Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2010, 12:06   #31

re: Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Think about this: How would a 2 seater NANO be?

Why can't manufacturers provide cheap 2 seater versions of their popular cars. As many cars rarely travel with more than 2 on board. I drive to work single everyday. Wouldn't this make sense?

I am surprised to see the feedback to this question you raised, I feel it is a very valid requirement. You can never compare a bike with a car. When I was considering buying a car, I found myself asking the same question. Why is the market forcing me to buy a huge car when I need something much smaller. I drive an Ikon, and there have practically never been more than two people aboard. It would surely make sense to see a much smaller version of the car, which would make it lighter, swifter, cheaper and improve the fuel economy.
There is one car in India which meets that requirement, the Storm, by Sam Motors. It is a compact 2 seater convertible under 5L. But it has a relatively small network in the market, so you might not see it being sold around you.
Most cars come up with a coupe version of their standard model, which is basically two real seats and sometimes a tiny back seat with can be occupied by only children shorter than 4ft in height. You could also try searching for TATA Aria Coupe unveiled in the Geneva Motor Show 2001 . That is precisely what we need in India.
Old 30th December 2010, 13:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

^ Sir, the answer you seek is all around you. Making a car smaller, requires a whole new platform (R&D expense), revised dynamics, safety assesment, and the cost will actually prove to be costlier. How many people can go in for a 2 seater car. They will then have to custom make it, as they cannot mass produce 100,000 cars and then wait ages for people to buy them. Also, they canot make the size too small, as the safety may get compromised

Remember, most 2 seater sports cars we see overseas and in India, are atleast 4 meters in lenght and maybe even 4.5 meters. So cost ends up being the same
Old 30th December 2010, 14:20   #33
BANNED

In a country where making a 2 door car is considered a criminal offence and the designer of the Dzire is worthy of a Padmashree, can we even dream of 2 seater cars? The best option would be a Nano with the rear seats removed.
Old 30th December 2010, 14:49   #34
BHPian

+1 to that, a two door Nano with fold-able back seat will be good. It will also solve the problem of storage and double up as a four seater at times. It will look more sporty as well. However in terms of cost I guess it is going to be the same. With little bit of tweaking Tata can create a new segment (upwardly mobile youth/singles).
Old 30th December 2010, 15:41   #35
BANNED

One of the reasons I got a Gypsy is because its a 2 door. I was searching for a personal vehicle feel not one meant for a rath yatra and a large joint family with many relatives coveting it and asking to use it or borrow it. Not that I have relatives to worry about ...

Cheers
Old 30th December 2010, 21:28   #36
BHPian

There is no country in this world where you get cheap or less expensive two seater convertible cars. Basically two seater convertible cars are sports cars and they are meant for high performance and are considered status symbols.

They are expensive to build and run and are made of high quality materials. If such cars are to be sold at lesser price then they will have to compromise with quality and ultimately they would not sell. Moreover such cars are considered pleasure vehicles and are not meant for regular family use. So they are the rich boys toys and rich boys will not buy someting which is not of very good quality.

This is purely my opinion. Correct me if i am wrong.
Old 30th December 2010, 23:01   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
There is no country in this world where you get cheap or less expensive two seater convertible cars. Basically two seater convertible cars are sports cars and they are meant for high performance and are considered status symbols.

They are expensive to build and run and are made of high quality materials. If such cars are to be sold at lesser price then they will have to compromise with quality and ultimately they would not sell. Moreover such cars are considered pleasure vehicles and are not meant for regular family use. So they are the rich boys toys and rich boys will not buy someting which is not of very good quality.

This is purely my opinion. Correct me if i am wrong.
AFAIK, most small hatches in the international market have a 3 door version that is not necessarily a sport version. Am not talking about convertibles but the 2 door vehicles we are discussing here.
So 2 doors are not as 'exclusive' products, but here in india it is the question of volumes.How many people are ready to buy them for the companies to justify their production?
Old 30th December 2010, 23:35   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
AFAIK, most small hatches in the international market have a 3 door version that is not necessarily a sport version. Am not talking about convertibles but the 2 door vehicles we are discussing here.
So 2 doors are not as 'exclusive' products, but here in india it is the question of volumes.How many people are ready to buy them for the companies to justify their production?
You are absolutely right about 2/3 door versions of hatches. It does not cost companies anything as they are already manufacturing them for export. However what is being discussed here is 2 seater cars and not 2 door cars (though a 2 seater car will invariably come with only 2 doors).
Old 31st December 2010, 10:53   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Ooopppsss, left that out.
Then @patil may be right.
2 seater cars are the bastion of sports car, but if we go into revolutionary futuristic cars then 2 seater concepts is inevitable. Maybe in future cheap 2 seater cars will come into prominence not only in india but also around the world,but for now it's a concept stage anywhere in the world.
Old 31st December 2010, 12:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Toyota iQ3!

If ever Toyota dares to bring this car to India with all equipment levels listed here, then I will buy this car even if it costs in par with i20 Asta(O). This is the exact car we need in Delhi.

Guys please enjoy!

Source : Toyota UK - New cars, Used cars, Reviews and Test Drives | Toyota UK

Toyota iQ3!

Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?-toyotaiq1.jpg

Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?-iq1_19_a.jpg

Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?-iq1_20_a.jpg

Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?-iq1_22_a.jpg

Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?-iq1_42_a.jpg

Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?-iq1_33_a.jpg

Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?-iq1_45_a.jpg

Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?-iq1_16_a.jpg

Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?-toyotaiq1spec.jpg

Why don't we have compact and affordable 2 seater cars?-e1.jpg

Download Brochure : http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/leads/pdfFiles/rc42811.pdf

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 1st January 2011, 13:59   #41
BHPian

@myavu
That car is absolutely perfect. Its small, practical, safe, comfortable, has a good engine, and I think even Jeremy Clarkson gave it a relatively good review.
I agree, I would definitely buy this car for short city runs (infinitely more safe, and technologically advanced than the nano).

However, I feel that it's unlikely that Toyota would bring this to India because it wouldn't sell in great numbers over here (for now that is, in a few years, lets see how the market matures).
Maybe as a CBU or CKD for now.
Old 1st January 2011, 14:29   #42
BHPian

Here is a 2 door car that would be perfect for India. I drove this in Africa and it was just the perfect city car. Good ground clearance, easy to maneuver and park and could seat 4 people comfortably for a city drive. Check it out 1996 Rav4 pictures by aaronmp2315 - Photobucket
FYI googled the pics.
Old 1st January 2011, 19:54   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

however practical and sensible it may be, the likely price wont do its sales any good unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead666 View Post
Here is a 2 door car that would be perfect for India. I drove this in Africa and it was just the perfect city car. Good ground clearance, easy to maneuver and park and could seat 4 people comfortably for a city drive. Check it out 1996 Rav4 pictures by aaronmp2315 - Photobucket
FYI googled the pics.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:02   #44
BHPian

Re: Toyota iQ3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
If ever Toyota dares to bring this car to India with all equipment levels listed here, then I will buy this car even if it costs in par with i20 Asta(O). This is the exact car we need in Delhi.

Cheers!

Vinu
Well the point is it will end up costing as much (if not more) than the i20 - according to the website it costs upwards of 10K GBP in the UK (~ 8+ Lakh here?) whereas the Aygo - a larger (read 4 seater) car with similar engine options is 20% cheaper. While the IQ is undeniably "cooler" and more desirable to a upwardly mobile niche audience (kind of like the Fiat 500/VW Beetle), I don't really see much of a market in it for India.

PS: I would definitely buy an IQ3 at a price point of 6-7 Lakh (vs a cheap sedan/ premium hatch) but then again I'm not sure if this sentiment is echoed by the masses
Old 1st January 2011, 21:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Well saying is easier than doing

But when it comes to you putting down money to actually go and pick up a 2 seater for 6-7 lakhs, lets see how many actually go

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks