Team-BHP - Nhc A Toothless Tiger?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Nhc A Toothless Tiger? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/8313-nhc-toothless-tiger.html)

Hai BHPns,

Yesterday some of us were arguing about the "NHC CON JOB" Honda has pulled off beautifully. Look at it, its a beauty inside and outside ......... under the hood they have thrown a toothless tiger, a 80 BHP Lilliput which gasps when u floor the pedal. Its good for a show, a glide, hardly the machince to show the horses. I know die-hard NHC owners would attack this..... Honda has realized this now & the Vtec is out with more teeth?

While they make Accord and near perfect machines whey did they pull a stunt like this?

What say you ppl?

-- AMR

------------------------

Once again a case of only looking at the spec sheet and missing the bigger picture. Is the Octavia TDi with only 90bhp a con job? It's not how much it has, it's how its delivered to the road that matters in the real world.

The City was never meant to be a "performance" car. Its primary purpose is a city slugger (hence the name!). It needs decent torque, good FE, easy maneuverability and nice interiors. The NHC more than meets these requirements.

Everyone has a different set of parameters when it comes to selecting a car. Just because a certain vehicle does not suit those parameters does not make it a bad car.

And remember, they launched the NHC at a price that undercut the OHC. Now how is that a con job?

toothless tiger.....maybe,but check the space,comfort,interiors,NVH levels,FE,you will agree it is a generation ahead.The sales figure tell everything.

Whats the FE for an NHC?? Why is every one so gung ho over the NHC FE?

IMO Space, comfort, are more or less same in all mid - size sedans. The interiors may vary, but at what cost??

Other than snob value, i dont see any other reason why NHC sells more than a Baleno/Petra

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rishi
Whats the FE for an NHC?? Why is every one so gung ho over the NHC FE?

IMO Space, comfort, are more or less same in all mid - size sedans. The interiors may vary, but at what cost??

Other than snob value, i dont see any other reason why NHC sells more than a Baleno/Petra

I second that.
The difference in look and feel, image, comfort levels etc are not worlds apart. Practically thinking one can do without it and save 1.5 L ..
But as Rtech mentioned .. each to his own .. perceived image, brand value etc do matter to a lot of people ..

Edit: Regarding FE , OD should be taken to task for creating the hype in the market of the City's figures .. 19.x average (city + highway) was what they tested. Real life reports vary from 11-13 I believe ..
But how many people know that ? Or even if they do, how many people know that the Baleno/Petra is also capable of 11/12 FE figures ?

for the record, it's 77 bhp...

and bang-on, rtech; the NHC serves the purpose it was meant to serve, nothing more, nothing less..

@rishi- the F.E of the NHC varies from12-13 kmpl in city w/a.c to 18-19 kmpl on highway w/a.c... and yes, although these are merely good figures, just look at how it delivers them. is there another sedan that's as heavy, is a petrol ( so we can discount the diesels) and offers the same amount of comfort and F.E ..? i don't think so...

the NHC has it's flaws, but then, so does every other car. on the other side of the same coin, the NHC has many plus points too, but then, so do the other cars...it all depends upon what the individual customer wants...one's favourite may not be to another's liking, and similarly, each car serves a different purpose...although all these cars come in the same segment, they cater to different clientele'...

egjactly,

if we percieve vehicular transport as a mode of operation to go from point A to point B - the whole idea of big/small, fast/economic cars would be non existant.

Rest all is "perception"

sorry to be off topic!

hey !
Well no one ever said that all good things come in small packages. For 77 bhp its a nice deal when one looks at the overall package. The car delivers what it was designed to. ONe has to look at the over all package...the interiors, the quality of Honda, the service that they offer...and all that jazz...
Regards
:)

Quote:

and yes, although these are merely good figures, just look at how it delivers them. is there another sedan that's as heavy, is a petrol ( so we can discount the diesels) and offers the same amount of comfort and F.E ..? i don't think so...
yes, Veyron it does this FE but at what cost...performance?

I drove a NHC in the highways on the night this weekend.. trust me it really is slow when it counts. There is no overtaking with AC and even without AC when you floor the throttle(for that instantaneous power surge in most petrol cars) it seems out of breath..
So if you are the racy type and want to overtake that truck/trailer in a jiffy with a load of vehicles coming from the other side in a NHC.. think again!

I drive the Baleno and swift mostly these days. I am not comparing the NHC with the Baleno ofcourse, but i can bet my bottom dollar that even the swift feels quicker w.r.t NHC.

Quote:

F.E of the NHC varies from12-13 kmpl in city w/a.c to 18-19 kmpl on highway w/a.c
IMO NHC is a city car..but it's sad to see when you spend more than 7L OTR and sacrifice performance for an extra 1-2 kmpl of FE..( yes..the swift and the Baleno can manage upto 17 on the highway!Talking of C Segmant i'm sure A Petra can achieve near similar figures also.)

I still feel they are charging a heavy premium for the Honda badge and people are blindly going for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzkikr
the service that they offer...and all that jazz...

Some Honda owners in this very forum are pretty unhappy with Honda service.

Then there was the warranty cancellation thing. City owners have probably paid a lot more than what they have saved in FE.
This months Autocar mentions that MUL subsidised parts to the tune of 4 crores for Mumbai flood affected customers.

The point is not whether MUL is better than Honda is better than Hyundai is better than .... All of them have their pros and cons ..

The point is Honda service is probably not as fantastic as is perceived, and should not be considered as an USP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sivadas
I still feel they are charging a heavy premium for the Honda badge and people are blindly going for it.

That's the point I wanted to highlight...... NHC is a wonderful car...... only if......... only if they had souped up the engine and reduced the price tag a tad down in the sub 7 lakh range.....
I know that's wishful thinking........ As a consumer I have a right to my opinion. My opinion is still "NHC is a toothless tiger and a gret con job" ... the Indian public is lapping it up at 3000+ cars a month, so ppl wake up .

Value for money..... Baleno takes the crown.

I am not a Honda hater, nor do I own a Baleno.....

-- AMR
-------------------

Quote:

Value for money..... Baleno takes the crown.
So a decade old design with cheap plastics inside and an inflated butt, running on tyres so tiny they are a safety hazard. And you call that value for money? It would be if it were being sold at the price of an Esteem.

The greatest con jobs are being pulled of by maruti right now. The only up-to-date model is the swift. Everything else in their line up is well past its sellby date. But, since they are cheap, it must be good value right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
So a decade old design with cheap plastics inside and an inflated butt, running on tyres so tiny they are a safety hazard. And you call that value for money? It would be if it were being sold at the price of an Esteem.

Agreed it's a decade old design ..

But then in the last 10 years, how much more has the 'new' B & C segment cars offered in terms of technology that translates into tangible value for customers ? Not much I guess, otherwise Maruti's would not have been selling at all ...

A decade old car abroad might be at a sizeable technology disadvantage, but in India's perspective things take longer to decay and hence still make sense ...

Btw, why is everyone so after the Baleno butt :) ? I mean other cars too have bits that people don't like ... And the VXi now has 185/65 R14 tubeless stock !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
So a .....................................

The greatest con jobs are being pulled of by maruti right now. The only up-to-date model is the swift. Everything else in their line up is well past its sellby date. But, since they are cheap, it must be good value right?

Boy..O....... did I step on your nerve ?

While you're at it... please look up the Auto reviews on Baleno; mine or your opinion individually doesn't count. It's what the experts say that's read. "Value for money" would be better than Cheap?

Let me repeat it, Honda is not my ansestoral enemy and maruthi deserves to be applauded for putting the nation on wheels. I fully appreciate that you have to defend yr decision love NHC...... let's make war peacefully?

AMR

------------------