Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2005, 13:53   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
he he..that's what i thought too. It's a very stupid ad. Come to think of it, all Maruti ads running currently suck big time.

Also hate the USP catchword of the swift " YOu're the Fuel" - what the heck does MUL want to convey.

Maybe the Maruti folks should take a leaf out of the Tata ad dept.. look at the awesome Dicor advt and the previous indica adverts.
Talking about the Tata ads, even the earlier Indica ad was a bit too precocious for its own good. Remember, the one where some chini-eyed people (presumably Japs) used to bow at the end of the run of a few Indicas? Haa haaa haaaa... However the current Indica ad is just tooo good. I also liked the Sumo ad "Kuchh log Sumo chalate hain" where a grim and determined looking lady drives through the night roads. It actually makes you feel like it is meant for tough and resolved people.

Compared to these the Swift ad is really a bit of a hotch-podge to put it mildly

Last edited by Zappo : 14th December 2005 at 13:54.
Old 14th December 2005, 15:55   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
...but that doesnt mean that as soon as its a wet or slippery surface the brakes will not be applied...if you on such a surface and apply brakes on a non-abs car teh car will loose traction and the car will skid...but this will definitely not happen ina abs car...
I think we should separate the two issues. The skidding or slipping that happens during a locked wheels scenerio is due to the momentum of the vehicle and not due to the road surface condition. You can experience skidding due to locked wheels even in the most non-slippery surface. Simply put, the force of momentum is higher than force of friction.

Does ABS help in very slippery situations like Ice and snow? Yes, to retain control. Imagine this, say you are driving on black ice at 5Kmph, if you apply your non-ABS brakes, the wheels will lock since there is hardly any friction from the road, car keeps moving and steering control is lost. Have been in this situation few times, therefore I have learnt not to touch the brakes while on ice or snow. Same is true to a slightly lesser extent on snow since we get a little better traction on snow. If you have ABS in this situation, it starts pumping the brakes right away to avoid the wheel lockup. But the vehicle doesn't necessary slow down much since traction on ice is almost zero, but you retain steering control. In other words, ABS in extremely slippery conditions gives you better steering control, but no braking advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
and that brake pedal kicking back ...is the pumping of the brakes ...the brakes will be released as soon as the wheels loose grip..
When ABS activates at higher speeds, the pumping action is barely noticeable. But when activates at really low speeds, it literally pushes your foot back and makes big sound. I was wondering about that difference.
Old 14th December 2005, 16:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hmm I agree with the above mentioned points but not with what you posted earlier. Anyways lets just stick to the advert here, we should discuss about ABS in another thread
Old 14th December 2005, 21:41   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

i find the the new indica ad very nice,where a guy gets a punch for every lie.
Old 14th December 2005, 22:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai

When ABS activates at higher speeds, the pumping action is barely noticeable. But when activates at really low speeds, it literally pushes your foot back and makes big sound. I was wondering about that difference.
Samurai, the sole purpose of ABS is to stop the wheel from locking and skidding. When skidding you are actually not breaking. Prior to ABS PRO drivers were always told never to press the pedal to the ground while braking hard, as it would make the tyres lock, they were told to keep pumping the breaks so that the wheel doesnt lock and the car comes to a halt a lot quicklier than if it was skidding. With ABS we just automate this process, where the brake pedal gives you the feedback of releasing and pressing as its preventing the wheel from locking. This is more noticable at lower speeds when you brake hard, as thats when the tyre was most likely to lock. At higher speeds its not a big issue as tyres generally dont lock unless its emergency braking. Lastly, in snowy conditions, ABS are a miracle to have. Although ABS with traction control might make you feel that the car is not braking as soon as you want, and its traveling way beyond your intended braking point, but the ABS and traction control are preventing the car from skidding by not allowing the wheels to lock. So the end result is the car will brake in the least possible distance required, even though you might feel that it should brake before, but at that time computer takes over and does the best possible braking. If this was not a great technology, it wont make such a difference in countries where it snows. I think its a nice feature to have if you can afford it.
Old 14th December 2005, 22:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Lastly, in snowy conditions, ABS are a miracle to have. Although ABS with traction control might make you feel that the car is not braking as soon as you want, and its traveling way beyond your intended braking point, but the ABS and traction control are preventing the car from skidding by not allowing the wheels to lock. So the end result is the car will brake in the least possible distance required, even though you might feel that it should brake before, but at that time computer takes over and does the best possible braking. If this was not a great technology, it wont make such a difference in countries where it snows. I think its a nice feature to have if you can afford it.
Its quite the opposite...ABS increases braking distance on slippery surfaces. Take for example snowy conditions, if the tyres lock they tend to dig into the snow and provide that much needed friction to stop. But with ABS, the tyres are prevented from locking up and hence braking distance is increased.

Suggest you read up on ABS, there are a few threads on ABS or just google it, you'l find plenty of information.

Drifter
Old 14th December 2005, 23:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Back to the point

The advt sucks!

Alto advt is superb ( The song is cool)

Fiesta advt too is nice.
Old 15th December 2005, 00:29   #23

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well i think taht the ad is stupid...the punchline is ur the fuel...how does the ad convey that....plain and simple stupid..the best ad has definitely got to be the safaris....and the soundtrack of the ad.
Old 15th December 2005, 09:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Slightly OT

I have posted this thread on discussion for ABS related discussion:

Technical: The ABS discussion thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-thread.html
Old 15th December 2005, 09:40   #25
Team-BHP Support

Aseem, I am trying not to keep going off-topic. So, here is a quick one. I lived in New-Jersey close to 9 years and drove both non-ABS and ABS equipped cars, mostly the latter. As a result I learnt not to use brake at all if I am on ice or snow. Seen too many people sliding into the ditch while braking on ice/snow. Here is one exhibit I snapped while teaching my young colleague (new to driving) how to drive in snow. The crashed SUV had ABS for sure.
Old 15th December 2005, 16:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
What happned to Marutis good ads like M 800 in 2599.. That ad was good.. Esteem ad was good...

Err are you talking about the Esteem ad with the stupid girl talking to her father and screeching "my daddys biiiiiiiiiiiiig car" ? *rolls eyes*

Which as was the one where apparently you can save enough to buy an elephant ? man was it funny or what...

and yes the Safari ads are quite good...(the one with the animals all bug eyed as well as those 2 guys after the rollercoaster)

Alto ads are the better ones of all Maruti ads though....I recently saw an Omni ad (not seen here yet saw it in Kolkata though) - Disc brakes and radial tyres - "Nayi Naveli" Omni !!!
My god pathetic..its 2005 and they are advertising radials and discs...even most bikes have discs these days :\
Old 15th December 2005, 17:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

the new maruti exchange offer ad is good one.
Old 15th December 2005, 19:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Its quite the opposite...ABS increases braking distance on slippery surfaces.
Drifter
I too have an impression that this is the con side of ABS... and thats what makes it debatable, isn't it?
If ABS could always reduce the braking distance, then it wouldn't be questionable at all

technocrat's link was broken... now that gives me a moral right to post another ABS query in this thread
Old 15th December 2005, 23:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Since you have exercised your moral right to ask a question, i shall exercise my moral right to answer and lead you to the correct thread hehe.

Yup, ABS does have its downsides. Its primarily for retaining steering control during emergency braking. Reducing stopping distances comes as sort of a by-product. But it holds true only for grippy surfaces. On slippery surfaces, i'd rather keep it turned off.

Heres the correct thread, lets continue there.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-thread.html

Drifter
Old 15th December 2005, 23:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

I highly doubt that ABS would lead to greater braking distance in snowy surfaces. Its my opinion, I am sure if insurance companies thought ABS increases the breaking distance, they wont give price breaks to ABS equipped cars. In my case I lived in Michigan and had ABS equipped car with traction control, I thought it was helpful. Although I might not be technically aware as drifer. So thanks for englightenment!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks