Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 15:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Master plan!

Quote:
What is Maruti's game plan here? CNG is not available in many places, what about them? Are they trying to retain market shares by concentrating only at select locations? Lack of own Diesel engine is costing MSIL a lot. A lot.
Maybe the tie up with VW (partial take over) will help Suzuki...However, Delhi itself may account for more sales than a couple of smaller states put together. CNG is also available in Maharashtra and Gujrat. Hyderabad is catching up too.

Combined they can push a lot of sales. Mile for mile, no fuel can match CNG in running costs
Old 12th August 2010, 15:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

CNG Eeco will be a sure hit. SX4 & Wagon R may also fetch some decent numbers for sure. SPecially for SX4. Many people like SX4 Muscular styling but due to its poor FE against other fuel efficient petrol & diesel cars, don't go for it.

For alto, estilo i really doubt if it will work. Better they roll out Automatic version for them, specially for new Alto. It will give lots of people a best option under 4 lacs.
Old 12th August 2010, 16:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

In my view this a very good strategic move by Suzuki, globally Suzuki does not have very good diesel engines to compete with its peers that a know weakness.

Suzuki knows that diesel engine vehicles are well accepted in the Indian market however developing diesel engine is not that easy, buying technology from Fiat is also not strategically wise. However Suzuki’s competitive petrol engines can be fitted with CNG/LPG easily and thus reducing the cost of (fuel) operating a vehicle, there by beating the diesel cost advantage. After all the Indian customer wants ...mileage...!

This move will also be seen as environmentally friendly and Suzuki will be advertising big time on this advantage.

I am personally happy to see this trend and quite sure we will see many more vehicles coming up with Gas based fuels. Good move M Suzuki..

Last edited by tj123 : 12th August 2010 at 16:18.
Old 13th August 2010, 10:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

I heard on the FM today morning that they have launched these cars with CNG. Any news ?
Old 13th August 2010, 13:01   #20
BHPian

I'm following this thread very closely. I'm planning to buy couple of CNG Eecos for my factory. If indeed Eeco comes in CNG then i'll be the first one to book couple of them. Any confirmation news whether it has been launched today or going to be launched soon???
i actually canceled the delivery of petrol Eeco because of this news.
Old 13th August 2010, 17:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

yeah, the FM news was right, it was launched yesterday, here it the news from NDTV profit website.

__________________________________________________ ________________

The country's largest car maker Maruti Suzuki on Friday launched CNG variants of five models. The models include SX4, Eeco, WagonR, Estilo and Alto and they would be launched in Delhi NCR, Mumbai and Gujarat.

Ex-showroom Delhi price (Rs. Lakh) of Maruti Suzuki CNG vehicles

Alto LXi Rs. 3.23 lakh
Eeco 5-seater Ac Rs. 3.64 lakh
SX4 VXi Rs. 7.47 lakh
WagonR LXi Rs. 4.11 lakh
Estilo LXi Rs. 4.05 lakh

Shinzo Nakanishi Managing Director & CEO Maruti Suzuki India said, "The development is significant on multiple counts. This is the first instance when a car manufacturer has developed and launched factory-fitted technologically superior CNG engines in India. Compressed natural gas is environment friendly and also reduce country's dependence on imported fuels."

In a statement the automaker said, as the CNG technology is factory fitted the customers will enjoy the full warranty benefits including extended warranty. To top it all, the CNG vehicles from Maruti Suzuki will enjoy the nationwide back up of over 2700 Maruti Service Stations, it added.

The factory fitted CNG vehicles use advanced Intelligent Gas Port Injection technology. Maruti Suzuki R&D team has integrated this technology with the company's range of engines and products to bring the benefits to the consumers.

Old 13th August 2010, 17:32   #22
BANNED

So, Maruti has chosen only the base variants (but having A/C) for this technology? What about the higher variants?

All these models are priced about Rs 50K higher than their Petrol variants. It's a bit high IMO.
Old 13th August 2010, 17:58   #23
BHPian

Only 800cc Alto is getting CNG ??
K10 Alto with CNG would have been great.
And the kits are they sequential ???
Old 13th August 2010, 18:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
So, Maruti has chosen only the base variants (but having A/C) for this technology? What about the higher variants?

All these models are priced about Rs 50K higher than their Petrol variants. It's a bit high IMO.
50K is definitely on higher side. Looks like skimming pricing
But let us see the new technology (i-GPI) benefits.

Cheers
Old 13th August 2010, 19:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
50K is definitely on higher side. Looks like skimming pricing
But let us see the new technology (i-GPI) benefits.

Cheers
The CNG conversion done from outside the dealer will cost around Rs. 40K. We did the conversion in M800 approx 3 years ago with a bill of Rs. 36K. But the cylinder is not very large. IMO, the CNG cylinder will be larger in these cars as they have more space.

Plus the warranty is a factor that does induce in Peace-Of-Mind.

The conversion kit earlier offered by dealers for Alto would cost around Rs. 45K in my city. So this extra Rs. 50K is a quite a good deal IMO.

I had a few queries :

1) Does the Alto K10 get the CNG kit. To the best of my knowledge, Alto LX still would come with F series unit, where as the LXi and VXi get K10.

2) What is the power output in CNG mode of all the cars ?
Old 14th August 2010, 00:34   #26
BHPian

can someone please throw some light on the 'i-GPI' technology.
As per the maruti press release, this will let the cars perform similar to their petrol counterparts even when running on CNG..so would this be the SI cng kit?
has anyone got some on-hand driving experience on vehicles with SI cng kits?

peace,
~kg
Old 14th August 2010, 12:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

The EECO CNG brochure.

Will upload the other brochures when hey become available.

EECO also coming in ambulance and cargo variants.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to launch CNG SX4, Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R and Eeco? EDIT : Launched-untitled1.jpg  

Maruti to launch CNG SX4, Alto, Estilo, Wagon-R and Eeco? EDIT : Launched-untitled2.jpg  

Old 14th August 2010, 14:40   #28
BHPian

Why has Maruti chosen CNG over LPG? I thought LPG was the designated fuel for private vehicles viz-a-viz CNG for public transport.
Old 14th August 2010, 16:15   #29
BHPian

I own a baleno cng from past one and half years.

Some calculations from the information provided in a brochure.

CNG capacity of 65 ltrs indicate that it would accomodate ~11kgs of CNG.
Considering EECO petrol gives average of 14kmpl on petrol (based on some reviews on TBhp) it would easily give 18kms on 1 kg of CNG.
That transaltes to CNG cost of Rs.356/- (CNG costs 32.41/kg in thane).
Driving range of 198kms on 11kgs of CNG and hence the total cost of Rs. 1.80/km.

However, there are some points to consider before you buy CNG EECO vehicle for urself.

1. Very cheap running costs
2. Easily filler access in EECO. Whenever I go to fill up CNG in baleno I have to open the bonnet to fill CNG, which is quite a pain since you have to fill it every alternate day.
3. Good driving range of Eeco since my baleno used to give a driving range of only 125kms in city.
4. Most important is company warranty.
5. You should cover a good number of kms to recover the additional cost of CNG. I have been only saved a total of Rs. 24000/- in a year and a half of the total investment of Rs. 42000/-, and now my daily running or car has come down from 80kms/day to 25kms/week (company provides me transfers now).
6. Enough boot space will be available atleast in Eeco but nil boot space in all the small cars.
7. Considerable filling time. I used to get CNG filled during peak hours when cabs and autos are busy with the business and cng pumps are relatively less crowded.

A premium of Rs.50,000 is pretty justified considering the company fitted kit, warranty and easy filling option.

Hope it helps all those planning for a CNG vehicle.

Drive safe.
Old 14th August 2010, 18:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Considering Hyundai Santro CNG kit costs Rs. 52 k (Source Hyundai India website: Hyundai Motor Company :: Prices), i think this is the right pricing by Maruti.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks