Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Have you driven a non Demo vehicle.
Yes, I have and its not my fault and the dealer should take care. 42 27.27%
No, I have not come across such a vehicle 60 38.96%
I have driven but will ensure I dont do it in the future. 28 18.18%
No, I have refused to drive such a vehicle. 24 15.58%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2006, 18:04   #31
BHPian

My TD experiences:

1> Deccan Honda Pune: Proper test car (NHC Zx GXI) with clear markings, pune registered.
2> Ford Pune: A Fiesta which was ready for the delevery the same evening.
3> Sai Service (Maruti) Mumbai: Properly marked Test car (Baleno)
4> Kothari Hyundai Pune & Shreenath Hyundai Mumbai: Tested r Elantra, both were some 1 year old and 20,000 and 9000 KM on odo resp.
5> Talera GM Pune : Optra 1.6 LS ready for the delevery the same evening.
6> Unique GM Kolhapur: Optra 1.6 Royale ready for the delevery in 2-3 days. And the sales person was calling half a dozen prospective buyer to come and take a test drive before it is delivered !!!
7> Chougule Maruti Sangli: Baleno Vxi ready for the delevery the next day.
8> Linkway Honda Mumbai: Proper test car (NHC Zx GXI)with clear markings.
9> Pandit Automotive (Tata) Sangli: Indigo ready for the delevery the next day.

Last edited by vipulG : 10th February 2006 at 18:05.
Old 10th February 2006, 19:42   #32
BHPian

The thumb rule that i use in such situations is -

"If the dealer is cheating other customers to get your business, he can cheat on you too to get more business."

So, it makes sense to stay away from such dealerships period.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:10   #33
BHPian

TD vehicles being sold to unsuspecting owners.How can you avoid this

We have seen lots of cases in which people would have seen disconnected odo on a TD vehicle, and there is every chance that this vehicle might be sold to a unsuspecting owner.
Now, how can TBHP contribute to control this.? With more than 30000 members, I do believe, we can take some steps in bringing this to light.
All depends on how far we are ready to help our fellow men when coming to buying a "new" vehicle.
What I would suggest is, when ever one goes for a TD of any vehicle, please make it a point to note down the engine/chasis nos of the TD vehicles and then send this info to a designated member in TBHP who updates a shared doc with this info.
When ever some one decides to make a purchase, he can refer this doc to see whether anyone had used the same vehicle for a TD or whether it is a genuine new vehicle..
I know, this info will be too small to start with, but as time goes by, I am sure we will have a good database for all those lined up for vehicle purchase in the future.
Let us make this planet a better place for all those new owners !!!!
Old 7th October 2008, 11:51   #34
BHPian

Nice thoguht mate and good way to start-off.
I am not too sure if we would get to know the engine\chassis number before taking the vehicle. On the day of delivery, if we happen to realise that the vehicle was indeed used for TDs how can we avoid it and ask for a replacement?
Old 7th October 2008, 13:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

HI,

The intentions are nice.

Why not refuse a TD in a car with ODO disconnected?

But, there will be hardly any TD cars then!
Old 7th October 2008, 13:12   #36
BHPian

But is it really happening? i thought they will sell off their TD vehicle at a discounted price later or it will be branded as a demo vehicle or use it as an onroad service vehicle.
Old 7th October 2008, 13:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

First what we need to do is to stop doing TD of a non-TD vehicle.

Most of the dealers now have the "Demo" decals on their TD vehicles. The two times I went for a TD of the Safari (in Bangalore & Trichy) and also what I noticed in Trichy. I even noticed a M800 having a 'Demo' sticker on it!

On checking why this sudden realization, was told that the dealership people themselves were mis-using the demo vehicles and hence this measure from the management. Good for us!

Getting the chassis number of an un-marked TD vehicle - do not know how feasible it is?
Old 7th October 2008, 14:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansidea View Post
But is it really happening? i thought they will sell off their TD vehicle at a discounted price later or it will be branded as a demo vehicle or use it as an onroad service vehicle.
Let me keep the vehicle under wraps and narrate my story. I called for a TD a few days back and was given a brand new vehicle which was just outta the container/truck.

Odo had only 8kms(distance from the dealership to my office) on it and it was disconnected right in front of me by a mechanic who had accompanied the sales executive.
Like a noob I asked him why is this being done, isn't this a TD vehicle. Reply was no Saar this vehicle needs to be delivered to a customer tomorrow. We cant deliver it with more than 15kms on the Odo( this must be the distance from the dealership to the RTO) .

My next obv' question, what about the TD vehicle then ? he says Saar full of problems and needs a good service to fix it up. Customers generally wont like it if we took a car full of rattles and issues.

Well I TD'ed the vehicle with utmost care coz I dint want someone(the buyer) else to suffer and gave the Sales Exec' some gyan. I know it wouldnt do any wonders but then my 2 paise to him.
Old 7th October 2008, 14:07   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

Well I TD'ed the vehicle with utmost care coz I dint want someone(the buyer) else to suffer and gave the Sales Exec' some gyan. I know it wouldnt do any wonders but then my 2 paise to him.
No offence.
While I am so happy with your concern for an unknown buyer, my question is:

what was the purpose of the TD.

You might as well have returned the car and lodged a complaint against the dealer.
Old 7th October 2008, 14:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You might as well have returned the car and lodged a complaint against the dealer.
I also feel the same. Also, there is no need to hide the identity of this dealer because other potential buyers can be more watchful about this particular dealer.
Old 7th October 2008, 14:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Let me keep the vehicle under wraps and narrate my story. I called for a TD a few days back and was given a brand new vehicle which was just outta the container/truck.

Odo had only 8kms(distance from the dealership to my office) on it and it was disconnected right in front of me by a mechanic who had accompanied the sales executive.
Like a noob I asked him why is this being done, isn't this a TD vehicle. Reply was no Saar this vehicle needs to be delivered to a customer tomorrow. We cant deliver it with more than 15kms on the Odo( this must be the distance from the dealership to the RTO) .

My next obv' question, what about the TD vehicle then ? he says Saar full of problems and needs a good service to fix it up. Customers generally wont like it if we took a car full of rattles and issues.

I had a similar experience when i test drove the new SX4 ZXi, i was told that the vehicle was to be delivered that evening. I still TD it albeit with a little more concern. As usual the ODO was disconnected.

@bblost... do we really need to be buying immediately after test driving a vehicle ? Or do we need a reason ?
Old 7th October 2008, 14:43   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

@bblost... do we really need to be buying immediately after test driving a vehicle ? Or do we need a reason ?
The true character of anything comes out when its under stress.

For Example:
If I am driving with so much care and concern how will I feel that body roll which happen when I try to take a U-Turn at 40 kmph .

and If I did not learn anything about this car from the TD. Then I was simply wasting my time.
Old 7th October 2008, 14:46   #43
BHPian

Hey all, Yes, we have been hearing about the same a lot. In western countries, they re-service the TD cars and sell them for very cheap rates. We reckon, that is fine frankly cause these cars are then advertised as refurbished models.

But, there should be evidences to look for before buying a TD car. Mainly, the engine noise. Most TD'ers rip the machine to test it and that does have some effect on the engine which could be identified provided the car doesn't belong to a sports category.

I appreciate the purpose of this topic. One of my Indian pals was very close to buying himself a TD Suzuki motorcycle. He identified the problem (funny enigne noise) and complained. Believe it or not, the dealership was closed. We do realise this forum talks about cars, but then it applies to the whole of the automotive industry.

@rjstyles69 - Umm, having read your response, we believe not test driving the vehicle would have been a noble gesture. No offense.
Old 7th October 2008, 14:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what was the purpose of the TD.
You answer is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Actually I never really tried to push the vehicle to its limits keeping in mind someone else is gonna buy this vehicle tomorrow.

Quote:
The true character of anything comes out when its under stress.
For Example:
If I am driving with so much care and concern how will I feel that body roll which happen when I try to take a U-Turn at 40 kmph .

and If I did not learn anything about this car from the TD. Then I was simply wasting my time.
You are spot on, my point is to say that a vehicle which was bght for the TD wasn't driven the way it was supposed to be. I mentioned

Quote:
Well I TD'ed the vehicle with utmost care coz I dint want someone(the buyer) else to suffer and gave the Sales Exec' some gyan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosreview View Post
@rjstyles69 - Umm, having read your response, we believe not test driving the vehicle would have been a noble gesture. No offense.
No offense taken just put across what I had experienced.So peace out .

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 7th October 2008 at 14:54.
Old 7th October 2008, 15:08   #45
BHPian

I think as far as I know some companies still sell the TD cars as refurbished/second hand cars.
Because, one of my friend bought a second hand wagon R from pratham motors bangalore last year. The car was a blue color, 2006 model, run about 15k in one year.

We knew it was a TD car as it looked like it had stickers on it.
We initially hesitated to buy the same, but then when we were told that it would be refurbished completely, did we go ahead with the same. (plus it was a pretty decent deal as well)

Infact during some surprise visits, we did check that the clutch plate was also replaced with a new one.

So, i think dealerships are following this policy, however it is still not as widespread as it has to be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks