Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 10:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I wish not wearing a helmet by two wheeler riders also is treated as a major violation and insurance claims be denied to them. This is the only way to make people wear helmets, no amount of fines will accomplish this.
How many bikers actually have any insurance?

Fines per passenger not wearing a helmet, and, by the way, more than two persons is overloading, which should attract a heavy fine, and carrying small children and babies which should probably merit a prison sentence!
Old 19th July 2010, 10:39   #17
BHPian

Last year I saw a good number of people wear helments (8 out of every 10). But now, I see very few wear the helments (2 out of every 10). I do not understand why people dont wear helments if it is for their own safety. I guess helments should be given away free or a part of standard accessories when bikes are sold by the dealer.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How many bikers actually have any insurance?

Fines per passenger not wearing a helmet, and, by the way, more than two persons is overloading, which should attract a heavy fine, and carrying small children and babies which should probably merit a prison sentence!
Thad, all relatively new bikes/scooters (read < 5years old) will have insurance. If the bike is very old, the owner may choose to have only third party insurance, which is a must if the vehicle is to run on the road anyway.

But when I said insurance, I meant life insurance which almost everyone will have. And denial of settlement of this will definitely hurt, and prove the biggest incentive to wear a helmet.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

i have been also let off once on ECR because i was wearing seatbelt. but still i have no clue why i was stopped in the first place lol . the cop came said ah seatbelt and gestured me to go.

but unless these guys treat everyone same, these rules are just meant to harass people like us. sometime back i was caught on ecr for speeding, i was doing 70 in 40 zone i think. I could see all the govt. buses driven rashly, easily doing more than 60. i ask the cops and they told me they can't do anything. how a bus overspeeding is less dangerous than car.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:59   #20
BHPian

Steps to make this rule NOT apply to you.

1. Buy a White Scorpio
2. Get some fancy number
3. Get the number plate made in gold effect
4. Fly the ruling party's flag on the bonnet
5. Stick a photograph of CM or (even better) Deputy CM on the dash board in such a way that it is visible from the outside.

Thats it, 5 simple steps and now you are above all the rules that apply to us normal useless faceless citizens. . You need not stop at signals, no need to pay for parking, no highway tolls, no rule of traffic applies to you.

Last edited by Archish : 19th July 2010 at 11:01.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I could see all the govt. buses driven rashly, easily doing more than 60. i ask the cops and they told me they can't do anything. how a bus overspeeding is less dangerous than car.
The problem with finiing buses is who's going to pay for it. If its govt. the drivers wouldnt still care. If its from their pay, there s going to be a hue & cry from unions. Its more complex than we imagine. Political will is required here, which is very evident from the helmet statement made some time back.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:58   #22
BHPian

Actually MTC bus drivers are fined.
The traffic cops don't stop these buses for it causes inconvenience
to office goers. Instead they note down the number and pass it on to MTC.
And the fines are deducted from their next month's salary.
This hasn't been a sucessfull strategy because of the amount of fine ,which is just Rs. 50
Old 19th July 2010, 19:41   #23
BANNED

@rajushank84
Thats a welcome departure from what we see regularly. You dont get down and yet the cop comes over to you - usually they think they are mighty kings and we are lowly peasants unless you are in one of "those" hummers :-)

Speaking of which i doubt if that hummer would have been stopped ! Most chennai folks know who uses it.
Old 19th July 2010, 20:19   #24
BHPian

The higher premium is a welcome option, but I am worried about the private insurance companies using this as a weapon against unsuspecting customers. There should be a standard reduction of NCB based on the type of violation, like Over speeding 5%, Signal jumping 5% stc.

The insurance companies should be imposing heavy peanlities for public carriers which are not fit to ply on the road (read FC issues), rash driving, overloaded etc. Due to the large number of construction activities I can see the large dumper trucks loaded to the brim. They are a menace to the common public at the same time they are damaging the roads that are recently laid. No police man stops these vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Last year I saw a good number of people wear helments (8 out of every 10). But now, I see very few wear the helments (2 out of every 10). I do not understand why people dont wear helments if it is for their own safety. I guess helments should be given away free or a part of standard accessories when bikes are sold by the dealer.
MutantX, On the contrary I am amazed with the number of bikers using helmets in Mount road. A couple of days ago when I was waiting for the signal near specers, I observed that out of the 50 odd people waiting in the two wheelers only 2 or 3 were not wearing helmets. Going forward wearing helmets should be made mandatory for the pillion riders too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Actually MTC bus drivers are fined.
The traffic cops don't stop these buses for it causes inconvenience
to office goers. Instead they note down the number and pass it on to MTC.
And the fines are deducted from their next month's salary.
This hasn't been a sucessfull strategy because of the amount of fine ,which is just Rs. 50
Daewood, you are absolutely right on this. The drivers used to be challaned by MTC management. Now a days I am not sure if this is still in practice, given the number of buses violating the rules. I hope still the PC at the junctions notes down the number and sends it to MTC.
Old 19th July 2010, 20:46   #25
BHPian

What we have here is a no win situation. There is pretty much nothing you can do.

Driver education - How to dive ? This is hopeless.
Law adherence - What law ?
Law enforcement - Bike Rs. 100, Car Rs.200 one-ly

With all these out of sync its a miracle we have so less accidents.

Today a School Van almost rammed my car at a junction.
I asked the guy, what are you trying to do ? You have kids on that bus and you should know I have right of way.

He began on how I don't know to drive and I could sense the next was an expletive.
I told him, boss you are making and unnecessarily "scene" and since there are little kids please be on your way. He got the message and moved on.

Morons like these are driving our kids to school.
So its only inevitable that "we are like this only"

Last edited by yzfrj : 19th July 2010 at 20:48.
Old 19th July 2010, 21:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

By the way I filled out the "Suggestions" form in Chennai Traffic Police :: Welcome last week.

Suggestions given:
1. Ask cops to be friendly, stop using abusive words, treat with respect. Don't snatch bike keys from bikers when you have asked them to stop and they have stopped.
2. Unnecessary overtaking, lane-changing and driving too close are the top 3 problems of Chennai traffic. Start campaigns through all available media (tv, radio, posters, Internet) to spread awareness campaign on these 3 points. Rope in cine stars to give their voice.
3. Have targeted campaigns at autorickshaw drivers groups, call for MTC drivers all-hands meetings, truck drivers groups, and spread awareness in an earnest and friendly way.

I request everyone to give similar kind of feedback on the site. There is some chance, at some point of time someone may read some of these suggestions. If 100 of us, or better 1000 of us or more come up with these suggestions, then it may make a tiny difference to the top cops' approach & enthusiasm, and who knows, it may make a difference.
Old 20th July 2010, 17:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
By the way I filled out the "Suggestions" form in Chennai Traffic Police :: Welcome last week.
Suggestion ain't gonna help Bro.
Sorry to sound pessimistic but its the truth right there.

I've filed a complaint against 2 "drunk" cops who stopped me and took around 200 out of my wallet in a so called "checking". As expected nothing happened. (its around 2 year back)
Old 20th July 2010, 21:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Violations in Chennai roads are common scene. You might be a victim if you are not noticing a car behind you in a signal. He might hit you behind. Beware of the MRTC buses they might scratch you, Beware of the autos they are having their own rules.Apart from all out yellow board Taxis never admit that the road is for all. If you are beware of all these people, you can drive safe in Chennai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks