Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2010, 22:37   #1
BHPian

Should there be an Indian Top Gear?

Well, Russia has Top Gear, Australia has Top Gear, America has Top Gear..so should India have a desi Top gear. I've got some ideas.

1) reasonably priced car should be either Nano or Autorickshaw
2) Challenges: Driving Supercars from one end of Mumbai to the other
Tune a 1980 HM Ambassador to lap as fast as a Skoda RS
Rover( Standard) memorial show
Bullock Cart Vs Human Rickshaw
3) Which political party is fastest. Congress Vs BJP driving Ambassadors

What say?
Old 31st October 2010, 22:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

absolutely right!!

why top gear when we have TEAM-BHP.

BTW most of the television shows & magazines deals (news, reviews & TD's ) only with top end products. they ignore most of the lower & middle range.

rgds,
Nikhil
Old 1st November 2010, 01:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pretty excellent idea. Would love a desi Top Gear show!

Top Gear became as famous as it is because of its edgy and slightly outrageous humour. I know that a lot of us in T-BHP appreciate that kind of humour.

What about the rest of the population? When our sense of humour deserts us, it invariably becomes a political issue.
Old 1st November 2010, 02:07   #4

Most Auto Related TV programs in India are formal and have no fun factor in them whatsoever. If there has to be a Indian top gear, there have to be three crazy PASSIONATE eccentric Bawajis who should host it. I guess it will have to be Me, Roni and Karl then.
Old 1st November 2010, 07:07   #5
BHPian

Seen some TimesDrive episodes that attempt to mirror TopGear, but have fallen miserably short. Doubt if India has motoring journos who can do justice to the precedent set by Clarkson, Hammond and May. And if the response to Taroor's "holy cow" tweet was any indicator of our national sense of humour, the show would be taken off air in a month.

However, I would love to see an India Challenge on Top Gear UK!
Simply love the Top Gear Specials. The Vietnam and Japan challenges are favourites.
Old 1st November 2010, 09:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

we have plenty of jokers in the Indian auto scene trying to emulate Top gear. A Independent top gear will have a tough time.
Old 1st November 2010, 10:54   #7
BHPian

Has anyone seen "Fifth Gear" show. I think its much better than "Top Gear". It is hosted by ex-Top Gear presenters and its quite cool.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

Now that's an idea!

But most car-related shows in India are drab and dreary. And Top Gear India might meet the same fate. But going by the rate of many International shows going the desi way (Master chef, Indian Idol, etc) it's quite possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Has anyone seen "Fifth Gear" show. I think its much better than "Top Gear". It is hosted by ex-Top Gear presenters and its quite cool.
Tiff and Vicky lack the zest that Clarkson, Hammond and May have. 5th Gear might be informative and all, but they lack the in-your-face-humor and entertainment that Top Gear has. And that's what makes TG so popular.

5th Gear is good. But it's no Top Gear.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

TG has some 15 episodes per year in 2 seasons. Not sure if such a short series will have an impact here. But if produced I hope it's presenters are more like TG than 5th gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Top Gear has some great presenters to keep the program entertaining. I find 5th gear is like Top Gear minus the humor - informative but boring.
Old 1st November 2010, 13:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Now that's an idea!

But most car-related shows in India are drab and dreary. And Top Gear India might meet the same fate. But going by the rate of many International shows going the desi way (Master chef, Indian Idol, etc) it's quite possible!

Tiff and Vicky lack the zest that Clarkson, Hammond and May have. 5th Gear might be informative and all, but they lack the in-your-face-humor and entertainment that Top Gear has. And that's what makes TG so popular.

5th Gear is good. But it's no Top Gear.
Most of the Indian car shows are drab to say the least! Pretty much all of them are at the same level, it actually makes Fifth gear seem like Top Gear!!

Oh and another thing. There are two people who I find irritating when it comes to car shows here. One is Renuka Kriplani from the Autocar Show. Now in fairness she is very knowledgeable and I respect her opinion. She clearly knows the in's and out of the car she is reviewing. But I HATE the boring drab way that she reads her lines!! I know she's not an actor by trade but for Gods sake, you're on TV!! Act like you care!! Put a little zing in your lines. Or hire new writers

But the true magnitude of my ire goes to the guy at the Car and Bike Show, Siddharth Vinayak Patanker. I seriously get a headache even thinking about this guy!! HE DRIVES ME NUTS!! The first thing is that he ad-libs everything! Ad-Libbing is only good if you have a clear idea of what you want to say. HE DOESNT!! He meanders from point to point and its like even he doesnt know where to start or end. He spends, I kid you not, anywhere from 5-10 min talking about the "Styling" of the car. Look, I'm a car nut and I'm studying design...and even I'm fed up!!

Go on youtube and search his videos. They actually disabled comments on his videos because of all the negative comments!! I dont care if its not like Top Gear, but at least make it funny and dynamic. Is it that hard?? Alright I'm gonna stop now cause' if I talk anymore about this guy I'm going to have a stroke.

My ideas for potential hosts are:

Saif Ali Khan
Cyrus Broacha
Raghu from Roadies
Mandira Bedi (c'mon she's funny!!)
Abhishek Bacchan
Old 1st November 2010, 13:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Pretty excellent idea. Would love a desi Top Gear show!

Top Gear became as famous as it is because of its edgy and slightly outrageous humour. I know that a lot of us in T-BHP appreciate that kind of humour.

What about the rest of the population? When our sense of humour deserts us, it invariably becomes a political issue.
Right, we dont want another Shashi Tharoor type controversy
Old 1st November 2010, 13:39   #12
BHPian

Here is my thought on the Indian version of TG
There will be a "celebrity's driver in a reasonably priced car, instead of star in a reasonably priced car", because in India most of the celebrities prefer to be on the passenger seat even if it's a two seater coupe

The COOL WALL will be there, but the rating will be how chill the A/C is
Old 1st November 2010, 13:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

It would be fun but the success of the show will depend a lot on the hosts. We will need some really funny and auto passionate guys but no "already famous and charging a bomb" celebrity. Rather some ex-racers with chutzpah who would wanting to create a different product. Cyrus Broacha built up the MTV Bakra brand and he can be an option but not sure how auto passionate he is.

I wouldn't want something like Master Chef India which is so horribly done compared to Master Chef Australia. The different is too palpable.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycardude198 View Post
But the true magnitude of my ire goes to the guy at the Car and Bike Show, Siddharth Vinayak Patanker. HE DRIVES ME NUTS!!
I agree 100%. He fails to cover most features of any car and keeps describing the styling for what seems like forever...
I change channels whenever he is on NDTV...
Old 1st November 2010, 15:32   #15
BHPian

Great thread and its nice too see a lot of us coming up with suggestions as to who the presenters should be.

A quick question for all of us here, who will be the Indian Stig?

What will his outfit be like?

Most Viewed