Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is Build Quality to you?
Supreme Reliability 369 67.46%
The "Thud" 178 32.54%
Voters: 547. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2018, 19:50   #196
BHPian

Re: Your definition of Build Quality

For me, Reliability comes with the good quality construction and also the perfectly tolerated fabrications, a poor tolerance in mechanical parts might create squeaks on a little long run, which intern loses the safety (i.e.) low quality tin sheets

The tin sheets quality here is not the lower gauge or higher gauge, its about what kind of steel it is.
Old 20th June 2018, 17:54   #197
BHPian

Do we need a Build Quality decoder?

In the light of other threads (especially the one about the Baleno Tin Can), it got me thinking whether we need to somehow have a deeper understanding of the build quality of vehicles sold.

Even a few years back, the stress on airbags and ABS on cars weren't as big. But with that being a big influencer now, almost all cars come with dual airbags and ABS as standard. Some even come with a few more.

But just the presence of airbags alone doesn't cut it. If you are comparing the Dzire and the Amaze - how would you make the decision about build quality apart from just making relationships with brands.

Also, manufacturers have these images on their website revealing the construction.

This one is Amaze's ACE body structure.
Your definition of Build Quality-161223.jpg

This one is Dzire's HEARTECT.

Your definition of Build Quality-161224.jpg

We need a 3rd engineering eye that can help understand which is better staying neutral to brand influences.

Mods - please add to relevant thread if required. I thought i should put it in Road Safety, but it might be

Also, please add better images if you find them

Last edited by Aditya : 21st June 2018 at 11:55. Reason: Please upload images as attachments only
Old 21st June 2018, 11:43   #198
BHPian

With a flood of new launches and cars coming in, how can a buyer check if the car is a safe one or not? Should we consider the build quality, sheet metal thickness or the safety equipment onboard? Are the photos of new swifts and dzires circulating in social media present a scary picture of the car's safety? Should informed buyers avoid light build cars? Need this forum's view on this topic
Old 21st June 2018, 12:24   #199
BHPian

I have following suggestions rather than answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
With a flood of new launches and cars coming in, how can a buyer check if the car is a safe one or not?
If your car is a internationally launched/available model and not just India specific (most of our cars are international models) please search for safety ratings, crash test reports. e.g. Euro NCAP rating.

This can only give some comfort as India version could be stripped down.

Quote:
Should we consider the build quality, sheet metal thickness or the safety equipment onboard?
You may not have access to all the data. Moreover the data alone cannot confirm the car safety. for e.g. metal thickness alone cannot determine the build quality or safety. Its better to rely on experts reviews, road test including Team-BHP official reviews.

Quote:
Are the photos of new swifts and dzires circulating in social media present a scary picture of the car's safety?
Not really. Remember accidents can happen to any car. Swifts and Dzires are highest selling in their category and some negative news will always be there. Learn from them but don't expect same things to happen to you.

Quote:
Should informed buyers avoid light build cars?
All Japanese cars are light build but Toyota is one of largest car manufacturer in the world. In fact it was number 1 in 2015.

Last edited by Wanderers : 21st June 2018 at 12:27.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 17:55   #200
BHPian

Your definition of Build Quality

IMHO The Build quality and the reliability on a vehicle is purely based on the experiences of the vehicles on a given geography (or say road conditions).

Had an incident recently, wherein a grown up calf jumped from the right side over bridge - straight on to my Jazz*. The chap landed his two legs on the bonnet and with some (im) balancing got into the front. The material impact is shown in the pic.
Your definition of Build Quality-img_2289.jpg

Your definition of Build Quality-img_2291.jpg

At a 70km speed, with a sudden fall of something onto you, the machine did not behave anything bad. I slowed, stopped, cooled and continued to drive. It sailed through peacefully.

That is exactly, what you expect from the machine makers.

PS1 - The incident happened in a NH32 (between paranur & singaperumal koil) where one side is elevated. Without proper fencing on the elevated side, the probability of stray animals falling/jumping into the other side of the road is very high !
PS2 - The reaction of passengers (excluding me) - 3 adults & a child) is a mild shock due to the 'Thud' effect !.
But were all smiling to see the animal walking on his own. As a driver, such smiling faces are very important to me.

Last edited by gjiyap1 : 25th June 2018 at 18:20. Reason: attachments
gjiyap1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 14:54   #201
BANNED

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4424476

Informative stuff about Heartect platform of Suzuki. How it achieves better rigidity, safety, handling etc despite around 15% lower weight.
Old 5th July 2018, 15:33   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Build Quality is sheer operational reliability combined with an adequate set of safety features for that price point. Seat belts, air bags, crumple zones, ABS, structural strength all very important in that order if I am compelled to force rank. Judging safety & build by the thud of the door is like judging an apartment by the front door literally and metaphorically.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 18:34   #203
BANNED

Build quality is the way the entire car has been put together. The sheet metal and plastics are part of the form and fit of the car, while the mechanical, electrical and electronics in the car are the real function elements. Thicker sheet metal does not necessarily imply that the car is soundly built or safer; and soft feel interiors are cosmetics. A real well built car is the one that has utterly reliable machinery. The Toyotas, Hondas and even the Maruti products come to my mind immediately. I say this from the experience of owning a Laura and a Fabia.
Old 5th July 2018, 18:44   #204
Senior - BHPian

Thin cars always find it hard to stay dent free, hence I would choose think sheet metal car over thin one given both have similar safety features/ratings! Japanese car in our garage has too many dents, considering how safely it was driven! German car which was trashed had double the mileage on the odo and half the scars. Body repair and repaint is expensive.

one of the Japanese cars had a huge dent on the door and the owner(friend of mine) was asked to replace the entire door since sheet metal was too thin to work on
Old 5th July 2018, 19:10   #205
BHPian

An Indian You Tube video that is relevant to the discussion. My apologies in case its been posted earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=build+quality
Old 5th July 2018, 19:28   #206
Senior - BHPian

Coming to the thud of doors that people usually talk about, I sit in my neighbour's City and operate the doors. When the doors are closed there is some sureness about how it closes. It is 6 years old and behaves the same all the time. My Vento might give thud but that perfect locking in is not there.

I think there is some perfection that is evident in City even though the metal might not be a heavy gauge one.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 21:02   #207
Senior - BHPian

To me build quality is all about not letting me stranded in the middle of nowhere

Reliability is important over the door thuds and minor rattles are ok compared to parts failing for no reason.

Another factor is the time taken for servicing. I expect my car to be delivered back on same day as against waiting for the parts to arrive

Last edited by rajshenoy : 5th July 2018 at 21:04.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 21:34   #208
BHPian

I would like to define the build quality as combination of the following values:

1. Overall reliability of the vehicle in terms of number of failures/break downs experienced, parts replacement intervals may be long or short but we should never get stranded on road because of unpredictable failures. Also, ability to take at least some abuse and rattle free experience even after crossing 1 Lakh kms are important factors.

2. Crash safety: strength of the body shell, adequate safety features, ability to absorb impact energies during crash to keep the occupants as safe as possible.

Neither option in the poll shows the above said idea completely but if i have to choose, i will go with the 'Thud'!
Old 10th July 2018, 10:46   #209
BHPian

Let me put put my experiences with my cars and explain build quality and reliability.

We have both Japanese and European cars in our Garage, European cars visit more times to garage for some small niggles n compared to Japanese. So I call them as less reliable. But on the other side, in case of an accident, Japanese will eat on to your pocket and the impact will be too much.

I had a Palio and it went on head on with an Autorikshaw in a decent speed (At around 40 KMPH). The Auto's front was completely damaged and Palio had some scratches on the front Bumper, that was all. (The bumper went inside with the impact, but we could able to push it out ).

On the other side, One Cycle fellow lost his control and rear ended on our Honda city, which was stationery (The Honda City was 2nd Generation and 2004 Jan Manufactured ), With the impact the boot also damaged and we had to pay around 25K from our pocket on top of insurance for repairing the damages. So with my experiences I would say, Palio has a better build quality and Honda City is more reliable.
Old 11th June 2022, 16:52   #210
BHPian

I am picking an old thread which I think has become more relevant than ever today.
The Europeans have lost the "thud." The Koreans have cut corners in their basic structure. The Japs are losing weight with each generation, as if to redefine "zero figure".
Only our Desi brands have taken the initiative to re-define build quality.
I can't vote, but if I had to choose a side, I couldn't. I mean, why can't we have both? Why can't super reliable Hyundai or Toyota give us "thuds" as well? Of course, it will cost a bit more, but we are already paying 21 big ones for a creta. Take one more and give us that solid thud and those 5 stars.

In my opinion, build quality has two must-haves.

1.Build to last, with the solid feel of... "the thud".
2.Build to purpose, with the use of ULSS as required in order to secure 5 star crash worthiness.

*Is "superior reliability" the same as build quality? I am not sure.
Just my 2 cents!
Indepth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks