Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes Benz launches the S Guard in India

Mercedes Benz India has launched the the S Guard in India. It is based on the W221 S600. Some highlights of the Guard:
  • 12 cylinder bi turbo engine, 517 BHP and 830 Nm of torque
  • Modified vehicle structure and suspension to provide a solid foundation for the integration of the heavy special-protection elements
  • It is engineered to resistance level B6/B7 of High Protection. Its armour resists military-standard small-arms projectiles and provides protection against fragments from hand grenades and other explosive charges. Additional safety features include run-flat tyres, a self-sealing fuel tank and a fire-extinguishing system.
  • Protective elements are integrated into the bodyshell in a dedicated production process. This creates a coat of armour around the entire passenger cell. Even the roof frame struts, door locks, door gaps, exterior mirror mountings and other components are incorporated into this security concept.
  • The Guard comes with the night view assist system which reduces the risk of accidents during the hours of darkness. This system is based on infrared light, which is invisible to the human eye and will therefore not dazzle oncoming traffic. Two infrared head-lamps illuminate the road, significantly extending the driver’s range of vision when on low beam. An infrared camera mounted on the inside of the windscreen picks up the reflected image of the road ahead and displays this in the instrument cluster.
  • Other safety features include front airbags which deploy in one or two stages, depending on the situation, sidebags, specially developed windowbags for the longer rear compartment, belt tensioners and NECK-PRO luxury head restraints.

Mercedes Benz launches the S Guard in India-pic-1.jpg
Dippy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:49   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Economic times reports that cost for this is 6 cr.
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:54   #3
BHPian

Dippy your signature line about the Jag might need a change in the light of this car, don't you think.
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Counsulate car & Indian premier car category I'd say, for the level of shell and security on the car.
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:25   #5
BHPian

i have seen the car in bangalore.its one heaven of a car.each door weights 300 kgs out of the 4 tonne weight of the vehicle.the door cannot be just closed it has to be pushed as in you are push starting a car.the thickness of the glass is almost 2 inches.it has fire extinguishers in the side.has a mic in the cabin with a speaker outside to negotiate with the terrorists .has bullet proof tyres too.has oxygen masks like in the aircraft.the only thing i liked in this car was the heart of it.12 cylinder.
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Is this in CKD form? or CBU? if CBU then I don't see the fuss for a press release as those were anyways available for imports?
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

It is obviously a CBU. Merc has already sold 6 of these in India! But what the heck is this car made up of...4 tonnes!!!!
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:51   #8
BHPian

god, this is one heavy car. wouldn't it been a little better if they could have styled the car a little differently from the normal S?

Last edited by ishotmydog : 22nd February 2010 at 22:06.
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Has Bimmer got something similar. I was going through PR war b/n Bmw n MERC by GTO. Surely BMW will launche similar car in coming days

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
god, this is one heavy car. wouldn't it been a little better if they could have styled the car a little differently from the normal S?
May be they dont want to let every one know that this car is special bullet proof car! Else attackers might use heavier ammunations on car

@nandishpal

Dude where n when you saw this car in Bangalore? WOuld really like to see this in flesh.

PS: 4 ton car! what could be the FE
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:31   #10
BHPian

With a W12 and a 4 tonne kerb weight, I'd say somewhere in the first few digits of our number system. A lot of our celebs already have got bullet proof cars ordered from abroad. Now of course, they can just buy one off the shelf without going through all the hassles of importing one themselves.
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:58   #11
BHPian

read about it the paper this morning.

5.5 cr is the stock version.

Bulletproofing costs 4 cr more (assuming S600 is for 1.5 cr)??
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Has Bimmer got something similar. I was going through PR war b/n Bmw n MERC by GTO. Surely BMW will launche similar car in coming days
BMW also have similar cars ( I read somewhere).

Its a politicians car, but there is a lot of interset from some of the barons.
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:21   #13
BHPian

read this morning about the s-guard and also about the road caving in at kalachowki. well we need better roads and infrastructure to handle this heavy beast
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:05   #14
BHPian

I read this in NDTV , I think they might sell in good number at least 10 -15 per year.They might mostly target the Government High officials like MPs and take the order from the government too.

I am sure BMW also has one of this kind and it's a B7 range.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:09   #15
BHPian

Here is a link to the BMW equivalent:
BMW Security Vehicles

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks