Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 10:30   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
This year is going to be a milestone because after a long time a new manufacturer will crack the 100,000units yearly sales in passenger car space.That is going to be GM.It has been a long time(i think 6-7 years since this happened after Maruti,Hyundai and Tata).
Don't forget Mahindra. They have consistently topped out at over 100,000 p.a., thanks primarily to the Bolero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
What can I say, other than I agree. If you take a look at the interior of the Vista (the one they advertise as the Drivetech4)
So agree. As a family hatchback, I'd choose a Vista over the Swift any which day.

Quote:
What I'd really like to see on teambhp is that we should call a spade a spade. I'll be the first to say that the initial Indica was a disaster in quality of fitments and engineering (the gearbox was rubbery, the Tata morning sickness with the belts making a screeching sound etc.), but if you check out the current Tata cars, they are now quite comparable to the other well entrenched manufacturers.
All about reputation. The Indica built Tata's reputation in passenger cars as much for VFM, space, FE and comfort as it did for poor quality & unreliability. Tata only has itself to blame for selling shoddy cars at the start.
Old 8th July 2010, 10:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All about reputation. The Indica built Tata's reputation in passenger cars as much for VFM, space, FE and comfort as it did for poor quality & unreliability. Tata only has itself to blame for selling shoddy cars at the start.
Absolutely correct, they have themselves to blame.

My rant had more to do with our community - one supposedly for the auto-enthusiasts - cannot see beyond initial reputations. Anyway, I've almost beaten this topic to death, better to look forward to the Aria's launch, that might for once, change public perception.
Old 8th July 2010, 15:01   #63
Senior - BHPian

Tata IMO needs a couple of more models to sustain its volume growth in the medium to long term.

- A new small car model between the Nano and the Vista in the medium term. I think there were reports recently that Tata indeed is working on one

- A Prima type sedan to tackle the like of City, SX4, Verna and Vento.
Old 8th July 2010, 17:28   #64
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,
First of all this is great news, Tata is really moving up the scale.
My opinion is that it has done really well so far and the product planning/ mgmt. has been bang on to target the Indian consumer. I am glad that Indica/go models now run 1.3 MJD and Tata's have focussed on the building the car part.
Thanks to the Manza, Tata's have scorched the sales charts off late.
I know that Tata vehicles are not known for build quality, most of them start rattling after 10-12 months and A.S.S of Tata's is not that great either.
Replacing MS as the no.1 spot will be a herculean task for the TaMo guys. Mainly because of the product portfolio Maruti has which caters to all the needs and soon after introducing the Kizashi and facelifted model of Swift, they will surge even more.

My opinion since I work in the industry, comments welcome

Cheers..! Drive safe.
Old 9th July 2010, 08:18   #65
BHPian

TATA for INDIA

After having used 2 generations of Indica and usesd an Indigo as well, i am surprised on hearing people comment that the TATA cars are unreliable.

We have had various cars in our family, but the whole family always prefers to use the Indica or the Indigo for the long runs, if these cars, "as commented by few members are unreliable", then why do so many prefer TATA cars for long distance travels?

I agree that lots of Rattles creeps in these cars but thats there in all cars, if they are not maintained. My V2 didn't rattle for 4yrs and 80k Kms.

Here in Thailand, Vios and Innova's are basically used by Taxi Operators and most of them rattle, that doesn't mean they are not reliable or inferior in build. here the roads are better, so is the driving habits.

My 2 Indica's together have covered more than 1.5lac Kms with out leaving me stranded, and in sher comfort with safety and to top it all, it that done this with excellent Value For Money.

I don't intend to compare TATA with any other company, but i am sure when i return back to India, i will buy A tata most probably a Safari / Aria.

I am sure they have worked hard to reach the no 2 status and wish TATA all the best in the future.
Old 9th July 2010, 09:08   #66
Senior - BHPian

I have lot of Apprehensions before buying Vista QJD(having Indica diesels already with us) .

The Passenger Space(especially Rear seat) and the Diesel Mileage Which IMHO made Us Buy This Car.
And After 6 Months ,Car is doing Fine.No Rattles Especially to Mention.
TATA After Sales Service is Good if Not Excellent with Concorde.cannot Vouch For Other TASS/Dealer-Service Networks.

I feel Common People are Conditioned to Think ,What is to be Expected with a TATA Car ,Especially because of the Bad Reputation Earlier Indica's have.

Last edited by deepclutch : 9th July 2010 at 09:12.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:45   #67
BHPian

I have one of the first generation Indica with 4 gears. It is a 99 December model. I bought it last year March, when i bought it, everyone asked me why are you buying this car, its good for nothing etc., even when i took it to the nearby service center, they told that i should have avoided buying this car. Even when i bought this car, i was never a fan of Indica especially as we perceive them as cabs. When i bought the car the car odo showed 86200. Now the odo reads 99200.

Believe me, it has been 15-16 months since i have bought the car, i have serviced it 3 times, changed tires and did tinkering and painting for my own satisfaction. For service and repairs i have not spent more than 7000 Rs. Only tires and painting were costly. Once the radiator boiled because of the radiator fan not switching on due to faulty sensor, which was rectified at 300 Rs. Mileage is an excellent 16-18kmpl. On highways i get 22 kmpl. I even took it to and fro between Madurai and chennai. I fall in love with the huge space inside the car, i was able to move a lot of luggage, even washing machines and AC in this car, i cant think of any other car in the similar size which could do that.

I believe that Tata has made a good product in the first version and bettered it with V2 and then Vista.

I wish Tata all the best and my next vehicle would surely be a Tata one.

-- Signed a satisfied Tata Customer

I will put up a review of my old car pretty soon.

Last edited by AbdulRahmanM : 9th July 2010 at 10:46.
Old 9th July 2010, 13:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

Tata cars

Aptly said, Tata Indica is a versatile car with fuel efficiency, boot space, legroom, economical maintenance. A diesel car with an onroad price of 3 to 3.5 lakhs should be offered by Tata.
Old 9th July 2010, 18:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant!! Tata's extensive R&D and constant improvements have paid off well. Their concepts surely depict the future of TATA cars and their recent vehicles like Manza/Vista are clearly rubbing shoulders with the Japs and Koreans. Tata cars has traditional strengths like space,economy and are well priced. Every time I travel in an Indica Turbo or drive one I cant help be impressed by the improvements in the last decade. Truly deserves it, Kudos!!
Old 9th July 2010, 18:59   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Aptly said, Tata Indica is a versatile car with fuel efficiency, boot space, legroom, economical maintenance. A diesel car with an onroad price of 3 to 3.5 lakhs should be offered by Tata.
Tata has the answer for you need. The Tata Nano Diesel. Hopefully its not going to be long wait. This car will put to shame the running costs for all four wheelers and even the majority of the two Wheelers .
Old 9th July 2010, 22:20   #71
Senior - BHPian

My only peeve with Tata cars is they do not provide a climate control yet. No version of Manza or Safari has it. And airbags too. Or am I wrong?
Old 10th July 2010, 02:39   #72
BHPian

Well guys, this was largely unnoticed. Tata Motors is in the Fortune 500 list this year for the first time. Totally there are 8 indian companies.

Global 500 2010: Countries - India - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Last edited by airbender : 10th July 2010 at 02:41.
Old 10th July 2010, 10:36   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
My only peeve with Tata cars is they do not provide a climate control yet. No version of Manza or Safari has it. And airbags too. Or am I wrong?
Not sure about the Climate control, but airbag - YES!! check out vista aura+ or manza aura plus model.
Old 10th July 2010, 10:44   #74
Senior - BHPian

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I have lot of Apprehensions before buying Vista QJD

The Passenger Space(especially Rear seat) and the Diesel Mileage Which IMHO made Us Buy This Car.
And After 6 Months ,Car is doing Fine.No Rattles Especially to Mention.

I feel Common People are Conditioned to Think ,What is to be Expected with a TATA Car ,Especially because of the Bad Reputation Earlier Indica's have.
My story is almost same as Deepclutch, but the car is 8 months old and dealership and after sales service are excellent till date!
[OT: The dealership promised us free single tone basic seat covers with the car, but they were not able to give them during first 2 months - because of this, when they gave us the seat covers, they gave a better quality one than promised, in two-tone - I have never heard anywere the dealer upgrading the freebies!]
Old 10th July 2010, 19:57   #75

Unbelievable!! With the kind of A.S.S they have.
My manza qjd spent 30 days in the service centre for lack of spares after a small accident with a bike.
Finally after they told the car is ready, I noticed the new bumper didn't have chrome strips on the grill, and they never noticed it! I got it removed and fitted from the old bumper.
I took the car home and later found the USB port wouldn't work, they had forgotten to mate the usb connector behind the audio HU! It was stuck inside the air-vent.
Also the new headlight (LH) was pointing skywards.
The next day I went to get the issues sorted out, only to end up with more issues.
They burned a hole behind the new head light unit by hanging a bulb behind it (luckily I found this after getting a burning smell).
They mated the connector for steering controls the wrong way after sorting out the USB issue.
I have finally got the headlight replaced, but had to sort out the audio controls problem by myself as the service guys were clueless.
I had problems with steering alignment, but after they tried to correct it, the steering which was towards left side at neutral is now towards right side
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks