Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 17:25   #1
BHPian

How to Identify good petrol pumps on Highway or in new Cities

Mods: Cant find a similar topic. Hence started new thread.
Also not sure about the forum. Could be moved under 'Route Queries' also.

When we travel long distances, how do you identify good fueling station?
Lets say we are touring, and we are probably on the last quarter of the fuel tank. Which fuel station will you stop? At the first pump or will you use any criteria to choose? How do you ensure adulterated fuel is not used.

I am basically using looking at techniques for identifying good pumps for one time usage.

NOTE: Please exclude suggestions for Shell pumps. Lets assume that the area doesnt have Shell pumps.
druva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2010, 17:35   #2
BHPian

Re: How to Identify good petrol pumps on Highway or in new Cities

Thats a good topic and I am also interested to know the suggestions from veterans.

What I normally do is if I see a company owned pump, I will look no further. Otherwise I go just by the look and feel. When I see more cars in some pump, I go there. When I see mostly trucks, I tend to avoid it.
Old 15th December 2010, 17:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Direct company-owned bunks are the best bet.
Old 15th December 2010, 17:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

We typically see Indianoil or HP pumps on the highways how to identify that these are company owned or some dealership pumps ?

So far i never had to stop on highways to fill up, and in cities i follow the crowd
Old 15th December 2010, 17:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
We typically see Indianoil or HP pumps on the highways how to identify that these are company owned or some dealership pumps ?

So far i never had to stop on highways to fill up, and in cities i follow the crowd
If its a company owned, it will be displayed in some huge hoarding which cannot be missed.
Old 15th December 2010, 17:56   #6
Team-BHP Support

I go to the biggest bunker I spot and avoid small ones like plague.

BP Ghar is the company owned one as IOCL Jubilee.
Old 15th December 2010, 18:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well one sureshot way of identifying the company owned bunks is look for Motels attached with the bunks.
Only company owned bunks usually have Motels attached with it, private people wanting to own a bunk would not normally diversify into restaurant motel business income. Also it works out costly for them,.
Old 15th December 2010, 18:21   #8
Team-BHP Support

This might not be a sure-shot method, but can be used as a good indicator in most places, esp. North and Central India (haven't traveled much by road down South).

If a pump is company-owned, it would generally not have a separate name (XYZ Fuel/Service Station etc). There would just be the company's logo/hoarding tp identify it.

Privately owned pumps will have a name inscribed on the bunk (the room that houses the office and lube shop), and the logo would be added to identify which company they're contracted to.
Old 15th December 2010, 19:24   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

A good bunk is well patronized.

A good petrol bunk will be well patronised. It is easier for diesel, because of the trucks. Just try to see how many trucks are around.

I'm not sure for petrol, and I dont think the number of two-wheelers will help you identify the quality of the fuel in the bunk.

Classic example : Konduskar's, in Kolhapur. The bunk that was for a long time the biggest retail outlet for diesel in India.

Reliance bunks would be a safe bet. I have also tried a MRPL bunk, and found it good enough. MRPL may be available only in Karnataka.

Last edited by condor : 15th December 2010 at 19:33. Reason: Adding : Reliance & MRPL
Old 15th December 2010, 19:26   #10
BHPian

Company owned and company operated outlets are like any other outlet, firstly company owned outlets are let out to a person appointed by the company like BP, IOCL and HP on an annual basis. This person is not an employee of these oil companies. He is like us, I mean has sales targets to meet, has performance rating and is also responsible for personnel management of the specific outlet.

So any BP Ghar or IOCL jubilee can be run or owned by anyone selected by the respective oil companies. Lastly I am a part of one of these oil companies, so you can trust the sentences above.

Last edited by narchennai : 15th December 2010 at 19:27.
narchennai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2010, 19:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narchennai View Post
Company owned and company operated outlets are like any other outlet, firstly company owned outlets are let out to a person appointed by the company like BP, IOCL and HP on an annual basis. This person is not an employee of these oil companies. He is like us, I mean has sales targets to meet, has performance rating and is also responsible for personnel management of the specific outlet.

So any BP Ghar or IOCL jubilee can be run or owned by anyone selected by the respective oil companies. Lastly I am a part of one of these oil companies, so you can trust the sentences above.
So does it mean that the fuel quality is no better than the usual retail outlets
Old 15th December 2010, 22:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narchennai View Post

narchennai is right. These company owned pumps are let out to third parties on a contract basis. I heard this from an attendant at one of the company owned pumps.
Old 15th December 2010, 22:52   #13
BHPian

Adulterated or Contaminated fuel

There are various points to consider a good bunk for fuel. Old bunk tend to build up corrosion in tanks and these contaminate the fuel. But that doesnt travel through the piping to the dispensing point, there are filters set up all along to ensure that the fuel is turbid-free. But keep in mind these filters try to purify a already contaminated fuel stored in rusty tanks.

Also adulteration is not possible today, thanks to all technology available from bottling plant to petrol bunk. Adulteration is a costly job nowadays.

So the safest way is to opt for a newly commissioned petrol bunk on the highway, because the owner is new to learn about adulterating and the tanks are new to get rusted, but even in such bunks it might get contaminated while being transported in lorry.
Old 15th December 2010, 23:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

My preferences:

- COCOs (company owned pumps)
- BPCL Ghars + Club HPs
- Prefer Pumps frequented by trucks, Avoid those where there are lost of 2-wheelers & tractors
- No IBPs & Essars
- Like Reliance pumps
- Don't like Shell pumps
- Like new pumps, with clean toilets (those are preferred)
- Avoid pumps inside small towns (where there are no bypasses)
- Like Pumps with credit card facilities

....and stand by checking on fuel quality when refuelling is on. I stop refuelling if I suspect quality of fuel.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2010, 23:27   #15
BHPian

In cities that I am new to - I simply check where there are many autos. Reason is that they are far more sensitive to fuel adultration and quantities than an average car owner. Therefore, chances of any deviations are lesser (not saying it wont happen!) at these bunks.

On a highway - as its been said already, try to stick with BP Ghar. If not the next will be the ones that are large/clean/new/has toilets/accepts cards. Personally, I avoid going to Reliance. No strong reasoning though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks