Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 18:55   #16
BHPian

While I am all for changing models and bringing in the best-in-breed to our country, I am not sure how Fiat will handle change-over to a new model. I remember when I bought my Palio, people would ask "what car is that?" "Oh! its a Fiat Palio!" "really? Fiat what now?" "Fiat P A L I O! Palio!" "Ooohh, Fiat car. Must be sturdy!" and then comes the curious look.

Its taken Fiat quite a bit of time to generate interest in the Palio and the momentum they have, though minimal, is sustaining whatever is left here. I'd be more inclined to re-badge one of their hatches as the Palio and bring it over as the name is now known rather than introduce a new model which again would require convincing etc. Not to mention the Tata guy trying to pry you away to take a look at the all new "windows" vista. :

But all said and done, I am hyper excited about the Linea. I think it will be the make-or-break point for Fiat in India. Good luck!
Old 30th August 2008, 10:03   #17
BHPian

Panda is supposed to be a good car offering a good drive and ride.
IMO, the Palio should co-exist, and form the bootom of the line-up for Fiat.
Old 30th August 2008, 11:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
FIAT should be phased out of India. They have nothing to offer other than a hastily put together decades old design with patchy after sales network or support. The collaboration with TATA hasn't proven to be a rip-roaring success, has it?. They should quit gracefully. Their line up overseas isn't worth getting excited about either.
The question was whether Palio should be phased out!!!Lets stick to that.
You cant expect sudden uptrend in sales after tie up with Tata. It ll take sometime. Wait for Linea and Punto launch & i would like to see your comments then !!!
Old 30th August 2008, 14:10   #19
BANNED

Something they should do urgently if they can't keep on updating the current model.
The freshening up jobs came in very late and they ought to do better in future.

If it's not possible by the company, then the next best option is to replace it or phase it out. This is not applicable to Palio alone but any good car.
Maruti tried and tried it's best with their cars until competition came in. If they couldn't succeed, I don't think Fiat will.

It's not the matter if it will sell in very limited numbers or if there're people to buy it in limited numbers. The car will loose it's respect and will become an eyesore for many. Soon, it will become a laughing stock. Remember what happened to Dolphins? I know one of my neighbours who had one and whenever he takes it out for a spin, people used to eat mud laughing their stomachs out.

Why doesn't Fiat launch the latest Avatars of Palio available elsewhere in the world like Brazil etc..? This car was designed for developing countries (say 3rd world), did India become a developed country so soon in Fiat's agenda? Come on! We need to see newer models too.
Old 30th August 2008, 14:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Something they should do urgently if they can't keep on updating the current model.
The freshening up jobs came in very late and they ought to do better in future.
May be that's the problem. They always had good cars (Palio, Adventure, why, even the UNO sold well despite it's decade old design) but never followed it up with proper A.S.S

The updates were never on time, it was more of a last minute effort to save their existence. Thank god I did not buy a fiat UNO that I was actively considering when I got my Indica back in 2003 (Yea, it was still available then and was selling at a heavy discount).

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Why doesn't Fiat launch the latest Avatars of Palio available elsewhere in the world like Brazil etc..? This car was designed for developing countries (say 3rd world), did India become a developed country so soon in Fiat's agenda? Come on! We need to see newer models too.
They better do unless they want to die a slow death on Tata's hands.

When I saw Speedzak's post on a FIAT thread, I was expecting fireworks here. Look what I see.....
Old 30th August 2008, 14:56   #21
BHPian

I strongly feel FIAT have good cars but require to have a proper and efficient A.S.S. It surely doesn't mean that by signing an agreement TM their A.S.S will improve.
My other concern is that FIAT require to keep on doing small and Subtle changes to their CAR's to keep their freshness and also increase their PLC.
Even after launching good cars like GP if their A.S.S is as it is TODAY then surely they are going to be reduced into an Engine supplier in INDIA.

Therefore it doesn't make any sense in launching Panda and discontinuing Palio's. They should have as many cars they can but first ensure their A.S.S is improved ASAP

Their line up could be,
Palio,
Panda,
GP,
Price reduced Bravo,
Linea,
Old 14th March 2010, 15:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Palio vs Fiat Panda

What do you think should FIAT continue using Palio as their entry level car or change to the highly acclaimed Fiat Panda which they use in Europe??

The Fiat Palio was developed as a world car by Fiat but hasn't been a very successful model in India. Even now when the fortunes of FIAT seem to be going up the Palio is still a non-performer.

The Panda comes with 3 engines options a 1.1L Petrol with 55bhp and a 1.2L petrol with about 60bhp and the 1.3L MJD with around 70bhp. It also has a 4x4 version and a very hot version with a 100hp 1.4L FIRE engine that powers the Punto. Here are some of pics. The 1st is a standard one, the 2nd a 4x4 one and the 3rd the 100bhp one.

I think the Panda would help FIAT completely overhaul its image and give it a product range of great cars. What say people??
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio vs Fiat Panda-fiat_panda_1280.jpg  

Fiat Palio vs Fiat Panda-fiatpanda_4x4_2004_800x600_wallpaper_07.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 15th March 2010, 09:04   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Makes sense to launch this car. But can it be priced below the Punto is the question?

By the way how much does the car cost in Europe
Old 15th March 2010, 09:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

I believe Fiat is already planning something like this in Brazil and India, to replace Palio. From what I read, the new car seems to be a cross of Panda and 500 in design. You could check ::ITALIASPEED:: for new Uno. There are a few spy photos caught in Brazil, and the profile looks very similar to Panda.
Old 15th March 2010, 09:30   #25
BANNED

The Panda will be the right car to take on the Ritz/Beat/i10.
Old 15th March 2010, 10:12   #26
BHPian

I had said this earlier in one of the FIAT threads too. If FIAT aims to be a volume player, then the Punto will not do the job for them. Punto is a good car, but it cannot compete with the cars in the volume segments (WagonR, i10, Swift etc). They have to bring something that is cheaper, smaller, lighter and more fuel efficient. And Panda has all the above.

Punto, they should move up into the premium segment, give bigger engines, better interiors and price it a tad higher too. With the Punto in the current form, FIAT is fighting a losing battle.
Old 15th March 2010, 10:39   #27
BANNED

The Panda doesn't look bad at all and in fact may do quite well based on how it is positioned. But It's not for dearth of models that Fiat is not doing well, it is due to their A.S.S and lack of own dealerships.
Old 15th March 2010, 11:29   #28
BHPian

IMO, FIAT should retain the palio in India. Panda certainly looks smaller than Palio. as we all know everybody knows FIAT cars are built to last and they come with the high end technology in them. The biggest concern to put the hard earned money is with respect the the A.S.S and resale value of FIATs. you have to sell the car at a throw away price after owning for couple of year. I have seen people selling the Palio-MJD for 1.5-1.75 lacs lesser than the actual price within a year of buying the car. This would make one question them self or look out of other options while buying FIAT IMHO( am talking only at lower segment buyers. people who have plenty of money might not worry at all on these aspects)

If they retain a model for a good number of years with a good after sales service, am sure every model of FIAT will do very well in India. Not sure why FIAT have not realized this yet!!!
Old 15th March 2010, 11:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Looks more like a wagon-R to me! looks are no where comparable to beautiful Punto/Palio

They have to give 1.2L engine with Chevy beat like pricing.Or they should power it with diesel heart, there would be more takers!

Last edited by recshenoy : 15th March 2010 at 11:31.
Old 15th March 2010, 11:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Fiat Palio vs Fiat Panda
What do you think should FIAT continue using Palio as their entry level car or change to the highly acclaimed Fiat Panda which they use in Europe?
Well Fiat should take some of the tbhp members into its strategy planning .
Once they phase out Palio , then they are losing a vehicle that can well compete with Wagon r / zen estilo ( price ) .Of course the vehicle hasnt been doing well offlate , but that shouldnt make them to decide upon phasing out a model and then just sit mum about it .

Panda can be a replacement if they can manage with the price of the same .

Does anyone know how much does the Panda cost in Europe?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks