Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 19:30   #46
BHPian

From the cars I've driven in India
Best : Fiat Palio (well weighted steering - yet to drive a Ford though) I also like the Octi.
Worst: Wagon R (feedback, what is that?)

I hate the feel of EPS on most cars, but the HPS choices are fast diminishing.
Old 30th March 2010, 19:32   #47
BHPian

Best: Ikon, Esteem, Swift, Fiesta,
Worst: Verna, Scorpio, Bolero, 118NE
Old 30th March 2010, 19:37   #48
BHPian

A simple question, if the steering feel and feedback is gr8,can it qualify for being a drivers car?
Old 30th March 2010, 20:14   #49
BHPian

Fiat the best!

Amongst the cars I have driven my favorite is the FIAT UNO PETROL!
Though slightly on the harder side in parking speeds but it was a real gem in corners, you really feel in sync with the car. The faster you go the better it got. Close second is My 25 year old M800(SS80) its just amazing!

Amongst Sedans I liked the Baleno (with upgraded shoes) a lot. It felt really nice and well weighted. Ford Ikon Petrol was also really good, My friends Ikon 1.3 had no PS and I really loved it.

The worst I ever experienced was in a Santro with HPS, It really felt dead.

Non assisted Rack and Pinion Steering probably gives the best feedback.
I am really not convinced by EPS w.r.t Steering Feedback.

Steering Feedback is very important for a person who enjoys driving. For a practical city commuter car like alto/wr/Santro, this is probably not such a big criterion.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:10   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are my Personal Ratings:

Excellent: Ford Ikon, Fiat Linea/Punto, Ford Fiesta and Skoda Octavia

Good: Skoda Laura, Skoda Superb(EPS), Suzuki Swift,Honda Civic and Fiat Palio

BadTata Indica V2/Vista, Tata Safari, Hyundai Accent, Hyundai Santro and Toyota Corolla

Poor: Hyundai Verna, Hyundai i10, Hyundai i20, Mahindra Scorpio,Maruti WagonR, Maruti Estilo and Maruti Zen PS.

Poorest Possible: Mahindra Bolero
Old 30th March 2010, 21:22   #51
Team-BHP Support

From the cars that I have driven, best are Palio, Ford Ikon, Cedia, Lancer, Octavia...
I am not sure how to rate the Baleno because I was quite comfortable with it and driven over 50K kilometers. I think it was good but not in league of the Palio or Ikon.
The worst have to be Wagon R, Zen, Santro...
Old 30th March 2010, 21:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
You missed out Mahindra Xylo! Rate that too!
Old 30th March 2010, 21:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Excellent: Ford Ikon, Fiat Linea/Punto, Ford Fiesta and Skoda Octavia

Good: Skoda Laura, Skoda Superb(EPS), Suzuki Swift,Honda Civic and Fiat Palio

BadTata Indica V2/Vista, Tata Safari, Hyundai Accent, Hyundai Santro and Toyota Corolla

Poor: Hyundai Verna, Hyundai i10, Hyundai i20, Mahindra Scorpio,Maruti WagonR, Maruti Estilo and Maruti Zen PS.

Poorest Possible: Mahindra Bolero
The Bolero truly is ridiculous, I haven't driven the Sumo Grande, which is the only one that can possibly be as bad.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:26   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
You missed out Mahindra Xylo! Rate that too!
I have not driven the Mahindra Xylo.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

Good: Lancer, Ikon, Fiesta, Octavia, Palio, Cedia, Accord (haven't driven the last 2 generations, so dunno about them), Civic, Palio.
Amongst these, I would rate the Lancer highest, but the fact that I drive a Lancer with Michelin PP2 rubber and a sports suspension would definitely influence this decision. I used to drive a 96 Accord in the US, which provided excellent response and feedback in stock form.

Bad: Unfortunately, a vast majority of modern cars come with hyper light steering with practically no feedback. Examples:
Optra Magnum, Scorpio, Safari, NHC, i20, i10, Wagon R
I see many have rated the Santro amongst the worst, and I would agree. The Santro, with its stock (skinny) 155 mm tyres has an ultra light steering with minimal feedback. However, switch to grippier and wider rubber, and the equation changes.
I guess upgrading tyres would probably improve the steering feel of any car.

Last edited by razor4077 : 30th March 2010 at 21:38.
Old 30th March 2010, 22:32   #56
Team-BHP Support

.anshuman, how is the Elantra's steering?

Quote:
A simple question, if the steering feel and feedback is gr8,can it qualify for being a drivers car?
Not necessarily. Along with steering feel & feedback, a driver's car also needs to have a stonking engine and good chassis (handling prowess).

Quote:
Bad: Unfortunately, a vast majority of modern cars come with hyper light steering with practically no feedback. Examples: Optra Magnum
Is the steering system for the Magnum different from that of old Optra? I wonder if they have increased the steering assist because of heavier diesel engine upfront?
Old 30th March 2010, 22:54   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
.anshuman, how is the Elantra's steering?
Just Average, Better than Accent, Corolla and Magnum but Not as good as Civic. Not even close to Octavia.

Why? Because its Slow, needs more turns. It weighs up sufficiently at speed though and is much much better than newer gen Hyundai cars like Verna and i20.
Old 30th March 2010, 23:32   #58
BHPian

Best : Lancer,Cedia,Outlander,Fiat Palio even Fiat 1100 had a good steering feel inspite being a non ps.
Worst: Santro,i10.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:25   #59

Best: Maruti Baleno with a sports steering wheel (small). The previous owner had installed it. The balano felt file a small zippy car with that steering. However, I had to change it back to the original (provided by the previous owner) as the turn indicators would not automatically stop after turning the steering wheel and the steering grip had worn out and looked old. Somehow the older looked newer than the new (no pun intended).

Good: The Stock Steering still feels very good on the baleno and it may be partially because of the tyres I have. I use 175/70/R13. I had a zen for 6 years that had a pretty good feel as well.

The Worst I had was on a friend's Tempo Trax (9 seater). We did a Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar trip once in that truck and it had no feeling.... Infact I felt like I added a couple of inches to my bicepts after driving that up the ghats. But I guess, we are speaking about cars here and trucks dont qualify... but that would be my nominee for the worst.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:27   #60
Senior - BHPian

Amongst the cars I have driven

Best: Palio (I can tell the surface I am traversing eyes closed), Punto/Linea, Ford Ikon, Fiesta, OHC Type II (Go kart like direct and sharp)

Worst: Maruti WagonR, Estilo, Mahindra Scorpio, Santro, i20 (For a 21st century hatchback its poor)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks