Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2010, 00:09   #16
BHPian

I would not come to conclusions so quickly about hyundai selling unsafe vehicles in India.
However, I strongly hope that Hyundai proactively investigates this case thoroughly and find out if there is any technical defect/error from their part. I also wish that they do not manipulate the result of the investigation to save itself incase its their fault. If Hyundai does this, I am sure customers and potential customers will have more confidence that even if there is a fault, Hyundai will not shy away from issues and leave the customer stranded. It should only do its brand image a world of good in the long term
Old 14th November 2010, 00:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Hyundai's might have taken Indian customers for granted.

What a shame, Horrible to say.

Tire burst cannot burn down a car completely.

Quality control at question here.
Pavan, you're a Senior-BHPian and such bashing doesn't look good from your end. Even if it's a tyre burst, do we really know if the car was on stock tyres or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Im really sick of this nonsensical car bashing just because a car catches Fire. There are a million reasons a car can catch fire and almost all of those are because people DO NOT ADHERE TO THE GUIDELINES THAT A MANUFACTURERS SET. And this includes most of you guys too. So get a life!
Cyrus, I support your views. I don't expect BHPians bashing up a car like this, that's Media's job not ours.
Old 14th November 2010, 01:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

As an i20 owner, I am watching this thread closely..

Hope the occupants of the vehicle are OK.
Old 14th November 2010, 08:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ferraris catch fire too

It is obviously too early to say anything. Man if Ferraris can catch fire we can very well digest one i20. But still it should be interesting to know whether the fire was due to manufacturing fault. If it was then "we cannot let it go past as one off incident". It is easy to say that only 4 (dont know the exact figure) nanos caught fire out of thousands but think about the owners of those cars. Think about the owner of this i20. Well he must be terrified (**provided he hadn't done some stupid MODS). So I hope it was not a manufacturing defect.
Old 14th November 2010, 10:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

One off incident I must say. i20 is a safe car. I suspect that some modifications done on the owner end might be the cause.

I have first hand experience of it. I installed some fancy alarm system on my Pulsar. And the job was not done properly. The wires were cut and what not. I faced situations like alarm going off while I was doing good speeds and what not. Later it was responsible for a blown up electricals.
Old 14th November 2010, 10:01   #21
BHPian

I have personally seen a Ford Fiesta burn to ashes in a matter of minutes (I have seen the post on team-bhp too). Does this mean that its a bad car? Looking at the no of fiestas on road doesnt seem like people think so.

We should understand that it is an Internal Combustion Engine, so there is fire and lotsa heat involved in any vehicle and the reason to catch fire are many besides 99% cars run on fuel which is volatile and is subject to many harsh conditions.
Old 14th November 2010, 10:29   #22
BHPian

Going by the connections that Hyundai has in the city of Chennai, any incident in Tamilnadu is either not reported or brushed under the carpet. An earlier incident related to 3 people getting killed in a Santro due to engine fumes entering AC was quickly covered up by the city's leading newspaper and Hyundai immediately gifted Chennai police 100 accents for their patroling activities. Moreover, Hyundai is looked upon as an employement generator for that city. But this new incident reported is in Kolkota. But which is the authority other than the police that checks these incidents and follows them up? Does any one know?

Last edited by sridhga : 14th November 2010 at 10:31.
Old 14th November 2010, 10:37   #23
mgh
BHPian

Haven't we seen Formula One cars catch fire this season? They are some of the safest cars in the world, as shown by the fact that nothing happened to Webber after that horrrible crash where his car was thrown up high in the air.
Old 14th November 2010, 12:03   #24
BHPian

Last month my neighbours six month Swift Dzire burnt down in front of his eyes. He came back from a trip parked it outside and was having lunch. Hearing the commotion he came and saw his car burning. Tried throwing water etc but of no use. The local Maruti dealer came down 'investigated' and concluded that it was a burning cigarette stud within 20 minutes although he is a non-smoker.

He is not interested in making an issue out of it. Will claim insurance and move on with a non-Maruti brand. The fact that he is highly educated and financially sound also helps.

The point is unlike the Nano owners there were no media, no live coverage, no analysis by auto pundits, nothing! This should be mentioned in the Nano brochure as one of the unique ownership experiences which a Nano owner will get!

@Pancham Thanks for starting a thread on a non-Tata brand. This perhaps will convince a few that burning of cars is not as rare as it sounds.
Old 14th November 2010, 12:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has sold 2.5 Lakh i20's since they started manufacturing the car at Chennai (including exports). None of these cars have reported any such issue, barring this one. Hyundai is a reputed and well established brand and this definitely is a one off case.
Old 14th November 2010, 12:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Hyundai is a reputed and well established brand and this definitely is a one off case.
Agreed, but Hyundai should investigate this case in depth and publish their findings.

More often than not, it is bad installation of Accessories which causes such accidents, but they must make sure the issue is not with the car ..
Old 14th November 2010, 12:30   #27
Team-BHP Support

Did anybody get hurt in this incident?
Old 14th November 2010, 13:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Hyundai's might have taken Indian customers for granted.

What a shame, Horrible to say.

Tire burst cannot burn down a car completely.

Quality control at question here.
Mr Pavan Kadam, a bit quick off the mark here to blame Hyundai for the incident, don't you think?? Are we being brand-biased here or what?

Expecting more objectivity here, if we all please!
Old 14th November 2010, 13:33   #29
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's Note: Please report this post if anyone has some concrete info on the incident. Till then, thread closed. Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks