Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 17:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW 316D / 320D Efficient Dynamics Editions coming to India?

Just looking at BMW India website and found out specs about 316D/320D efficient dynamics edition.

Hope its just an error or is it that such variants have been launched?

BMW 316D / 320D Efficient Dynamics Editions coming to India?-untitled1.jpg

BMW 316D / 320D Efficient Dynamics Editions coming to India?-untitled2.jpg

Note : These posts have been split into its own thread from their original place in This thread

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th June 2010 at 11:24. Reason: Link to original thread.
Old 18th June 2010, 17:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

There was a thread somewhere about a 186bhp 320d being introduced by BMW India. Could it be this "Efficient Dynamics" edition? Further, if there's actually a 316d, then I think BMW is going all out for a bloodbath. Must be around 24-25L OTR, since 320d is 28L (Mumbai prices).

NOT FAIR......... I want efficient dynamics too !!

EDIT : This looks like a detuned version of the same engine eg. 525d v/s 530d. A 0-100 in 10.9 and a top speed of "only" 202 might sound a little pedestrian, but think of what this could mean to the taxi fleet buyers in terms of FE and running costs. I guess since the CE's no longer the fleet model and has been countered with the Merc C220 EE, BMW has dug deeper to get this one out. Now what?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th June 2010 at 17:56.
Old 18th June 2010, 17:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post

NOT FAIR......... I want efficient dynamics too !!
Common issue with BMW owners, you are infected by the upgrade BUG in no time! BMW gives you JOY when you buy the product but soon after they keep uping the JOY factor.
What you feel right now is exactly what I felt when the 530d was launched at a mere 70k more than my 525d, that too within in year !

BMW is a very active player and they keep upgrading almost every quater, however minor or major it might be. Its good for new customers, but a pain for existing ones
Old 18th June 2010, 18:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Just looking at BMW India website and found out specs about 316D/320D efficient dynamics edition.

Hope its just an error or is it that such variants have been launched?
Another huge error. FE numbers are in L/100km but written as kpl.

The whole idea of showing off the Efficient Dynamics technology on your website is lost when you show 4 kpl !
Old 18th June 2010, 18:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
What you feel right now is exactly what I felt when the 530d was launched at a mere 70k more than my 525d, that too within in year !
Naah, I'm cool with it. Made my peace with it already.

But WHOA. The difference was only 70k ? Now THAT I would not have liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
FE numbers are in L/100km but written as kpl.

The whole idea of showing off the Efficient Dynamics technology on your website is lost when you show 4 kpl !
Yeah that's hilarious. I'm guessing in real world (Mumbai) conditions it's going to give nowhere close to 20 kmpl (4 lt / 100 km) but considering that my car is capable of returning a very real 9.5-10 kmpl in the city, I'm sure the 316d is going to better it. Or maybe the car is too heavy for a detuned motor to handle. Or wait, wasn't the pre-LCI 320d (non-Highline) also tuned at 156bhp?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th June 2010 at 18:17.
Old 18th June 2010, 19:28   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Another huge error. FE numbers are in L/100km but written as kpl.
Good catch
The cars can switch between kmpl and L/100km pretty well - too bad the website can't.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th June 2010 at 11:21. Reason: Splitting post between two threads.
Old 18th June 2010, 19:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Coming to the 316d/320d ED and upgrade on the 2.0D engine can someone confirm this? Also if it's true whats the cost of 316d? Anything below 20L Ex-showroom would kill cars like Jetta etc.

Regards,

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th June 2010 at 11:21. Reason: Splitting post between two threads.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Anything below 20L Ex-showroom would kill cars like Jetta etc.
How? If anything, if would more realistically further affect the Superb / Passat / Accord. The range-topping Jetta / Laura just barely manage to cross 20L on-road !!
Old 18th June 2010, 20:17   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How? If anything, if would more realistically further affect the Superb / Passat / Accord. The range-topping Jetta / Laura just barely manage to cross 20L on-road !!
He may be right.

People in the market for a Superb/Passat/Accord/Jetta might be ready to shell out a little extra for the BMW badge and the added snob value that comes with it. It would be a good move to enter the lower D-segment arena IMO.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I believe If I were in a market for Superb / Passat / Accord, I'm looking at leg space, comfort etc. which the 3 does not provide and considering the Jetta pretty much gets close to 20L on the road, I think that is the segment where people might consider going higher by a few lacs in terms of brand value.

This is my opinion. I mean if i am in the market for Superb or Accord, I would not look at 3/C/A4 etc.

Also I've said it before if by pulling a few strings here and there if BMW / MB can launch models at something like 19.99L Ex-Showroom it will create a whole new segment of buyers rushing to the dealers.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Maybe. But then BMW is also dribbling dangerously close to devaluing the brand. As it is, Mercedes still has a bit of an edge over Bee Em when it comes to brand recall in India. Anyway, always good for the customer Hope to see a lot of 316d's on the forum !!
Old 18th June 2010, 20:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

I truly don't think brand values will go down considering considering the image people have of these brands has always been high. BMW and Mercedes-Benz I think go hand in hand, for some BMW is the new thing / Sporty / Youthful and for some Mercedes-Benz is the status symbol / Luxury etc. so both have their own shares of different clients with various reasons based on their personal perception for both.

But coming back on topic are those new variants really launched? the 316d and 320d ED? Any idea on prices? I still don't see the point of having so many diesel variants?
Old 18th June 2010, 22:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe. But then BMW is also dribbling dangerously close to devaluing the brand. As it is, Mercedes still has a bit of an edge over Bee Em when it comes to brand recall in India. Anyway, always good for the customer Hope to see a lot of 316d's on the forum !!

I beg to differ. The BMW "brand" has grown phenomenally over the past year or more. The only downside being the runflats....

Actually I have been contemplating buying a 320d CE & run it on tubeless tyres with a stepney. How often do I have luggage in my boot - next to never. when I do - I use the Pajero. This is a dream for me - to own all the 3 BIG German Marquees Dreams- if wishes were horses - beggers would ride !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
I truly don't think brand values will go down considering considering the image people have of these brands has always been high. BMW and Mercedes-Benz I think go hand in hand, for some BMW is the new thing / Sporty / Youthful and for some Mercedes-Benz is the status symbol / Luxury etc. so both have their own shares of different clients with various reasons based on their personal perception for both.

But coming back on topic are those new variants really launched? the 316d and 320d ED? Any idea on prices? I still don't see the point of having so many diesel variants?
Why leave out Audi from the comparison ? They have been increasing their share over the past year & rightly so. :

Cheeers

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th June 2010 at 22:57. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 18th June 2010, 23:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

I agree AUDI has been rising, but I think it's more of a rising star and not a brand which was always known or aspired to in India or by the majority of Indians, I also believe they gained a lot of ground only with Q7 and A4 with the LED's? (Correct me if I am wrong)

I know 2 people who choose the A4 over the 3/C and when I asked why? The answer given was "LED" Not saying their other cars are not nice but I seriously think BMW and Mercedes-Benz offer superior products with far better dealers to deal with.

Believe me you need to walk into 'Parsoli Motors, Ahmedabad' they are the dealers for BMW and the experience you get from them is second to none. The owner, The GM are all people who not only will make you feel at home but ensure you are satisfied before you give them the check. First time in my life I experienced when I was willing to give an advance check to them, I was refused saying why don't you let all the variants come in and then choose from the one you find better for your requirements?
Old 18th June 2010, 23:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

No less than six of my friends asked me why we didn't pick the Audi. It is surely gaining acceptance and mileage as a luxury brand, and heck, most people do love the looks of the LED'd A4 more than the C/3.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th June 2010 at 11:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks