Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2010, 11:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

I agree with prince pervez and lukeskywalker - patience is a virtue and behaving as if the signal is a starting grid of a race track is a recipe for disaster. After all it is a matter of seconds. I dont have any issues with any vehicles in front unless the driver is day dreaming or just looking at the scenery instead of driving forward when the signal turns green.
Old 7th August 2010, 11:26   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
In Chennai, they start the Autos only after the signal turns green . We also have the completely opposite sort. At times, some Indicas are quite quick off the line too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
It is not good to generalize like this. M800 is slower than Indica, Alto is slower than indica.

BTW, Indicas are way better than many other hatchbacks in terms of power and pickup. And what does "frustating" mean? Do you mean Frustrating?
I feel its not particularly about Indica, but as Indica is the most widely used car for commercial use in India, these cars are everywhere and every car keeps going around and around the city. This makes every signal in every IT/Metro city to have maximum number of Indiacs.

To this add up the frusteration of the motivation (and sleep) deprived cab driver who is sick and bored of driving, hence picks up speed a lot slower than other cars.
Old 7th August 2010, 12:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Hi Gurus,

Many times I notice and I try to avoid the situation to have an Indica in front of me while waiting at a traffice signal or in a lsow moving traffice.

Inadvertly it happens that the Indicas are at very slow speed at initial pick up or when they have to break and then pick up speed again.

It is really very frustating to be behind an Indica at this time in traffic. many times it causes the light to go back to red if you are behind an Indica.

Have any other person noticed this and what is your opinion about it.
Yes , it is very frustrating.

Very similarly, I hate it when people have more than 1 child. I have to stand in a much longer queue or traffic.
Old 7th August 2010, 12:44   #34
SCH
BHPian

What I had really meant was that the other lane traffic is moving at normal speed and when i used the word "Hate" meant that there is a slow coach in front of you, maximum times an old Indica which is delaying the traffic due to its big....................... turbo lag . For sure I do not want to encourage road rage, but the feeling at that moment is bad when you witness the other lane traffic moving at normal speed and you are stuck in your lane.
Old 7th August 2010, 17:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

There is no question of road rage here. Even a normal start / stop is bad enough if there is a Indica in front. And if you say it's about the drivers - yes I agree it's all about the drivers but then why are the majority of these drivers found driving Indicas. And I am not talking solely about cars being used commercially, even white plate Indicas are bad enough.

After the Indicas, the next worst set of drivers like these are always found driving a Honda.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 7th August 2010 at 17:06.
Old 7th August 2010, 19:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

I was following a Merc on my way home last evening on my Splendor. Even though it was only 6.00 PM traffic was moderately heavy in Guindy area due to the ongoing metro rail work. This fellow was honking and flashing his lights, also zig-zagging through lanes. I thought he was going to drop someone at the airport and may be was running a bit late. I was following at a steady 55 - 60 KPH, he would zoom off in to the distance, but will halt at the next signal and I would draw abreast off him. This went on till the airport where I expected him to turn right and enter and so kept a little to the left side, but to my surprise he too came to my lane and once past the airport, just took off.

He was obviously going past Tambaram on the NH 45 somewhere to the south. Instead of making a fool of himself in city traffic, why couldn't he be a little patient till he crossed the outskirts and then hit the gas? He could only feel frustrated in the bargain and could easily have caused an accident, in which case he would have been indefinitely delayed. And by the looks of the person at the wheel, it could not have been a driver.

Last edited by Gansan : 7th August 2010 at 19:27.
Old 7th August 2010, 20:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

No sir i dont hate any car for being ranked low in (un)vital statistics, and this is offtopic: topics like this comes up in a car crazy country where there is nothing happening worth to discuss.
Old 7th August 2010, 20:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

New York Minute: it's the interval between a Manhattan traffic light turning green and the guy behind you honking his horn. So said Johnny Carson.
And it is very true in India. I tend to drop the clutch as soon as the lights go green like I am on an F1 grid.
BUT
I don't find people accelerating slowly irritating, autos who choose to crank their engine after the light goes green only very mildly irritating.
The ones I am really irritated with are the ones not paying attention to the lights turning green. That really gets my goat.
Old 8th August 2010, 00:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Three pages gone by and this guy still hasn't said what car he drives that he finds Indica a snail. I do not own an Indica nor am I a fan but yes I think we tend to be too harsh towards Tata/Mahindra. I wonder what he has to say about new Altis D. Indica can run rings around this car.
Old 8th August 2010, 01:58   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
When accelerating from a red light, always be extra careful as the guy in front might stop suddenly and without warning
I have a similar saying: Just because the car in front has started moving doesn't mean it'll go on moving!

Traffic signals is one thing that London drivers are good at, particularly in the current anti-car regime where a green can last only a few seconds. If you are not quick off, you will earn the ire of your fellow drivers, even though it might not be quite as noisy as in India.

This is frustrating:

What should happen: All the drivers who can see the lights, should be watching the lights, and should be ready to move the instant the car in front moves. In an impossible, ideal world, they would all start simultaneously.

What Does happen: Everybody thinks about the car in front of them, and begins the whole mental and physical process of starting only after the car immediately in front has done so. Yes, if this includes a couple of hand-cranking autos, and a biker who, when his bike doesn't kick start, doesn't have the sense to walk it out of the way, this can be a lengthy process. Almost as lengthy as that sentence!

But hey, in the real world, I vote: relax!
Old 8th August 2010, 08:56   #41
BHPian

@mods, such threads only encourage poor driving etiquette amongst people. Like so many of us who said already, this are roads and not race tracks! The chaps drive cars and not carts/dragsters. And there are real pedestrians on those roads, not those highly trained race stewards. If you like, please consider the car in front of you as the safety car. Let's close this thread as it seems like a hate thread from someone who is obviously a speed freak without little tolerance for other saner drivers.

Can we close this please?

BH.
Old 9th August 2010, 08:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

I have encountered not only Indica's but even Camry's, Accords picking up slowly when the signal goes green. Althought there is no point in fretting around, honking incessently, the best possible way is to change lanes and move on. No point in highlighting a particular car.

IMO the worst part is when age catches up with the vehicle and still the driver wants to take off like a rocket in rickety tin can and blows a thick cloud of balck smoke, I would really want to whack such guys.
Old 9th August 2010, 09:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

What is the point in taking off like a F1 car as soon as the signal turns green? Mostly all the signal are synchronized in all major cities and if one starts off and drives normally (~ 60KPH) mostly the successive signals will be clear. If one roars off, he will simply hit the next signal just as it turns red - like the Merc guy I mentioned - and will have to fret and fume.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:32   #44
BHPian

Indica???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Hi Gurus,

Many times I notice and I try to avoid the situation to have an Indica in front of me while waiting at a traffice signal or in a lsow moving traffice.

Inadvertly it happens that the Indicas are at very slow speed at initial pick up or when they have to break and then pick up speed again.

It is really very frustating to be behind an Indica at this time in traffic. many times it causes the light to go back to red if you are behind an Indica.

Have any other person noticed this and what is your opinion about it.

Hi,
I don't think this has anything to do with any brand of car you drive whether it be a M800 or and Audi or a Ferrari
There are multiple factors to this
(1) Driver's skills. Some drivers tend to be a bit cautious and others just take off as if they are in a F1 arena

(2) Then the perpetual problem of people waiting for the green signal to start crossing the road. Come to Bangalore. You will see this in almost all traffic signals. When the signal is red they also stand waiting for it to turn green. And if it happens to be a member of fairer sex on her cell phone you had it ( no offense to anybody, but girls/women do believe that roads belong to them when they cross. They take their own sweet time)

(3) Then all the BPO cabbies, Sumo, ricks, etc either coming from the left to take a U-turn or flying off from the block beating all the high end cars. They start off very "nicely", but end up braking within 50 meter.

(4) I would say it's better to start slowly than hurry up. Few minutes of stoppage doesn't harm much than ending up in something nasty. If you are in real hurry, the best thing one could do (not always possible) is to start 5 or 10 mts earlier.

Best Regards,
Old 9th August 2010, 11:19   #45
BHPian

I have faced similar situations with bullock carts, manual rickshaws (some places in Kolkata still feature these), cycle rickshaws, overloaded trucks, buses busy picking / dropping passengers, bikes that refuse to kick start, vehicles wanting to turn right waiting for signal (in the wrong lane, of course).

But not with Indicas or autos.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks