honda/Toyota).
Old 4th February 2010, 11:23   #22
BHPian

Thought i'd give an update.

I spoke to RRH Service, and they will be getting a list of affected cars by Monday, 8th Feb. If your car is affected, you can take an appointment and get the power windows switches changed.

This is for cars manufactured in 2007.
Old 4th February 2010, 11:41   #23
BHPian

Its indeed a good thing that they are doing a recall. And you really cannot compare this to problems with tata vehicles . Ask someone who owns / owned an Indica like myself . For every 1 part changed in an honda / hyundai vehicle there would be 5 changed in Tata.

No exageration here . All from personal experience. I have used an indica till 2004 and used hyundai and honda later. And it was not a version 1 . It was a v2 which was supposed to be free of all initial defects.
Old 4th February 2010, 11:44   #24
BHPian

If I can recall rightly..in 2008 a HC caught fire in Delhi I guess and the occupants dies..that time it was blamed on the electronics. Can't remember the details..if someone does then please share.

While recalls aren't a very bad thing what needs to be seen is that what is the reason behind it and especially in India where no Honda car is truly worth the selling price it is a problem. If the fault can't harm anyone one might not complain much about it but in issues like this one really needs to ask questions.

Off late the Japanese have certainly gone downhill in terms of quality. Especially Toyota and Honda. Last year Toyota was beaten even by Hyundai in terms of parts reliability in the US. Honda has also started developing quality issues. Mitsu also issued a major recall a short time back for a certain batch of Evo X. It's time that we as a consumer recognise our power and buy accordingly. If the aam janta in India stops blindly buying cars like Honda City for 9-10 lakhs the company will certainly start paying heed to every small detail and price the cars competitively. it's because we blindly buy anything from Honda & Toyota at any absurd price that these guys are now focused only in minting money and selling more units per annum. In pursuit of the volumes they have gradually started to compromise with quality. Just look at their cars these days. They look as if they have been designed by accountants in a board room to meet the targets of financial documents rather than designers to satisfy the senses of a driver. just compare the design of the OHC with the weird looking previous model and the present model which looks so much like a HYBRID.
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:55   #25
BHPian

Did anyone get a replacement for their Power Window Switch? Last I checked with Gurgaon dealerships, they had no idea and were transferring my call from one person to the next.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks