Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2011, 17:05   #1
BHPian

Avis now offering self-driven SUVs : EDIT : Now DISCONTINUED

Got this in the email a couple of days ago.

Seems like an interesting option especially for those who live in the southern part of India and want to drive to Ladakh or the North East without taking (driving or transporting) their cars all the way up from the southern states.

Avis now offering self-driven SUVs  : EDIT : Now DISCONTINUED-avissuv.jpg

The website of AVIS
Kairalee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2011, 17:24   #2
BHPian

re: Avis now offering self-driven SUVs : EDIT : Now DISCONTINUED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
Got this in the email a couple of days ago.

Seems like an interesting option especially for those who live in the southern part of India and want to drive to Ladakh or the North East without taking (driving or transporting) their cars all the way up from the southern states.

The website of AVIS
Wow!! How come AVIS rates dropped so lo? The last time I checked they were quoting exorbitant rates in India.But nice info Kairalee. I was actually deciding whether to put my Safari through such a torture when I visit Ladakh and your thread popped out the alternative.
Old 26th January 2011, 17:28   #3
BHPian

As per their website, the offer is vaild till 31 March so maybe the prices may go back to earlier days after that.
Old 26th January 2011, 17:38   #4
BHPian

I wonder if this rate per day is for a limited number of kilometers ... can anyone clarify ? (Edited : Unlimited km)

It may also require you to rent the vehicle for a minimum number of days ? (Edited : no evidence of this)

Lastly, are the vehicles all 4x4s ? Or does one have to pay more for 4x4 ? (Edited : the site doesn't say)

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Edit : Went to the website. Details against my own questions above.

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 26th January 2011 at 17:47.
Old 26th January 2011, 18:20   #5
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
Lastly, are the vehicles all 4x4s ? Or does one have to pay more for 4x4 ? (Edited : the site doesn't say)
Atleast Pajero comes with only 4x4.
Old 26th January 2011, 19:59   #6
BANNED

Add 1000/- for petrol per day to the daily rental cost and that's a staggering 30K for 10 days. Food and Acommodation extra!

Cheers
Old 27th January 2011, 04:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ragul, considering that Palio 1.2s are hireable for 1500rs/day on the weekend (1000 otherwise) in Bengaluru, a Pajero for 2500/day is a SMASHING price.

Looks interesting!
Old 27th January 2011, 05:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Indeed it is...esp if you share with 3 other people. How many days to you need to do a nice vacation from Delhi to Rothang and back? what does the fine print say about kms.

Would be nice to rent from CHD.
Old 27th January 2011, 10:40   #9
BHPian

How does the insurance work? If you compare to US rates 45/55 USD for a SUV is ok. Offcourse not necessarily great offer.
10 days trip = 25000 INR for rent
Average 750 INR per day for fuel = 7500 INR
Lets limit to 5 passengers only so per head cost is 32500 / 5 = 6500 INR for travel alone.
Offcourse the adventure experience of self driven SUV in Himalayas is priceless.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
I wonder if this rate per day is for a limited number of kilometers ... can anyone clarify ? (Edited : Unlimited km)

It may also require you to rent the vehicle for a minimum number of days ? (Edited : no evidence of this)

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Edit : Went to the website. Details against my own questions above.
Just spoke to the Avis guys. Apparently, no limit on kms but need to hire for a minimum of 2 days. However, the lady who answered the call is not very knowledgable on this it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Atleast Pajero comes with only 4x4.
All vehicles they have are 4x4s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Add 1000/- for petrol per day to the daily rental cost and that's a staggering 30K for 10 days. Food and Acommodation extra!

Cheers
If costs are shared, it may not be that staggering for the love of adventure and driving yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Indeed it is...esp if you share with 3 other people. How many days to you need to do a nice vacation from Delhi to Rothang and back? what does the fine print say about kms.

Would be nice to rent from CHD.
+1. Maybe around 12-15 days is ideal for a delhi-sringar-drass-kargil-leh-manali-delhi trip. They dont have a kms limit, just number of days. i.e. minimum 2 days hire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
How does the insurance work? If you compare to US rates 45/55 USD for a SUV is ok. Offcourse not necessarily great offer.
Lets limit to 5 passengers only so per head cost is 32500 / 5 = 6500 INR for travel alone.
Offcourse the adventure experience of self driven SUV in Himalayas is priceless.
+1. I didnt ask about the insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Ragul, considering that Palio 1.2s are hireable for 1500rs/day on the weekend (1000 otherwise) in Bengaluru, a Pajero for 2500/day is a SMASHING price.

Looks interesting!
Absolutely..especially if the hire and fuel costs are shared among 4-5 people.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Man ... Rs 6500 per head for 10 days is dam cheap i will say. That too in car like pajero. It will be very nice option for guys in South & Maharashtra. For us coming all the way there with our own car is not possible due to time constraints. Also for guys like me who dont own a SUV, thats a great deal.

Can anyone post all the details? It will be really helpful to all. I can plan my trip to North then with my friends .. That too in self driven Pajero !!!
Old 27th January 2011, 13:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Man ... Rs 6500 per head for 10 days is dam cheap i will say. That too in car like pajero. It will be very nice option for guys in South & Maharashtra. For us coming all the way there with our own car is not possible due to time constraints. Also for guys like me who dont own a SUV, thats a great deal.

Can anyone post all the details? It will be really helpful to all. I can plan my trip to North then with my friends .. That too in self driven Pajero !!!
@aniketi - The only way to get details would be to call Avis...I doubt anyone here has all the details over and above what is already posted in this thread. If anyone is seriously planning to hire the SUVs in the near future and is going to call them up for more details, please post them here too for the benefit of the others.
Old 27th January 2011, 14:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sent inquiry to Avis & got below reply ...

Please find below the rates for Self Drive Ford Endeavour & Tata Safari & Mitsubishi Pajero in Delhi as per your request. Also please note that are no multiple choices for the car
Ford Endeavour
Basic Rate: - INR 2500/-
Collision Damage Waiver: - INR 300/-
Theft Protection: - INR 300/-
Service Tax as applicable +VAT (In Delhi)
The per day will be INR 3806/- (all inclusive)
All these vehicles have commercial number plates and are registered for self drive. All cars are comprehensively insured and have a valid Rent a Cab license
Rates are inclusive of Unlimited Mileage.
Non-Waivable Excess: INR 50000/-
This amount will be blocked on the credit card prior to the rental and would be released once the car is returned without any damage.

Tata Safari
Basic Rate:- INR 2000/-
Collision Damage Waiver: - INR 300/-
Theft Protection: - INR 300/-

The per day will be INR 3192/- (all inclusive)

All these vehicles have commercial number plates and are registered for self drive. All cars are comprehensively insured and have a valid Rent a Cab license

Non-Waivable Excess: INR 30000/-
This amount will be blocked on the credit card prior to the rental and would be released once the car is returned without any damage.

Mitsubishi Pajero
Basic Rate: - INR 2500/-
Collision Damage Waiver: - INR 500/-
Theft Protection: - INR 500/-

Service Tax as applicable + VAT (In Delhi)

Per day rate in Delhi will be 4300/-

Non-Waivable Excess: INR 50000/-
This amount will be blocked on the credit card prior to the rental and would be released once the car is returned without any damage

Little more costly than we thought :( But still workable ...

Last edited by aniketi : 27th January 2011 at 14:58.
Old 27th January 2011, 16:56   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Decent pricing for those who want to do 400 - 500+ kms per day. On the other hand, for those travelling only 200 kms a day, you could get a vehicle + driver + fuel for the same money (or less).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
I was actually deciding whether to put my Safari through such a torture when I visit Ladakh and your thread popped out the alternative.
Good point. If you want to "preserve" your own vehicle, it's probably better to rough it out in a rental.
Old 27th January 2011, 17:09   #15
BHPian

This is very nice. The AVIS site does not elaborate much though. Are there other people who rent a vehicle for self drive?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks