Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you still buy a Diesel car?
Yes 528 45.17%
No 552 47.22%
Don't Know 89 7.61%
Voters: 1169. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 09:43   #136
Senior - BHPian

I was a petrol head once, then i got stung by the raw torque of CRDis and now i'm a diesel head for life.
Still, i would like to have a high revving petrol for the weekends.
For daily ripping and mile munching, it has to be a diesel irrespective of price difference.
Old 5th July 2010, 09:44   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvir Bains View Post
If the Driver is Tourque Hungry then Diesel is the Choice otherwise Petrol is the way.
I would Prefer either Petrol or Diesel but it should have a TURBO in it.

Once you drive a diesel, you are a convert instantly. You would not go back for petrol ever.

As for petrol turbo, its not a standard offering yet in our country, so lets keep it off for now.
Old 5th July 2010, 10:18   #138
BHPian

I agree on the same bought a Indica 7 years back, after that never looked at petrol cars.
Old 5th July 2010, 11:36   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Once you drive a diesel, you are a convert instantly. You would not go back for petrol ever.
That's quite a statement. I have driven the DZire VDi for at least 400kms on both long drives (mountains) and city. Though I liked the rush of the torque, I found the turbo lag and the noise very irritating. It's supposedly the best diesel engine in India and I still wouldn't be looking at a diesel any time soon.
Old 5th July 2010, 11:53   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
As for petrol turbo, its not a standard offering yet in our country, so lets keep it off for now.
Dosen't the Skoda Octavia VRS figure?
Old 5th July 2010, 12:22   #141
BHPian

Yesterday I went and took TD of 2 cars which came out on top of my shortlist.. I20 Petrol & Punto MJD. First I drove i20 Petrol and i didnt feel anything on the driving pleasure front, but was definitely impressed by its interiors and luxury feel of it.
Next i took Punto MJD for TD and boy i was swept off my feet !! Its an ultimate drivers car and i had to come to an agreement with my wife to compromise little bit on the interiors. Now I have voted in this thread for Petrol, But now i am forced to change my mind.. Diesel all the way for me..
Old 5th July 2010, 13:00   #142
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys since this is a diesel vs Petrol thread do check out the latest Business Standard Motoring where my 1956 Mercedes 180 D (Diesel) takes on a 1959 Mercedes 180 (Petrol) in a classic clash of Diesel Vs Petrols
Old 5th July 2010, 13:00   #143
h.k
BHPian

take a drive in for 200+ kms in a petrol car and same in a diesel car, and then shall you realise what comfort of driving means. no diesel cars can give you the refinement of what a petrol can do. but you pay through your nose while for petrol.
Old 5th July 2010, 13:03   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
That's quite a statement. I have driven the DZire VDi for at least 400kms on both long drives (mountains) and city. Though I liked the rush of the torque, I found the turbo lag and the noise very irritating. It's supposedly the best diesel engine in India and I still wouldn't be looking at a diesel any time soon.
I own a Dzire VDi and have so far clocked 5.1k. Agreed turbo lag is present, but I opine that its not a hindrance. Every car has a turbo lag, its only a matter of how big/small is the lag.

I too feel the engine is a tad noisier to my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Dosen't the Skoda Octavia VRS figure?
Apologies, I really didn't know the vRS had a turbo. Except for a few, many still don't offer turbo. So, I think my statement still holds, albeit partially untrue.

* Note, I am not considering high performance luxury cars like BMW/Audi/Merc here. *

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Yesterday I went and took TD of 2 cars which came out on top of my shortlist.. I20 Petrol & Punto MJD. First I drove i20 Petrol and i didnt feel anything on the driving pleasure front, but was definitely impressed by its interiors and luxury feel of it.
Next i took Punto MJD for TD and boy i was swept off my feet !! Its an ultimate drivers car and i had to come to an agreement with my wife to compromise little bit on the interiors. Now I have voted in this thread for Petrol, But now i am forced to change my mind.. Diesel all the way for me..
Old 5th July 2010, 13:13   #145
BHPian

When it comes to SUVs I would definitely stick to diesel no doubt, but for cars I would like to have a turboed petrol without a turbo I cant really say what I would pick
Old 5th July 2010, 16:59   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sachinj12: The Skoda Laura also comes with Direct Injection Turbo petrol engine, the same engine is shared with Superb and Passat.
Old 5th July 2010, 18:53   #147
BHPian

With deisel cars costing aprox +1L and more than pertol siblings, cost of recovery of the difference would take more than 4+yrs.

So, would anytime go for a petrol head
Old 5th July 2010, 20:03   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaizcrzy View Post
With deisel cars costing aprox +1L and more than pertol siblings, cost of recovery of the difference would take more than 4+yrs.

So, would anytime go for a petrol head
The argument of price difference of 1Lakh should not be alone be used for choosing a petrol car.

This argument is simplistic in the sense the car that you paid 1 lakh more will sell for the same price as that of petrol car. This is simply not true.

Let me give you an example.

A 3 year old Swift VXi sells for 3.2+ lakhs. Same 3 year old VDI sells for 4+ lakhs.

You have reclaimed the 1 lakh premium paid when you sell your car. So where is the question of cost of recovery here??

Add to this the low running cost you have enjoyed over the years.

Going for Diesel makes lot of sense.

Shankar
Old 5th July 2010, 20:15   #149
Senior - BHPian

the turbo boost from the diesel VDI gives me a rush that no petrol ever had.
Old 5th July 2010, 21:14   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
A 3 year old Swift VXi sells for 3.2+ lakhs. Same 3 year old VDI sells for 4+ lakhs.
Would that be the case when diesel is priced closer to petrol?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks