Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 12:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
They have nothing to offer other than a hastily put together decades old design
How ignorant you are!
Maruti 800 / Alto / Hyundai Accent / Ikon / Omni / Esteem .. what about all these?

And which one is a hastily put together decades old design from Fiat? Palio is a decade old design (which still has its timeless looks) but is it hastily put together?
Old 15th March 2010, 14:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy
Looks more like a wagon-R to me!
Exactly my thoughts on seeing the latest set of posted snaps. Everyone seems to be going tall-boy design.
Old 15th March 2010, 14:30   #33
BHPian

I wish Fiat got their 'Adventure' back in the market. It was an awesome looking car.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Well,

The Panda is priced well under the Punto in Europe. I one can get the 100hp Panda for the price of a low end Punto. The top of the line standard Panda is less than the bottom end Punto.

The Panda competes in Europe with the made in India SUzuki Alto or A-Star in India. The Panda competes as a pure city car in Europe. When introduced it had won the European Car of the Year award in 2004, the same award that went to the Polo this year.

The only thing to keep the price low, they will have to commit themselves like VW with the Polo, by introducing a very high amount of Indian components. In fact they have to do a better job than VW, as the Polo is still a bit on the higher side.

As for people who are saying it looks like a Wagon R, I see nothing too wrong in that. And the Wagon R seems to be a reasonably successful model.

As for FIAT ***, I think it has become an easy target. My family is a FIAT customer, and we have as yet found no problems at all with FIAT service. And its not like we are hearing a lot of bad things about FIAT *** after all. As of now on paper at least they seem to have a pretty strong *** programme. They offer some of the longest service periods. I think FIAT has still not been able to shake off its old image. But the present grouses are more based on really old experiences.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

@veyron_head

If you liked the adventure, you may like this the Fiat Panda Cross with 4x4, higher ground clearance and a 1.9L MJD engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio vs Fiat Panda-fiatpanda_cross_2006_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg  

Old 15th March 2010, 20:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
@veyron_head

If you liked the adventure, you may like this the Fiat Panda Cross with 4x4, higher ground clearance and a 1.9L MJD engine.
Thanks Julupani. This one sure looks great!

In India its either a hatch or a sedan or a SUV/MUV. The in-betweens and crossovers are only sold elsewhere. How sad :(
Old 16th March 2010, 00:15   #37
BHPian

Im sure the Panda is an option Fiat is looking at after the Palio sales has completely dried up.

But with the Punto already in India, i guess Fiat doesnt want a clash at the market with 2 cars trying to out sell each other or confuse the consumers and is playing safe.

The Panda is no doubt a good car, so good in fact that James May(Of Topgear) has one.

Hope they bring it out in the near future, coz im seriously bored at looking at Marutis and Hyundais on the roads.

Need some Italians, Germans and possibly some more Czech beauties to ride our roads and provide a feast for the eyes.
Old 16th March 2010, 01:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

If the Panda is properly made in India, with 60-70% Indian components, I dont think there will be price clash at all. I dont think it will be a tough job to price the Panda as low as 3.2lakh rupees. The top of the line model can go towards the low end active variants of the Punto. That is pretty acceptable.

Our largest car seller, Maruti Suzuki probably has one of the most complicated product range of any company in any market. The Indian car buyer can surely handle a small little bit of confusion from FIAT's side.

Note from Mod : Old Speculative Thread. Closing.

Last edited by GTO : 16th March 2010 at 15:52. Reason: Adding Mod Closure note
Old 16th March 2010, 14:41   #39
BHPian

Totally agree with you on the Maruti part.

But dont forget that Fiat unlike Maruti, is trying to come back and reestablish themselves after they bombed badly the first few years they were here.

When i was going to pick up a Palio, everyone i referred to, asked me not to do so.
They said Maruti was more reliable(And Fiat was not), although the cars suggested for my budget were seriously underpowered.

The Indian mentality is to go for a MS whatever be the range large, small, medium, confusing, good or bad and price.

So im sure Fiat under the surrogate marketing of Tata is playing safe until they get a chunk of the market share and unleash their range of fine cars.

Fingers crossed and i wish they do, coz i would like to see Fiat conquering the Indian market and setting benchmarks for future cars to be made here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks