Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 20:27   #16
BHPian

A Hyundai for 40 lakhs? No ways. Anyone who has 40 lakhs to spend on a sports car, would not mind putting an addition 10-15 lakhs for a TT or a Boxter I am sure. It will flop like the Terracan, that ugly monster of an SUV.
Old 12th February 2010, 20:35   #17
BHPian

well the 30lakh rupees segment is not a hot selling segment.It is still a very niche segment in india & will be the same for some time to come.People in that segment demand a brand image which sadly the hyundai has not been able to create. History shows that when ever they priced anything beyond 10L , they have not tasted success.In fact instead of such a luxury segment , hyundai should explore the feasibility of i30 & price it competitively. 30L segment will be ruled by Beemers , Mercs , Audis & the likes. Chow.
Old 12th February 2010, 21:03   #18
BHPian

The base 4-cylinder 210 hp Genesis coupe here in the US retails for around $23,000 and the base 6-cylinder 306 hp version retails for $26,000. US prices may have nothing to do with how much the cars are going to cost in India, but let me make a wild assumption that Hyundai goes the CBU route and is able to price the coupes at 150% more than those in the US. At current exchange rates, that comes to 26.7 Lakhs and 30.2 Lakhs respectively.

It’s not going to sell much, but I hope Hyundai brings in the almost-as-quick-as-a-370Z V6 Genesis for 30-35 lakhs.
Old 12th February 2010, 21:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

If Hyundai cant sell a Sonata, how on earth would they be able to sell this? Rs 25-30 lakhs is in German catagory.
Old 12th February 2010, 21:16   #20
BHPian

30 L for a Hyundai when I can have the europeans like Merc & Audi & Beemer, certainly need to think. Also not to forget the agressive strategies which BMW is taking to notch Indian market by stripping down 3 series to 23-24 L making it even more stiffer competition.
Old 12th February 2010, 23:16   #21
BHPian

Exactly my point. This just won't sell. So i don't see a point in Hyundai bringing it to India.
Old 12th February 2010, 23:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

The Genesis is a lovely car and has received rave reviews the world over! Its a little hard to say whether the car will sell well in India or not,but it deserves to! If Hyundai works out an aggressive pricing strategy(18L-24L),then maybe who knows..?!
Old 13th February 2010, 03:58   #23
BHPian

Before bringing Genesis they should bring the latest version of Sonata, its really great upgrade from Hyundai and it can give serious competition to Accord and Camary if they price it 2 lack below them.
Also the new Tucson is no less than CRV if not equal but in looks its respectable with all new changes.
Old 13th February 2010, 10:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

I still believe it would sell in decent numbers. This would be an exotic car and will be well received. Hyundai as I have mentioned in my previous posts, has shed a low cost car makers image long ago. Their products are now world standard and give fight to the best in the world.

15 cars a month is still a good number for this car. How many Porsche's are sold a month?

PS: I am feeling very weird as I have never liked Hyundai personally and had issues with "santrowale" but this car has bowled me over!
Old 13th February 2010, 13:10   #25
BHPian

Amtak, i agree with you that Hyundai has come a long way in quality. I sat in the 2009 Elantra, the quality of plasitcs used is much better than that used in cars above its segment.
I don't think they can sell 15 cars a month. That category is a very niche segment, and people looking for cars in that segmanet will definitely want more snob value.
Old 13th February 2010, 13:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post

Have you heard about the Supercar Club of India? I think 99% of the cars there are 2 door with very low ground clearance
And what's the member count there?
They just can not bring a car for a handful enthusiasts. See how A more practical car like Cedia is selling in India.
Old 13th February 2010, 18:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
And what's the member count there?
They just can not bring a car for a handful enthusiasts. See how A more practical car like Cedia is selling in India.
HM-Mistubishi have just opened a shop in India for namesake. I don't think they are even interested in selling anything beyond the Lancer or the Ambassador. It's the lack of committment when we speak of HM-Mitsu and Not lack of practicality.
Old 13th February 2010, 22:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

If a company like Nissan,which is relatively new to the market can get the 370Z here,Hyundai,which has got a much better foothold can surely afford to bring the Genesis coupe to India.IIRC they even had plans to get the Coupe here long back,but the plan got scrapped eventually.

@amtak:I share your fascination with the Genesis too! Its indeed a great car!
Old 14th February 2010, 12:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

We need to Change our perception for Hyundai + Suzuki, etc

Genesis, & infact Hyundai are far better cars now-a-days which compete with European brands in North America. Their 8 cylinder engine has won the bet engine award over BMW, VW, MB, Audi, etc. This sould the doubts of we T-BHPians to rest, as we have better information over common public.

It is only in India, where due to lack of information regarding good cars like the SX4 (including 2l & 4X4 version) & Kizashi, Genesis (sportster & luxury sedan), etc, the market for the above mentioned cars from Suzuki & Hyundai, respectively, does not exist. Though in US these are rated better over Accords, Camrys & Altimas, & at par with BMW, Audi, etc.

We Indians rate average offerings from Honda, Toyota, Nissan, VW, Skoda, Renault, etc higher over excellent products from Hyundai or Suzuki.

I would rate SX4 offerred in India better over the Honda City. My rationale:
1. If maintained in proper rev-band it can return better mileage (~ 12 kmpl, as may T-BHPians have reported);

2. It has better ride quality over City;

3. Wider Tyres means better traction, which contributes to the handling but has negative impact on mileage, due to which we feel that City gives better mileage;

4. MASS is far better than Honda's (cheap & widely available);

5. Price is cheaper & features are on the higher side;

6. Suzukis are not having any global recall for the time being.

Admitted that City (owing to common people perception regarding brand value) would command better resale value later on but kindly consider the price difference at the time of purchase of the car.

We Indians definitely need to appreciate good products over brand names.

Please (re-) consider opinion regarding Hyundai, Suzuki, Tata & Mahindra
Old 14th February 2010, 13:29   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As many have already posted, Hyundai can't sell a 15 lakh rupee Sonata....a competent car in its own right. Actually, you'd think they do NOT want to sell it at all. What with no cars being available for testdrives, zero marketing etc.

But hey, if the Genesis is launched in India, it would make for one heck of a used car buy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks