Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2010, 00:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Awesome report Rehaan. Loved the first para especially

I checked out the New Cayenne at the evening launch event at the Porsche Centre Mumbai this evening. As far as looks are concerned, a big improvement over the earlier model and I love the front. As far as the rear goes, Porsche sees to adopting a new design philosophy. Look at the new Cayenne from the rear straight, you wont fail to notice the resemblance to the Panamera's rear end.

Interiors look fresh and have a nice feel to them. But that centre console is outright confusing. Again carried over from the Panamera. The new steering is nice to hold and the paddles easy to reach.

Nice of Porsche to get in all the engine options to India. As mentioned in this thread, the diesel will bring in the numbers for Porsche. But it was the Hybrid which really interested me. If the Govt. could lower duties for hybrid CBUs, this would surely come in at a nice price and has the potential to be a hot seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Splendid, Rehaan.

My personal pick would be Cayenne S Hybrid. Given that its reasonably priced, cheaper than Cayenne S and almost at par with Cayanne S in performance, it should do well in terms of sales. However, how does it compare in maintenance with Cayenne S and in terms of battery life / cost of replacement?

Cheers,
Though I do not know the cost of the battery, Mr Stan Evans the Brand Manager for Porsche told me that the battery life would be 10 years / 3,00,000 kms

Last edited by Dippy : 23rd July 2010 at 10:10.
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good job by Porsche. I liked the Gen1 refresh better than the original and I like this even more.

Weight reduction is a move in the right direction and helps the negative image that SUVs have aquired (not in India I guess)

However one would think that a company like Porsche would have picked the V8 4.2Tdi engine rather than the V6.
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Though I do not know the cost of the battery, Mr Stan Evans the Brand Manager for Porsche told me that the battery life would be 10 years / 3,00,000 kms
That's pretty good considering the fact that batteries would really not require change during the life-span of the vehicle unless something malfunctions in the battery.

Cheers,
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:01   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't like the looks but I will make my decision once I see it in flesh. The previous Cayanne too just grew on me over time.

The Cayanne_D would defiantly be popular but I reckon the Cayanne_S HYBRID to show good volumes too. And it could come close to the sales of the Cayanne_D

Here's why I think so, the Cayanne buyer is very different from a Q7 buyer. A Q7 buyer is one that uses his car for long distances and likes having the extra two seats when needed, he uses the Q7 the most of all his cars. The Cayanne buyer on the other hand is one that does not have many highway runs for work and even if he does he prefers taking one of his luxury sedans. The Cayanne is his night out car and holiday get away(which is where the slight need of FE comes). He wants his car to feel special and have immense snob value(which is where the HYBRID 'newness' comes). Besides he might also find the diesel clatter to lessen the 'snob value'.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:17   #20
BHPian

Sad but true, Porsche is only known in Indian by its huge SUV Cayenne, majority of people buy this one only. But the actual fun is in their Sports cars.

Today a huge mistake by local Gujarati news paper in Ahmedabad that they have printed that Porsche India has launched New Cayenne with max price up to Twelve Crores

Last edited by hiren959 : 23rd July 2010 at 11:18.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post

Today a huge mistake by local Gujarati news paper in Ahmedabad that they have printed that Porsche India has launched New Cayenne with max price up to Twelve Crores
Ha ha ha ... The same mistake was made by Rediff yesterday, but they corrected it immediately. They had printed 12.7 instead of 1.27.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:58   #22
BHPian

I like everything about this car except the rear. But maybe after I see it on the roads i may change my mind, because thats what happened to me with the earlier Cayenne.
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

From the front, it looks like they have copied Panamera and it does add the glamour part to the SUV! Loved the interiors (again looks like the Panamera). But still, the Q7 looks (more monsterish?) better than the Cayenne.
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Wow, thats a very sweet machine . Nice shots there bro !!
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:53   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
...2. There are not many service centres for these cars in India. If I am not mistaken there are only 5 authorised centres right now.
As per the ad in the DNA that i just saw, there are 7 Porsche centers in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSooSeriouss View Post
Car looked good in real...
Looks even better when out on the road - just saw one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
As far as the rear goes, Porsche sees to adopting a new design philosophy. Look at the new Cayenne from the rear straight, you wont fail to notice the resemblance to the Panamera's rear end.
Absolutely. But thats also what people HATED the most about the Panamera!

As for my soccer mom comment about the rear, i keep drawing this parallel in my mind :

2011 Porsche Cayenne Launched in India-newcarharrier2005rear.jpg

cya
R
Old 23rd July 2010, 22:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

@ Rehaan:

In connection with your opening statement, you should have seen how much the Porsche guys hate Jeremy Clarkson. Boy was he being cursed during my conversation with Stan
Old 24th July 2010, 14:33   #27
BHPian

loved the front, but like as everyone one else, found the rear to be a disappointment. very stationwagon jap SUV type. liked the earlier cayenne's rear more.

I was just about to say the same - the rear resembles something like the panamera, but then dippy already said it. i somehow still can't forget the classic rear of a porsche 911. why can't they derive something from that?

the steering might feel sportier, but somehow i liked the samosa shaped steering more than this one. maybe this will grow over me with time.

doesn't this cayenne look shorter than the earlier one?? or rehaan you are really tall so when you click the pictures, it makes the car look shorter?
Old 24th July 2010, 14:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
the steering might feel sportier, but somehow i liked the samosa shaped steering...
LOL...I liked the samosa too !!

Quote:
doesn't this cayenne look shorter than the earlier one?? or rehaan you are really tall so when you click the pictures, it makes the car look shorter?
I doubt that is the case
Old 24th July 2010, 21:11   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Height
Original Cayenne Turbo : 1696mm
2011 Cayenne Turbo : 1702mm
Rehaan (1983 m.y.) : 1752mm

Note : Though it seems the 2011 is higher than the original, it sure didn't seem that way in person, and another thing thats unclear is what suspension setting these measurements are taken at - since that can obviously alter the dimensions drastically. Doctorque - any info on this?

cya
R

PS - Dippy, i'm not sure any manufacturer would like JC! (except maybe ferrari)

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th July 2010 at 21:23.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2010, 21:33   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
...The wide range of 8 available ratios benefit the F.E. and remove the need for a separate low ratio box when off-roading as well.
Here are the gear ratios for the 2011 Cayenne S

Name:  Cayenne S.png
Views: 3037
Size:  55.1 KB

Shows the wide spread of the ratios - with first being super low for extreme conditions.

Attached is a PDF with the gear ratios for all the other versions (each gearbox is set up differently), as well as torque and power graphs for each of the 5 versions.

cya
R
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engine & Transmission.pdf (1.25 MB, 788 views)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks