Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 12:36   #31
BHPian

From the cars that I have driven and purely from a high speed perspective especially on highways, my choices are highlighted below -

Best : Palio, Punto, Linea, Ford Fiesta and then my present car AVEO
In between : Santro
Worst : I20, All Maruti cars including SX4 !
Old 30th March 2010, 12:36   #32
BHPian

Fords and Fiats should share honours for the best.

Worst was Wagon R followed by other Maruti EPSs.

But as GTO said in one review, our people tend to think the reverse. Maybe the majority of city driving may be reason behind this.

For me, even for tight city drives, would prefer a good HPS feel with bundled free work out for arms
Old 30th March 2010, 12:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Can somebody tell me what EXACTLY is steering feedback?
Old 30th March 2010, 12:55   #34
Senior - BHPian

Best: Lancer, Cedia, Mondeo, Fiesta, Ikon, Palio, Punto, Civic, M800 (direct feedback, no assist).
Decent: Swift, Polo
Worst: All Hyundais, accent was the worst.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 30th March 2010 at 13:00.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:01   #35
Team-BHP Support

Arun, have you driven an autorickshaw, bicycle, scooter or a bike? When you turn the handle to steer, it just turns. But in a car, when you turn the steering, there is a bit of resistance from the steering wheel (in most cars!). That is the steering feel. A good highway car will have higher resistance to your steering inputs.

Steering feedback is the feeling you get when your drive over gravel, sand, minor imperfections on a tarred road etc. You will know exactly what you are driving on, without visual help. The steering wheel basically talks to you, in its own language.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Smartcat for the clarification.

Another doubt:

Which is better in steering feel and feedback? Hydraulic power steering or EPS?

I have extensively driven so called "Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS)" of i10. I just hated it.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Feedback is the way by which a car communicates as to what is going on underneath the tyres, This becomes crucial when you are approaching the limit's of adhesion while taking a turn. Each car has a different limit, that too, various parameters affect that limit, the road surface, the banking on the road, the tyre, the condition of the tyre, the time of the day etc. But while almost on this limit, to know, whether you can turn more, or have to reduce, is guided by what the steering tells you.

For an enthusiast though, he sometimes looks for loosing grip, loss of grip is also something of importance, its the feedback that tells him whether he is being successful in his endeavour and when he initiates regaining of control, its the steering feedback that tells him whether he is actually progressively regaining it, or he has to do something differently.

A few days back on the Rajarhat first left turn, on a Tata Indica Vista Quadrajet, I was driving normally, had the intention of overtaking a concrete mixer before hitting the turn. Just at the turn (after having overtaken the speeding truck), while turning in, I found absolute zero feedback, I did not have a clue whether the car will take the turn or will skid. I could not slow down because there was the concrete mixer on my left. Anyway, I made the turn. Similar kind of a situation happenned on the same turn on a NHC and Hyundai Verna.

As the days progess we are seeing more of these newer cars offer less feedback. But then, you get used to the lower communication and adjust over time. Not much of an issue.

Having said that, steering feedback was the reason I chose the car that I bought.

Last edited by 1100D : 30th March 2010 at 13:25.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

1100D: What do you say about the Steering feedback of Our Favorite Fiat 1100?
Old 30th March 2010, 13:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
1100D: What do you say about the Steering feedback of Our Favorite Fiat 1100?
Fiat 1100D, if maintained properly offers excellent feedback. It was kind of the best of its time, moreover, there weren't many RWD cars that came after it. One of the reasons why Rally/Racers preferred it.

Very much dependent on the way the suspension components held up over time. Its very much sensitive to caster, camber and toe-in settings, also the condition of the steering box, rear leaves. But when they were new, all of them, were the best. Including the Standard heralds.

On cross ply tyres the car offered brilliant tail-out fun, it also told how by how much to correct the steering while oversteering. However, on my recent Goodyears, the car sticks to its line on tarmac. Dont have the heart to take it on Dirt.

Again feedback is completely different from limits of adhesion, so even if it sticks to its line, it offers enough feedback to say, when we will be loosing it.

Havn't tried a left-right swipe on this old car since long so wouldn't be able to say if it still can loose its tail and regain back as it used to on Ceat Safety Drives.

Last edited by 1100D : 30th March 2010 at 13:40.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:14   #40
BHPian

The 3 series prior to the facelifts and suspension changes has amazing steering feedback.

The NHC had terrible feedback. Sneezing at speeds post 60kph constantly had me worried about veering off the road
Old 30th March 2010, 14:19   #41
BHPian

Best : Cedia, Lancer, Fiesta, M 800, Fiat Palio, GP and Linea too

Worst: Hyundai Accent especially (horrible), Verna, SX4, NHC and ANHC

A few other cars I've heard about but haven't driven so did not include in best or worst.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:16   #42
BHPian

I am no expert on steering feedback, and I have not driven many cars. But in my opinion, on the highway, Maruti Esteem has good feedback. I quite enjoyed it. The worst, well i cant say for sure but Wagon-R would be a potential winner! Its steering is too darn light, like feather touch. Its excellent in city conditions however.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:32   #43
BHPian

Best - Maruti 800, Ikon, Fiesta, Swift
Worst - Safari, Scorpio, Santro, Wagon R, Verna, Alto.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

people mentioning non-PS old Zen having good feedback. waw that’s a news for me!

I have mostly driven wagon-r,zen,indica,M800 and Palio. Agree that Wagon-r has light steering! Palio undoubtedly the best!

PS: FIAT/FORD are drivers cars for sure!

@smartcat,

i remember seeing Palio pics on your travelogue. How was your experience with Palio?
Old 30th March 2010, 19:09   #45
Team-BHP Support

I would place the Palio in No. 3 position, after the Optra and the Fiesta.

I have driven the Fiesta 1.4 for 20 or 30 kms, and only in the city. Based on that experience, I would place it in No. 2 position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks