Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 18:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@suman, can you check your bills. esp where Front and Rear Axle oils and transfer case/gear oil was changed?
Is the total labour charged from you 750rs or 750+ labor for the above mentioned jobs?
Tanveer, as I've said already, it is ONE charge. Don't forget that I just went through the 90k service

I think you're being ripped off by the Sterlings etc......the only time I'm charged additional labour is when there is a suspension or brake component change, not for any kind of oil change.

Last edited by suman : 28th September 2010 at 18:43.
Old 28th September 2010, 18:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
T
Lets take an example of a current paid service. I get charged a fixed amount (say 750), irrespective of what that service interval requires
Thats too good ,Delhi/NCR is cheap for initial purchase and service as well.
In Bangalore payed service is 1500 Rs for Safari ( service tax is over and above)
Old 28th September 2010, 20:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Amit, it was a hypothetical figure I used (which is why I mentioned "say").

It does differ from place to place. For example, at Dhingra Motors (and this was way way back), I used to pay 1060 plus Service Tax. In Autolinks, I now pay around 850 plus Service Tax. They used to bill a further 225 each for Catcon & Brake Pad cleaning but because I used to crib, they've now stopped (unless there is some brake pad replacement etc).

But the point is - whatever the charge for the service includes ALL Oil changes, be it Engine Oil, Brake Fluid, Gear Oil, Transfer Case Oil, Axle Oil, heck, even Coolant - whatever is part of that service.

And Tanveer, I just opened up all my Invoices - the FIRST time I was charged for labour during service was at the 30k kms service (when my free coupons were exhausted). At 25k kms, I had specifically made them open up & clean the Diesel tank for which they had charged me Rs 600 - but that was not a part of the regular service, I had done it as a precautionary measure prior to heading out to Corbett.
Old 29th September 2010, 00:00   #19
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for checking suman. Before 30,000kms actually no oil except for engine oil needs changing.
I guess I will got for 60K service, get scheduled jobs done, and see what labor gets charged.
BTW, for 2.2 the 60K service is free service!
Old 29th September 2010, 12:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

I got my Cedia serviced at J Williams in Pune on Monday. It was the 2nd free service and I was charged for oil & filter which is par for the course. A complete visual inspection of the under body (car on ramp) was carried out and they checked all the rubber boots and bushes, similar check was done for the belts and hoses under the hood. After washing the battery terminals were dried out and coated with petroleum jelly and the studs on the shock absorber columns were sprayed with an anti rust liquid, cleaned and given a very light coat of the jelly. All other small complaints that I had made were attended to and a test drive given. Overall a very satisfying experience. Sometimes it pays to buy from a manufacturer that does not sell too many vehicles.

Per the charts the free services will run out in 1 year or 20000 kms whichever is earlier. The minor replacements (spark plugs etc) start at 40000kms and the major replacements start at 60000 kms (all liquids, belts etc). However the extended warranty of the car also holds all the way up to 60000 kms or 3 years so I believe that is sufficient cover right there.
Old 29th September 2010, 20:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before 30,000kms actually no oil except for engine oil needs changing.
Tanveer, I had a Gear Oil as well as Differential Oil change at 20k kms, apart from the Engine Oil change. I was not charged any Labour as the service was covered by a Free Labour Service coupon.

The point is -
  • I have not been charged for any Labour for the duration of my free services
  • Post my free services, I have not been charged any additional labour for any form of oil or fluid or coolant change over & above the normal service charge.
Now, above is how it should be. Your experiences have been different & it seems like the workshops have pulled a fast one. It is too late for you to recover what has already been spent but I hope that you are adequately forewarned for the future.
Old 29th September 2010, 21:29   #22
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the heads up. I guess at 60K service I will be extra careful.
Old 30th September 2010, 19:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

This is a bit OT and relates to my new bike experience i had in 2002, fortpoint motors, mumbai. I had given my new cbz for the 2nd free service. There is glass all around the workshop. i could clearly see the mech empty out the engine oil, he did not even wait for it to drain out properly and closed the oil cylinder. further the new oil was just taken out from a oil drum and poured in. no measurement, no authenticty on the quality of the oil used.

Post this the bike was oiled, greased and then washed!!! Would you believe it, all the oil and grease washed away and they give me the bike with water dripping.

and they did charge for the engine oil change.
Old 1st October 2010, 02:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

in my case, they charged me for wheel alignment and balancing and a wash ( yes, they charged me for the wash). but all other labour has been free. But they insist on services in between in 5k kms or 6 months, during which they make all the pricey repairs , and charge for service. Additionally, at least for tata it seems they give a considerable amount of freedom to the dealers in billing ( at least that has been my experience after analyzing bills from various folks all over india uploaded at the TIUG) - and different TASC's bill differently ( I think we had a discussion on that , either you or zappo had started the thead) , so the dealer can very well screw the customer if they are not aware.
all my bills are there in my thread to see
Old 1st October 2010, 11:09   #25
BHPian

Is 6k for second service normal for Punto?!

Hey Guys

I just did my second service on my punto and the bill came to close to 6k!

I cant recollect the exact figures offhand but i was charged some 2200 for oil change,and some 2000 for lots of small changes like filter etc.

then I was told interior cleaning ( Only interior cleaning ) was done in the car and around 1200 was the cost!I was surprised and said I can get the cleaning done outside for 300 rs max.The reply was for Linea and Punto this is the rate fixed.This was never communicated to me.I always thought cleaning ( interior and exterior ) is done free by the service centre during free services.

Now is the above normal or have I been shortchanged yet again!!
Old 1st October 2010, 12:33   #26
BHPian

This is unfortunate, but true. For anything that we pay in advance - e.g., we have already paid for our 'free' services when we bought the car - the dealer/a.s.s. has no incentive of completing the service - when they can do another paid one and get 'direct' money. Hence they will always try to charge for whatever they can.

I believe the first few free services is a sham - somehow, nothing of significance is never changed anyways in the free service time anyways. Agree with another point made in this thread - the VW idea of only paid services at the yearly interval is a welcome trend, at least for me.
Old 4th October 2010, 16:06   #27
gou
BHPian

Quote:
Almost all car mfrs offer first five services free on labor. On cars with longer service intervals like the Safari, it means your free services last till 60,000kms!

however, based on my experience with Tata it looks to be a sham. Not only Tata, even other mfrs are following the same sham.

So lets see what does the coupon say.
It says free labor on service.

Now lets see what does a free service entitle you
1. Free Wash
2. Free oil change(labor)

Now is a service a wash and an oil change?
Well no, every service has its own set of must do items which are indicated in the service manual.

for example.
1. Gearbox oil change at 30,000kms
2. Vaccum hose change at 60,000kms
3. Coolant change every 60,000kms
4. Axle oil change at 45,000kms

The list goes on, and every car has these items listed in the service book.
Moreover, there are jobs to be done at every service like greasing etc.,

However, when you walk into a service center, and get a service done, only oil change and wash is free.

So why are our mfrs cheating the customers saying "labor" is free, when only oil change and washing labor is free.
The service coupons should clearly indicate.
1. Free oil change labor and free wash coupon, not a free service coupon.

A free service coupon should mean that labor for all scheduled tasks for that particular service should be free.

Looks like the car mfrs need to be a bit more forthcoming and honest when issuing such freebies.

Long time back Hyundai free service meant everything free(oil etc.,). It has been discontinued now.

In this tough economy, every penny counts, both for mfrs and consumers. So atleast they can be a bit more forthcoming and say that they will do only oil change and washing labor free, all other scheduled tasks have paid labor.
Chevrolet still gives 3 yrs maintenance free on Spark and Beat. And yes, it includes cost of oil and other stuff also. So its totally free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@tsk1979: I agree with you to some extent. Labour for all jobs in the free service shouls be included. I remember once the Hyundai dealer wanted to charge me for the wheel balancing. When I pointed it out that it was part of the 3rd service that went out. Then at the end he wanted to bill me some Rs.60 odd for the weights. I said fine, but will pay under protest and write a note on the voucher and take it up with Hyundai. That too went out.

Also, watch out for the engine decoke, radiator flush, nitrogen fill, etc. they try and foist on you. I just write no additional jobs without my consent on the service sheet in Capitals.

I may add that in the first two services for my Civic I paid Rs.ZERO (well Rs.20 for a fuse I had blown).
Having used Hyundai, Honda and Maruti, I feel Honda the services and service cost are better organised and much cheaper compared to Hyundai atleast (not that sure of cost in Maruti). Also they maintain a list of what each servicing at particular interval should cost and what all things need to be done in it. My OHC servicing is much cheaper compared to Santro.
Old 5th October 2010, 15:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gou View Post
My OHC servicing is much cheaper compared to Santro.
I owned Santro for three years and I agree to "gou" . I had some pathetic experiences with Modi Hyundai at Thane. They charged me Rs. 210 for roof lamp and Rs. 100 to replace the lamp. I had an argument with the service advisor and finally settled it at Rs. 200 (Cost + labor).
I had similar experience with Bajaj dealers for servicing my P150, for them free servicing just means "Oil change+washing". They don't even bother to adjust clutch or check battery electrolyte levels.
Old 7th October 2010, 16:24   #29
BHPian

Need Advice

I have given my Octavia for service. It is under the Preventive Maintenance Scheme where I get 8 free services. The scheme expires in November. The last service is a major service where they have to change
1. Engine Oil
2. Filter
3. Coolant
4. Timing Belt Kit
5. Brake Pads
6. Wipers
and 2 mre things i cant remember. Now these things have to be done free of cost.

Q1.) Can i trust them to complete these things?
Q2.) If No to Q1. How do I check they have actually done the job?
Q3.) How can you verify if the parts they claim to have replaced are new or old?

Thanks in advance.

If this is wrong topic to post here please guide me to the right one.

Request you to kindly post ASAP as i have to take delivery of the car on Saturday.
Old 7th October 2010, 20:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

I guess owning a GM Spark is really good on the pocket as far as service expenses go. They really give you a 0 bill for all services till 3 years. Parts, oil, lubricants, labor everything is covered. But I am not sure what they really did in their 1st reassurance service except keep the car for the whole day and only clean and wash it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks