Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 21:34   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Transfering Old VIP Number to New Car

Hi I have a 10 year old Lancer that I am planning to finally let go off. The car's number is a fancy one which I am looking forward to retain and get it on my new car ( whenever we buy one).
1. Is this possible in Delhi?
2. Do I need to buy the new car immediately or can I hold on the number and get it transferred to a new car whenever I buy one in the near future.
3. How much would be the approximate cost to re-register the 10 year old Lancer?

Also is it possible to shift this number to one of my existing cars ( which ofcourse already have there registration numbers) ?
Old 10th April 2014, 01:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hi I have a 10 year old Lancer that I am planning to finally let go off. The car's number is a fancy one which I am looking forward to retain and get it on my new car ( whenever we buy one).
2. Do I need to buy the new car immediately or can I hold on the number and get it transferred to a new car whenever I buy one in the near future.
3. How much would be the approximate cost to re-register the 10 year old Lancer?

Also is it possible to shift this number to one of my existing cars ( which ofcourse already have there registration numbers) ?
Hey Doc !
I am a new member here, coincidentally from West Delhi as well.
This is a very prevalent practice these days since the price of VIP numbers has skyrocketed in the recent past. It did involve some sort of unofficial manipulation earlier but AFAIK recently there has been some sort of legalization in this area.
Only prerequisites are the fitness certificate and atleast 2 years of ownership of the vehicle from which the number is being transferred.

1. Absolutely Yes.
2. Immediately and you are allotted a new number from the DL 1C Q **** series.
3. Last I heard the whole process costs Rs.30K, Please check with any car dealer.(Business of Old Cars with VIP numbers is lucrative)

Unofficially have seen old car to old car transfers but don't know about the current status.

Hope this helps.
Jag4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 00:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:

Any updates on this, Doc ?
Old 13th July 2014, 10:07   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Any updates on this, Doc ?
No nothing as of yet. Decided to stick with the current number. Whenever we will buy a new car, I will look into this.
Old 10th November 2014, 05:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
No nothing as of yet. Decided to stick with the current number. Whenever we will buy a new car, I will look into this.
Hey mate, any update on the transfer. I am very sure that one can transfer a fancy number from old car to a new car, but is it possible to transfer this number to another existing car/used car ?
Old 10th November 2014, 09:12   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Hey mate, any update on the transfer. I am very sure that one can transfer a fancy number from old car to a new car, but is it possible to transfer this number to another existing car/used car ?
No I haven't looked into yet. Dropped the idea to be honest. But may opt for transferring this number to the next new car that we buy. The cost for that is approximately 35k as told by another BHPian.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 10:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Having been through this process earlier, I understand that any vehicle if registered once, cannot have registration transferred from an old vehicle (technically). The only way registration of an old vehicle can be changed is when either it has a VIP/ Fancy Number which is being transferred to a New?Unregistered Vehicle or being reregistered in another state.
Sparkiplug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 23:07   #23
BHPian

I have an old Delhi RC of my father in laws fiat (sold as scrap) in 1995. The regn no. is DIU 100. Is there any way to reinstate that number on to my current car or to any new car i purchase? Has anyone got this done? Please share the formalities/fees involved. Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:33   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I have recently again looked into this area and I have gathered the following information from the RTO.

It is very much possible to transfer your old number to a new car. The process involves you filling a form and providing the RTO the following documents:
1. Your current car's RC.
2. Valid PUC.
3. Valid Insurance.
4. Address proof.
5. New vehicle booking slip.

Now the credentials like name etc should match the old RC identically. The old RC should not have any HP against it.

So what happens is that after applying with the above documents you will be provided with a letter/acknowledgement from the RTO. This document has to be then provided to the dealer by you. The dealer will add this document to your car's file and will take your new car to the RTO for registration. The new car will be issued a new number and the car will be delivered to you.

Now within a month of delivery, you have to take both your old car and new car to the RTO for physical inspection and after establishing that they will switch the number plates of the 2 cars i.e. the old fancy number will be put on your new car and the new random number on the old car. Both cars will again be allotted new RCs and you are good to go.

An important thing to note here is that the old car should be in working condition and not scrapped or dead and should have a valid RC and other documents listed above.

Things not clear yet to me:
1. Exact cost for this: The RTO official didn't know the exact cost but said it will be around 8-10k.
2. Whether they do this for an existing car also or not. Ideally the process listed above is simple and I don't see a reason why they can't do this for an existing car. I will seek clarification on this next time when I go. But they have clearly mentioned in the form that they want the booking slip of new car, implying that the process can only be done for a new car.
3. Why can't they do this for old cars that have been scrapped.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by drmohitg : 3rd March 2017 at 16:35.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 17:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I have recently again looked into this area and I have gathered the following information from the RTO.
This is what I gathered from my last visit. I am in the process of getting a VIP number transferred to a new car.
Attached Thumbnails
Transfering Old VIP Number to New Car-1488543193221.jpg  

ScorpMan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 17:50   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Bingo. That is the same form that I filled. And it clearly mentions booking receipt of new vehicle. Did you enquire about the cost for the same? Also in how many days did you get the letter?
Old 3rd March 2017, 20:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Bingo. That is the same form that I filled. And it clearly mentions booking receipt of new vehicle. Did you enquire about the cost for the same? Also in how many days did you get the letter?
I am planning to visit the Mall Road Authority on Monday and do the needful. And IIRC, the guy said only minor fee will be charged. Shouldn't be more than 1k I guess. I hope you visited the same authority, as this place handles all the VIP/Fancy numbers issued in Delhi. But are you sure that the new random number will be first alloted to the new car, and later the switch will happen.
Old 4th March 2017, 00:45   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to visit the Mall Road Authority on Monday and do the needful. And IIRC, the guy said only minor fee will be charged. Shouldn't be more than 1k I guess. I hope you visited the same authority, as this place handles all the VIP/Fancy numbers issued in Delhi. But are you sure that the new random number will be first alloted to the new car, and later the switch will happen.
Yes. This was told to me by the dealership people. They need to release the new car to me which can be done only after registering it. And then I need to take both the vehicles to the RTO and get them swapped. If you are going on Monday then please do find out about these things. I will be getting the work done too this month or the next. I got the form from the RTO though. And yes it is the same mall road branch. Counter number 18 is where they deal with this.
Old 18th June 2017, 13:27   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Update

So finally I have successfully completed the process of retaining/transferring my old car's VIP number to my new ride. There is very less clarity on this topic and hence I thought I will document my experience here.

Can you transfer old car's VIP number to new car? Yes.
How much time does it take? Approximately 1 month for the whole process.
What's the amount you have to shell? Approximately 1000 Rs in total.
And most importantly can you do it on your own without any touts/bribes? Yes.

The following are the steps that one needs to follow:
1. Finalize your new car and obtain the booking receipt for the same from the dealership.
2. Go to the RTO ( Mall road RTO in case of Delhi) and tell them what you need. They will give you the required form ( a copy of the same is attached in one of the posts above on this page) and you need to fill the form along with the required documents mentioned on the form including the following:
a. Your current car's RC.
b. Valid PUC.
c. Valid Insurance.
d. Address proof.
e. New vehicle booking slip.

Now the credentials like name etc should match the old RC identically. The old RC should not have any HP or pending challans against it.

3. Once you have submitted the above, you will be provided with a letter/acknowledgement from the RTO at the same time.

4. This document has to be then provided to the dealer by you. The dealer will add this document to your car's file and will take your new car to the RTO for registration. Point to note here is that this letter has a validity period of 1 month and hence you need to ensure that you get your car registered with the RTO within this time. The new car will be issued a new random number and the car will be delivered to you.

5. You have to now wait till the RC for your new car ( carrying the new random allotted number) comes. This can usually take around 15-45 days, although usually it comes within 15-20 days to your dealership.

6. Collect the RC from the dealership and now go to the RTO again with your new car documents including the new RC and your old car in physical along with its documents. The RTO inspector will carry out an inspection of your old vehicle ( hence the need for your old car to be present there) and take impressions of your old car's chassis number. He will give you an acknowledgement for the same and then you have to submit the same back to RTO. The RTO will now issue you a fresh set of RCs, one for each of your car. These updates RCs will again take around 15-45 days to arrive and this time you need to go collect them directly from the RTO. The new RC would not be showing the older VIP number of your new ride and the new number on your old ride.

7. The RTO will then charge you for two fresh HSRPs for both the cars and you need to submit the receipt at their designated number plate making outlet where you wil be issued your new number plates in a couple of days. And finally you are good to go.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th June 2017 at 07:28. Reason: As requested
drmohitg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 14:59   #30
BHPian

Thanks for the information Mohit. It will help a lot of people. I tried to get the same done in mumbai but no one knew the procedure now this will help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks