Team-BHP - First Pics-2010 BS 4 alto
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   First Pics-2010 BS 4 alto (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/79422-first-pics-2010-bs-4-alto-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 1839651)
That was but expected! But holding on to even 50% market share is a big achievement. If you are referring to March sales figures, I would wait a couple of months before deciding. I suspect it to be mere supply side constraints.

Marutis is 43% now. That is 50% down from what it is a decade back. It's for sure it's on the down trend. Once diesel Nano is launched and Nano production is in full swing Maruti's share will be in 30's. Need any more proof people are waking up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottocycle (Post 1835231)
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have always seen body colored bumpers in Alto Lxi.

Only the limited editions had coloured bumpers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by haithereitsme (Post 1837335)
Am surprised they havent moved the number plate to the tail gate. Which is also part of their new design concept.

The SS80 had the number plate below the bumper. The new 800 had it on the tailgate. The next upgrade had it on the bumper. The Zen & Wagon R started with the number plate on the bumper. The upgrades had it on the tailgate. The new Swift will probably have it on the tailgate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbender (Post 1840448)
Marutis is 43% now. That is 50% down from what it is a decade back. It's for sure it's on the down trend. Once diesel Nano is launched and Nano production is in full swing Maruti's share will be in 30's. Need any more proof people are waking up?

In the mid to late nineties when GM,Ford,Fiat,Hyundai and Daewoo opened shop here, we all expected Maruti to concede market share very rapidly and come down to ~ 30% in about five years. This was the time the Indica was launched as well. But after about fifteen years, they are still pretty much near the 50% mark, which I think is quite an achievement.

Even the then chairman of MSIL opined along these lines at that time. If I remember right he said their target will be to retain 25% market share ultimately. But in absolute numbers, it will be much bigger than the period when they held a lion's share of the market.

A lot of established players presumed they only need to set up shop and take things easy, and people will make a beeline to their show rooms! Well, that has not happened and MSIL has given them a run for their money. They may be chaff in other markets, but are heavy weights in India. Give credit where it is due! And pray spare me the line of "consumers in India are nit-wits" etc! A lot of people here will buy a German/Italian/Japanese brand in a jiffy, but have very little trust on US brands. They (rightly or wrongly) presume US cars have obsolescence built in to them and will have to be replaced every five years!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 1840771)
In the mid to late nineties when GM,Ford,Fiat,Hyundai and Daewoo opened shop here, we all expected Maruti to concede market share very rapidly and come down to ~ 30% in about five years. This was the time the Indica was launched as well. But after about fifteen years, they are still pretty much near the 50% mark, which I think is quite an achievement.

Even the then chairman of MSIL opined along these lines at that time. If I remember right he said their target will be to retain 25% market share ultimately. But in absolute numbers, it will be much bigger than the period when they held a lion's share of the market.

A lot of established players presumed they only need to set up shop and take things easy, and people will make a beeline to their show rooms! Well, that has not happened and MSIL has given them a run for their money. They may be chaff in other markets, but are heavy weights in India. Give credit where it is due! And pray spare me the line of "consumers in India are nit-wits" etc! A lot of people here will buy a German/Italian/Japanese brand in a jiffy, but have very little trust on US brands. They (rightly or wrongly) presume US cars have obsolescence built in to them and will have to be replaced every five years!

Completely agree to what Gansan says above.

In terms of percentage the share has gone down. But in realistic numbers comparison, they have actually gone higher. It is pretty obvious with more players in the market and the market expanding, the percentage will definitely come down. But it will be alarming when the actual numbers start reducing than the percentage share.

Quote:

Marutis is 43% now. That is 50% down from what it is a decade back. It's for sure it's on the down trend.

I don't think anyone in their right sense of mind would have expected Maruti to hold on to 80% market share for such a long time. 43% market share itself speaks volumes for the company. That's something most manufacturers in India today can only dream of.

Quote:

Once diesel Nano is launched and Nano production is in full swing Maruti's share will be in 30's. Need any more proof people are waking up?

While its kudos to Tata for launching the Nano, let's not count the chickens before they hatch. The petrol Nano itself has got its fair share of niggles. I don't think Maruti will be sitting around idle from now on. The heat is on them now, and they have started to act.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 1840771)

Well said, Gansan. There appears to be a common grievance with Maruti and many cannot digest the fact that Maruti still commands over 40 percent of the market share, even though there are over a dozen manufacturers churning out scores of four-wheelers in the country.

By the way, from a selfish point of view, I'm glad the "new" Alto features minimal aesthetic changes. As an owner of a Alto LXI (2008), I glad that my car will not been considered "outdated". Moreover, many parts will still be similar between the Alto BSIII and Alto BSIV and therefore readily available in the market at the cheapest possible rates, unlike what happened to the Zen and the Zen Estillo.

Any change in technical specification?

When is the delivery of New Alto starting. Went to the showroom yesterday to have a look at it and found only BS3 versions standing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsag12 (Post 1843495)
found only BS3 versions standing.

IMPO It is a matter of stock clearance. Once all the BS-III alto will be sold (disposed) in BS-III cities, BS-IV models will be available there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Alok) (Post 1843498)
IMPO It is a matter of stock clearance. Once all the BS-III alto will be sold (disposed) in BS-III cities, BS-IV models will be available there.

Is there any discount being offered on BS-III Alto models?

It is quite clear that Maruti have gone on a cost cutting drive on the Alto to offset the development costs of making the car BS 4 compliant, thereby making it look and feel cheaper.

What ever you guys say, despite its cheap plastics, tight interiors, small wheels, small powerless engine, this is the car that has successfully replaced the grand old maruti 800, this is the new peoples car. Maruti sells around 20,000. yes Twenty thousand Altos every month, so it means that INDIA is buying this car in hordes, for it has best fuel economy, its cheap to maintain and is easy to drive in the crowded city roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottocycle (Post 1843635)
Is there any discount being offered on BS-III Alto models?

No discount in my state (no city is named for BS-IV in my state).
Though the alto’s motor is same as before, there are many peoples, who are unaware about the seriousness of modification goes under the hood of various models and ready to buy old BS-III models. And MSIL (other manufacturers also) knows this truth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gill22g (Post 1843703)
What ever you guys say, despite its cheap plastics, tight interiors, small wheels, small powerless engine, this is the car that has successfully replaced the grand old maruti 800, this is the new peoples car. Maruti sells around 20,000. yes Twenty thousand Altos every month, so it means that INDIA is buying this car in hordes, for it has best fuel economy, its cheap to maintain and is easy to drive in the crowded city roads.

agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Alok) (Post 1843802)
No discount in my state (no city is named for BS-IV in my state).
Though the alto’s motor is same as before, there are many peoples, who are unaware about the seriousness of modification goes under the hood of various models and ready to buy old BS-III models. And MSIL (other manufacturers also) knows this trut

I would have loved to hear about some discounts as BSIII is now old. These companies are making huge amount even from non-compatible models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottocycle (Post 1843866)
I would have loved ....... from non-compatible models.

Me too.

As the motor is same, any idea about the minor changes made to meet BS-IV norms? like modification in Fuel pump, Cat-con, ECU, intake manifold, piston etc.