Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 08:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

In the grand scheme of things, globally, Mitsubishi is a 2nd tier player. This naturally implies a niche focus required in India in order to succeed with lower volumes (a la Subaru). And HM is one seriously unnecessary crutch in such a situation!
Wishing Mitsubishi all the best if HM does shut shop (which I think it should have years ago), but that leaves me wondering - HM still fills a niche, if it goes, who (or what) will move in?
Old 27th March 2010, 09:13   #47
mxx
BHPian

good news... only question is why did it take so long to take this decision? I think this is the smartest decision HM took in a decade.

BTW, it is good or bad for mitsu, only time will tell. If they had any serious plans in India they would have ended the partnership long back.

Last edited by mxx : 27th March 2010 at 09:14.
Old 27th March 2010, 10:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Guess we should stick to HM bashing instead of commie bashing - my 2 cents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I think you will agree that the communist's have literally thrown industrialists/companies out from West Bengal by their strong arm tactics. Hired goons run the show, and that truly is not communism. HM is a part of the same system, feeding of captive markets with zero R&D and total lack of innovation, I will be glad when they draw the shutters. It'll be bad for West Bengal, but I firmly believe that mediocrity should be purged. And I do blamed the commies for that.

Well, I do have something to say here, and to be true I do not know the reason myself fully. Why do the kolkata cab drivers still swear by the amby? No one forces them to buy one, and they can get a indigo CS much quicker instead having to wait for a new amby.

You did say "mostly", but just wanted to drive home the point that the Manza has a fantastic rear bench, one that is comparable (and in my opinion better) than the Amby's.

Hence the 'mostly' - some of the TATA cars have a great rear seat.

I'd leave Nickatnite to answer that, but if he thinks likes me then I do consider the Amby to be symbolic of the license Raj, one our current Prime Minister got rid of. Outdated products, backed by the government's closed door policies.

No one is forcing anyone to buy the amby now. 20 years back it was a different story.
Old 27th March 2010, 10:58   #49
BHPian

Its about time. If you can't be innovative you won't stand half a chance in a developing economy like India. Btw consumers are more aware of what quality means ever since maruti launched 25 years ago and it has only got better. When you had all this time at your hand and still do nothing you have a place in history books
Old 27th March 2010, 12:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
To that I would ask only one question, do you want to work & earn money or spend the rest of the life holding flag? This is nothing new because, a similar incident had happened when Caterpillar successfully took over one of Birla's plant in Hosur.
Well dont remember seeing Hosur in West Bengal, nor is Tamil Nadu a communist ruled state.
Old 27th March 2010, 14:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Closure of Amby product line was long overdue, as there were no actual upgrades to meet the safety norms & procuring new BS4 engine to fit in the engine bay or updating the existing ones would have been costly affair. The sales figures have not been encouraging either.

I wonder why did they discontinue the Conti... it was easy to upgrade to the new safety norms (due to more modern design in light of Amby).

However, all of us who have travelled in Amby know how comfortable these cars were in Indian driving conditions.

End of a legend...
Old 27th March 2010, 23:37   #52
BHPian

had they only tried to better the engine from 37bhp to atleast 60 to 70 bhp it would have done wonders along with that better dealership
Old 27th March 2010, 23:38   #53
BHPian

i mean the in the amby
Old 28th March 2010, 00:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

I am a bit curious - what wrongdoing can a car possibly be the icon of?
"Wrongdoings" would be more appropriate. If i have to make a list , then i would be at it forever. The Amby is but a symptom of a larger national malaise. It is an icon, but an icon for all the wrong reasons, IMO.
Old 28th March 2010, 01:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
"Wrongdoings" would be more appropriate. If i have to make a list , then i would be at it forever. The Amby is but a symptom of a larger national malaise. It is an icon, but an icon for all the wrong reasons, IMO.
I don't quite agree here.

Just because it hasn't evolved over the years,it doesn't deem fit to label it as a 'wrongdoer' and point a finger at its iconic status.Britain does fine with its ubiquitous London Hackney cabs and hand-built Morgans,so what wrong has the Amby done,except looking like a grandpa in a classroom? It indeed has been the face of Indian motoring since long,ignoring its British roots.An icon in the true sense.Like it or not.

The new Avigo is powerfully retro,and still looks handsome.Not to mention that snug sofa at the rear.Plonk in the fine 1.8l ISZ petrol,and I'll merrily have one.Thank you.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

Edit: New BS IV cars have started trickling in from Mitsubishi. Ambassador was supposed to be BS IV tested. DOn't have update on this. Anyone?
Old 1st October 2010, 09:42   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Came acoss this news in TOI today. Contary to what is being discussed in this thread till now it seems HM coming out with 6+ models in next 1.5 years. They also saying of four new variants of Ambassador.

After 26 yrs, HM may drive in new car - The Times of India
Old 1st October 2010, 11:16   #58
Team-BHP Support

Most people believe in re-birth, these guys believe in immortality
Old 1st October 2010, 11:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

I think HM is not in Intensive Care but Critical Care! How long can a dinosaur survive, with mammals all over trying to eat it up? The best I can see is being taken over by some firm. The only thing they will get is land and sheds, along with the handicap of an unruly and excessive workforce (possibly ageing as well) in a communist ruled state.
Old 1st October 2010, 12:13   #60
BHPian

>>>

I think the fundamental issue is a lack of an exit policy and an associated governance framework to ensure that there is an orderly, smooth drive into the sunset for a sunset factory with sunset manufacturing techniques. One can easily attribute the lack of one to the 'great Indian ability of not attacking the problem head on and proposing a simple solution'.

The HM management should focus only on quality manufacturing of sub-assemblies/kits such as braking systems, suspension systems and take a leadership position there, rather than continue with manufacturing products that don't sell.

One has to move with the times. Tata Motors ( the erstwhile TELCO) started life as a locomotive and commercial vehicle manufacturer/assembler. Look where it is now.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks