Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 02:22   #31
BHPian

Re: German Cars with HR and CH number plates in Mumbai!

Actually, if you own property - either personal or commercial in any part of the country, you are well within your rights to register your vehicle there. A friend of mine had his car impounded by the Bombay police owing to it being registered in Daman. He took the Police to court citing that Right to freedom of movement was enshrined in the constitution and he could not be barred from doing so. The court ruled in his favor and the Police had to cough up some compensation to him as well.
Old 16th February 2011, 02:26   #32
BHPian

Mumbai has insane taxes and octrois making it super expensive affair to buy high-end cars. All my cars are registered in HR and CH and the reason behind that is the 18%+ extra i have to shell out. I have homes in HR and CH and I do shuttle from time to time.

You can also pay a yearly road tax which allows you to drive your vehicle in MH without any problems.
Old 16th February 2011, 19:47   #33
A M
BHPian

I suppose the rules for registration are common through out the country. You have to submit a valid and recent residence proof within the jurisdiction of the RTO. It may be your electricity bill, water bills or your voter id or phone bills, but it should be recent. They don't accept the bills more than 2 months old.
Old 27th July 2011, 23:18   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Add to that Nagaland registered imports too. Some Audis, spiderman's ex Ferrari 360 Spider, lots of premium SUV's have been spotted sporting NL plates. Plus I guess Jharkhand also has a huge tax relaxation. A Figo Titanium Diesel costs just 5.5 lakhs on road in Jharkhand, a Fiat Linea T-Jet Plus costs 9.40 on road and a Tata Safari VX 4x2 costs just 11.5 lakhs on road.
BTW which is the cheapest State / Union Territory to register a vehicle now.
Old 27th July 2011, 23:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Just for information...the white Ferrari 458 Italia in Mumbai has also got CH registration. So it's not only German cars
Old 28th July 2011, 00:53   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Just for information...the white Ferrari 458 Italia in Mumbai has also got CH registration. So it's not only German cars
Yes, I have also seen that 458. I also recently saw a Black Rolls Royce Phantom with a CH registration.
Old 28th July 2011, 12:10   #37
BHPian

Kerala Police is going to hunt down "PY" Pondicherry regn cars which got registered with fake addresses through Mahe (a town in Kerala near Calicut still under Pondicherry territory)

A regional channel brought out the news about this scam.

Some film stars in Kerala have PY regn cars.

The tax in PY is around 3,000 - 6,000 IIRC depending on cars as per the channel.
Old 28th July 2011, 12:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
BTW which is the cheapest State / Union Territory to register a vehicle now.

I think, it still is Goa.
On the other hand, sometime back, also heard that taxes in Nagaland are also less. A lot of TD cars in Pune are registered in Nagaland. Upon asking one of the dealers, he did mention that the taxes in Nagaland were less. Cant claim the information to be accurate though.
Old 28th July 2011, 13:16   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I think, it still is Goa.
On the other hand, sometime back, also heard that taxes in Nagaland are also less. A lot of TD cars in Pune are registered in Nagaland. Upon asking one of the dealers, he did mention that the taxes in Nagaland were less. Cant claim the information to be accurate though.
Delhi & Mumbai are cheaper than Goa.
Live To Jive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 16:40   #40
BHPian

I believe that Nagaland, Meghalaya and Chandigarh are among the cheapest to register vehicles in India.

The interesting thing is that non-Nagas cannot hold property in Nagaland except the town of Dimapur - so if all the NL registered vehicles in other parts of the country belong to non-Nagas, then all of them must have properties in Dimapur.
Given the population of Dimapur to be around a couple of lakhs (more here), I'd say that town is a stinking rich place full of millionaires with a per-capita income maybe exceeding Bombay or Delhi, and folks driving around in luxurious European cars.

Else false addresses seem to be the only way to get a NL registration - a big scam waiting to explode here.

Last edited by aryasanyal : 28th July 2011 at 16:45.
Old 16th August 2012, 14:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
You can also pay a yearly road tax which allows you to drive your vehicle in MH without any problems.
I need to send my HR registered car to my sister in Mumbai. Is it possible to keep the car there without changing the registration? What necessary steps shall be taken?
Please advise.
Old 16th August 2012, 15:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I need to send my HR registered car to my sister in Mumbai. Is it possible to keep the car there without changing the registration? What necessary steps shall be taken?
Please advise.
I think the rule states if you intend to keep the car in MH :

From 0-3months : No need of doing anything . You need a proof that vehicle came in Maharashtra less than 3 months back.

Over 3months upto 1 year : You need to pay road tax and no it is not one year tax it is life time tax. You will need a NoC from RTO where you registered the car. You can apply for a refund in that RTO.

Over 1 year : Pay road tax as well as re-register the car. If the car is over 3 years old there is no need to pay Sales tax and Octroi in city (if applicable) else you need a NoC from Sales Tax dept. You will need a NoC from RTO where the car was originally registered. This process has to start within 15 days of entering MH otherwise there is a late fee.

If you are ready for the above then all issues solved otherwise drive the car and handle the police lest they catch and fine you.

I did re-registration for my car and bike when I moved from Bangalore to Pune. And I was caught on my second day with KA-05 licence plate since I knew the above rules I did not pay even one rupee as fine.

Last edited by vikrantj : 16th August 2012 at 15:13.
vikrantj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 22:40   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Over 1 year : Pay road tax as well as re-register the car. If the car is over 3 years old there is no need to pay Sales tax and Octroi in city (if applicable) else you need a NoC from Sales Tax dept. You will need a NoC from RTO where the car was originally registered. This process has to start within 15 days of entering MH otherwise there is a late fee.
Thanks for the information.

What happens in case one intends to stay for 2-3 months but his stay gets extended to >1 year for some reason? Is the person liable to pay the late fee in this case?
Old 17th August 2012, 06:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz
Thanks for the information.

What happens in case one intends to stay for 2-3 months but his stay gets extended to >1 year for some reason? Is the person liable to pay the late fee in this case?
Yes RTO does not take anything into account if they have to follow rules.
Old 28th September 2012, 18:46   #45
BHPian

Don't know how true this is, but someone in Pune told me that a new technique was being used by high-end car owners. They register a car in JH or CH, and once it comes to Maharashtra, replace the J or C with M, making it MH. Doesn't seem legit, but you never know what people will do to save taxes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks