Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2005, 17:28   #1
BHPian

Help with Temporary Registration

Hi All,

Two queries-would appreciate any suggestions on it

1. I have to pick up my new car from the dealer and he is encouraging me to go for a temporary registration to pick up the car right away. He tells me none of my legal rights etc. will be affected and I can start driving right away.

The other option is to wait for a week for him to get a permanent registration done.

I am apprehensive taking the legal advice of a none too educated dealer. Any suggestions?

2. I am in Delhi btw and the dealer in Gurgaon-the car would be bought in my company's name (the company is registered in Gurgaon) and then passed on to me as a perk. I am also hoping that I will be able to drive the car in Delhi with a Haryana registration. I know usually it is not allowed-but if my employer legally owns it and hands it over to me-does the situation change?

Thanks

Last edited by zabcd : 3rd November 2005 at 17:38.
Old 3rd November 2005, 17:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Man sure take the car with temp number. No one gonna say u anythign before 1 month or 1000 KM. So go ahead take the delivery of the car and enjoy the ride.
Old 3rd November 2005, 17:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

All you have to do is just ensure that the name and address of the owner are correct in all the docs. These include the temp. regn and insurance.

Butttt you have to visit the RTO for pushing the papers and registration within the next 30 days.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 3rd November 2005 at 17:37.
Old 3rd November 2005, 17:46   #4
BHPian

Some of the inputs I have got:

1. Temp reg is only for inter-state transit.

2. There used to be such a provision in Delhi/NCR but no longer-now cars can be run only with permanent registration

3. Pick up the car ASAP even with tmp reg since the dealer can't be relied upon not to fiddle around with the car.

Confused....
Old 3rd November 2005, 17:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

1. Temp reg is only for inter-state transit.
>> not true.

2. There used to be such a provision in Delhi/NCR but no longer-now cars can be run only with permanent registration
>>I dont know about NCR; I live in Kerala. I took delivery of my car from the dealer (in Trivandrum) with a temp regn. Got it registered in my home town 12 days later. The Trivandrum registrations start with KL-01; mine is KL-16 (tvm rural).

In Trivandrum (that is, if you are living in Tvm) you wont get a temp regn. Since i am not a resident in Tvm, and there is no dealer in my home town I will get only the Temp regn. So, if you have a dealer and an RTO in your hometown, you will get only permananent regn.

3. Pick up the car ASAP even with tmp reg since the dealer can't be relied upon not to fiddle around with the car.
>> It is upto you to decide. All dealers are not the same.
Old 3rd November 2005, 18:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

i think you have to make the reg permanent within 7 working days. (in kerala). and if u wanna wait for some fancy no or sort and you cant haev to wait after your 7 day time, you have to pay 500rs .
Old 3rd November 2005, 18:43   #7
BHPian

Actually it depends on the state.
In hyderabad,
1. All new cars go with a temporary registration for sure. Its a yellow background with red fonts.
2. For normal cars its a sticker but for costlier cars its a proper plate. It has the words T/R in it. and its registered at the RTA of the dealers area and not the customer area.
3. Its usually obtained by paying lifetime roadtax/vehicle tax (online through esevaonline.com which is an online system for every govt task in AP).
4. Once thats given, you can drive the vehicle but for a max period of 1 month.
5. This T/R is given so that people have the time to realize their loans etc and a final invoice is delivered to the customer.
6. Then we need to call up the dealer to tell him that time is coming close ... (maybe on 28th day or any day after all the funds have been realized and a final invoice given by the dealer) and they will arrange for the RTO (RTA) visit wherein there will be a vehicle inspection and you need to give your address proof and T/R challan and of course Form 20 (given by the bank in case its a loan purchase) with the details filled in and the chasis number sketch taken on it. Inspection is a 2 min job, where the inspector just sees if the numbers in the doc match with the vehcles spec.
7. Thats it ... within 2 days we get the card (RC card) with all the details and the "real" number, this time from the RTO(RTA) of the customer's area.
8. Then the number plates are prepared by the dealer and delivered to the customer, who can put it onto their cars/bikes/ any vehicle after removing the temp registration.

This is the process in hyderabad ... So T/R is very much legal atleast in hyderabad, here you will find lots of new vehicles with that (actually all ... with T/R you know that its mostly a new car). Once i saw a NHC(New Honda City) which was almost crushed and lying on the side of a road it was almost flat from the front only the rear was fine. and it was a T/R ... man this means it was a new car ....
gchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2005, 20:51   #8
BHPian

Slightly off Topic.
I have a Euro II Registered Vehicle from Hyd...
In case I relocate due to my job from Hyd to Delhi...Will I get the Registration from Delhi for my Euro II Car ?...because I heard all new cars being sold in Metros now are Euro III...
Old 3rd November 2005, 22:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

the process explained by gchandra abt the hyd t/r thing is almost correct.

we can run on the t/r without any fine for 1 month,but once after that we neeed to pay a certain amount (either at the time of permenant reg or monthly) if we wanna continue on the t/r for any reason,

ie:like i am waiting for an single no 6, since the new series to start will take abt 2 months more and then after the the auction process,
i would be running my car on t/r for abt close to three months.therby paying penalty for the extra two months.
some people run thier cars on t/r for abt an year!
Old 4th November 2005, 00:21   #10
BHPian

Thanks so much for the replies guys...

Anyone in Delhi or Gurgaon in a position to advise or help? I have till 9:00 AM when I need to tell the dealer....hence the urgency...
Old 11th November 2005, 22:50   #11
BHPian

Not sure if this will help anyone-but for whatever it is worth, so anyone looking for this information in future isn't left stranded.

1. It is okay to go for temporary registration in NCR-a Haryana temp registration can work in Delhi too (or for that matter anywhere else in India)
2. Cops let you be even if the car is registered in Haryana but you drive in Delhi. Obviously there is a risk if your residence is not in Delhi itself.

BTW-I got my new car-an Accent GLS, already having teething problems, but that's an entirely different story.
Old 12th November 2005, 12:16   #12
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1
Slightly off Topic.
I have a Euro II Registered Vehicle from Hyd...
In case I relocate due to my job from Hyd to Delhi...Will I get the Registration from Delhi for my Euro II Car ?...because I heard all new cars being sold in Metros now are Euro III...
Yes. you can re-register your car in Delhi. Euro-3 rule is only for brand NEW cars.
Old 12th November 2005, 23:02   #13
BHPian

You can travel anywhere in India, as long as it is a private car and not a commercial vehicle, where you will also need a temporary permit. Make sure you have appropriate Insurance cover & not just transit Insurance.
Old 12th November 2005, 23:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
i think you have to make the reg permanent within 7 working days. (in kerala). and if u wanna wait for some fancy no or sort and you cant haev to wait after your 7 day time, you have to pay 500rs .
I took delivery of my car on Jan13 and got it registerd only on 22Feb.
Old 12th November 2005, 23:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
LIke Sandeep mentioned, you wont get a Temp regn if there is an RTO in your hometown (address at which vehicle is registered).

The RTO wont issue you a temp permit even if you have booked a fancy number and are waiting for the number to come up in series. What the dealer does in such cases is to get you a Temp registration with any outstation address that you may be able to provide proof for. Based on this they will get you a temp registration, but this is dicey because your Insurance cover note will be on a different address - so if you're caught with this "arranged" temp license your vehicle goes to the Police Station.

You are usually NOT allowed to cross the boundaries of a state with the Temp registration. This is because of the "Temp" nature of the registration - quite simply if you commit a traffic infringement the cops of the other state wont be able to challan you or follow up in your resident state because you dont have a permanant number that your vehicle can be identified with.

Therefore try not to cross state borders with a Temp registration. You can also get yourself in a fix in case you get into a scrape on the road (god forbid).

That said, I have no idea about this NCR concept and what it means in legal terms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks