Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 15:53   #1
BHPian

Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?

Think about this: How would a 2 seater NANO be?

Why can't manufacturers provide cheap 2 seater versions of their popular cars. As many cars rarely travel with more than 2 on board. I drive to work single everyday. Wouldn't this make sense?
Old 29th July 2010, 16:55   #2
BHPian

Ahem, we do. They are called bikes.

Generally in most parts of the world, the only two seater cars are extremely expensive sports cars. Totally impractical, but great for enthusiasts.

What would be the advantage of such a cheap two seater? It would take up nearly as much road space as a four seater, and cost nearly as much as a four seater. Most people who want such a car would go for a bike instead.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:20   #3
BHPian

Cost effective two seater cars will probably only be considered by a folks buying a second car.
As with any cost effective models, manufacturers should be able to sell in large number to justify its introduction.Will they be able to achieve that with a cost effective two seater?

Also
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post

What would be the advantage of such a cheap two seater?
Old 29th July 2010, 17:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Bikes are considered as the standard "two seater" vehicle in India. Here most people buy cars when they get married and/or when they have kids. And yes, you can have a look at Reva, if that's what you need.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:27   #5
BHPian

Reva is a very small car though it still has 4 seats !
But I feel instead of having a 2 seater car, we should have covered bikes for commuting in bad weather conditions.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Reva is a very small car though it still has 4 seats
The only way to sit in those rear seats is to chop your legs off though
Old 29th July 2010, 17:44   #7
BHPian

I would like to point out that though 2 wheelers are the standard 2 seaters, they lack the stability, convenience and charm of a car. During a riot, you can be pulled off your bike and roughed up. In heave traffic, 'sitting' on a bike can be real tiring, and sweaty. During and accident, you are thrown off the bike on impact which can have serious implications. A covered bike can be claustrophobic. Hence, bikes don't make sense for quite a few people.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

I guess what he meant as 2 seater not a cabriolet but a 2 seater enclosed car with tandem seats sort of like a fighter jet cockpit.These type of vehicles have complex suspensions which allow the vehicle to be driven like a bike leaning into the corners.But the are expensive.
Old 29th July 2010, 22:00   #9
BHPian

I didn't mean expensive 2 seater cars. What i meant was ordinary hatchbacks with a considerably shortened length and wheelbase and a true 2 seater. No stupid unusable rear seat like the Reva. It would make sense since it is going to be lighter and smaller, offering easy parking and greater fuel efficiency. And it should be cheaper!
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2010, 22:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Like the Smart car, more vehicles ought to be developed for countries such as India.Compact, safe and definitely fuel efficient.
Having said that, I so wish even the San Storm was tweaked to perform better, and then be re-introduced in the Indian market.Definitely had a lot of potential when it was offered the first time.
Old 30th July 2010, 00:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would love a compact 2-seater car too. In other words, bike with a roof and AC.
Old 30th July 2010, 06:57   #12
BHPian

What we basically need is a 3-4 seater with low footprint and a full body that would provide safety and comforts. Would be an ideal city commute for many (as their second drive).

The closest I could find was the Piaggio HYmotion3 Concept. Links below

Peugeot HYmotion3: Mix of BMW C1 and Piaggio MP3? - ADVrider

Faster and Faster: Peugeot HYmotion3 Compressor concept unveiled at the 2008 Paris Motor Show
Old 30th July 2010, 07:59   #13
BHPian

Globally they are referred to as the sports utility variety, powered with really big and super charged powertrains. I think the Nano fits the budget within the 1.5 lakh budget considering a few bikes today cost that much.
Old 30th July 2010, 08:00   #14
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The San Storm would have the perfect two-seater budget car in India with that convertible appeal and cute looks, wish it had a more powerful engine. Even Maruti's K-series engine will do wonders on the fantastic chasis of the Storm.
Old 30th July 2010, 08:25   #15
BHPian

A couple of cars like Toyota Echo and Yaris comes to my mind, but I guess TATA NANO would be best suited for such a thing.

I assume the thread starter meant 2 seater to be more economical than the 4 seater. But if the car is already economical, say like NANO, then no. of seats would not be a problem. Because I don't know how much money could be saved by reducing the wheelbase and taking the seats off. But if this vehicle is designed with 3 wheels then may be the savings could be better. Something for Bajaj and TVS to think about

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks