Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2011, 18:01   #16
BHPian

re: Report & Pics: VW Vento IPL Edition EDIT : Now IPL Edition II Launched for 2012 IPL

I wonder why only Petrol Trendline and that too all of these extra features for 25K. Probably, there is no demand for Petrol Trendline and VW is trying to exhaust its already built inventory under the IPL special edition tag.
Old 10th March 2011, 18:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Report & Pics: VW Vento IPL Edition EDIT : Now IPL Edition II Launched for 2012 IPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
IPL is Indian. World Cup is one where there are 11 other nations. IPL is ours; I think IPL is a much better bet than the World Cup.
But VW too isn't an Indian company. In fact many people don't like IPL whereas world cup edition would have been a better choice. Anyways let’s see how many takers are there of this edition.

PS - Is the IPL edition available both in petrol/diesel?
Old 10th March 2011, 18:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vento IPL Edition Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quite a strange move from VW. Is this to say that IPL fans does not believe in safety?
If they put Airbags and ABS, the price difference would not remain to a mere Rs.25,000-ish. If that happened, there was no way VW could advertise the IPL Edition Vento's price being an advantage. Plus, their strategy seems to be that they are more interested in boosting the sales of, atleast, the base petrol variant, if not the mid or top.

Last edited by Stratos : 10th March 2011 at 18:07.
Old 10th March 2011, 18:03   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
For just Rs.25,000 extra, those are a lot of goodies VW is offering. Leather seats and a touchscreen multimedia player with SatNav will itself cost more than 50k!! Is this a limited stock edition by any chance? Available only in petrol or is there a diesel variant too?
They are leatherette seats, meaning artificial leather. Am not sure 25K will fetch that *and* a satnav system, perhps someone can check if "compatible" only means you can add it in future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Truly for IPL fans, personally would not like to have the IPL logo along with the Vento, stamped permanently.
Cheesy, I think. Isn't it bad enough that it's everywhere else? Who wants IPL in their car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
But VW too isn't an Indian company. In fact many people don't like IPL whereas world cup edition would have been a better choice. Anyways let’s see how many takers are there of this edition.

If the delivery trend continues, by the time VW starts delivering these it will be time for the next World Cup! Since IPL is annual (in fact gap between the last and the next is something like 6 months) it's much better for VW!
And yes- only petrol. It's an obvious stunt to get rid of the slow-moving petrol MT inventory!

Last edited by noopster : 10th March 2011 at 18:06.
Old 10th March 2011, 18:17   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
If they put Airbags and ABS, the price difference would not remain to a mere Rs.25,000-ish. If that happened, there was no way VW could advertise the IPL Edition Vento's price being an advantage. Plus, their strategy seems to be that they are more interested in boosting the sales of, atleast, the base petrol variant, if not the mid or top.
Now that make sense - to add up the sales of petrol variant.

Maybe this is something which VW can learn from the German big brothers. For e.g.; BMW gives standard safety features from CE to highline versions. Just my 2 cents
Old 10th March 2011, 18:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this is a sign from VW that there petrol variants are not selling and must have started piling up at the yards all across the country. So in comes the scheme of a limited IPL Edition. It will surely be a hit and will find enough buyers to clear all stock of the petrol variants till now.

Otherwise there is no logic behind launching a special edition of a vehicle which already has long waiting periods (read as only for diesel variant and petrol AT may be).
Old 10th March 2011, 18:20   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The IPL Edition is for India - that is what matters right? Anyone can sell anything in India if it has something to do with cricket.

The universal truth - nothing is free. So, you get the IPL tag, the state-of-the-art HU but you don't get ABS and Airbags. Nice move!

PS : Now that you brought it up, it is mostly non-Indian manufacturers that exploit Indians under the name of Cricket - Opel, Fiat and now VW!
Old 10th March 2011, 18:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Bluevolt, the reason VW became an official partner with IPL and not World Cup is that the World Cup comes once in 5 years whereas the IPL is every year. Their plan is to sell this IPL Edition uptill next year i.e Season 4 & 5 of IPL.

The IPL Edition is only available as a 1.6 petrol
Old 10th March 2011, 18:29   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know if any person would want to buy this car just for the IPL logo. The Vento isn't a bad car that it needs IPL to boost its sales.

This reminds me of TVS scooty launching a Wimbledon edition.
Now how many people have even heard about this scooty variant???
Similarly IMO IPL-Vento will soon be lost somewhere in the normal-vento crowd.
Wimbledon-Scooty was better in one aspect that it was available in full white colour which was not available in any other variant...I Don't see anything like that here.

I don't see anything else in this other than just a move to clear the slow moving variant.

On the lighter side:
I feel they made a bet on IPL thinking that even if they deliver the cars as they are doing, the customers can atleast sport the logo for the next IPL (since the IPL logo is not changing like the WC logo).
Exaggerating... Just imagine if they had made a 2011 WC edition, the customers would only get their cars when the WC 2015 fever starts

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 10th March 2011 at 18:31.
Old 10th March 2011, 18:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
VW took a poll amongst the Indian population as to which sport would they like the company to be associated with and bang came the answer, "Cricket" at 85% support.
Going by sentiments expressed here (and my own concurrence), wonder how many of the 85% were prospective Vento buyers!!?? It it were our aam junta, of course they voted for cricket. BTW, if you are a prospective customers, which sport do you think would really go with the Vento, stickers and stamps all over??!! NONE IMO.
Old 10th March 2011, 19:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

I would be interested to know more about the audio system. Why cant they put this on other Ventos in place of the horrible unit they have currently.

Any photos on the same? Should fit well with the dash too.
Old 10th March 2011, 20:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Now an IPL branded car...Lalit Modi would be proud! That said, good thing that VW has a 2 year contract with IPL...just in case the 2011 IPL Ventos get delivered in 2012!
Old 10th March 2011, 20:07   #28
BHPian

It's sad that it's only available for the Trendline Petrol variants. I would've taken it in a heartbeat if the option was available in all the variants as per our customization requests.

I'll be headed to the VW showroom over the weekend, if they have one on display, i'll update the thread with some pictures of the MP3 Player / Sat Nav.
Old 10th March 2011, 21:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

We are just too critical of everything!

Its a good package,gives eqiupment well worth the price,and looks good in black.Just because airbags and abs are not offered does not mean IPL fans not believe in safety!

And the S10 wasnt just a marketing gimmick,people who own are proud of it because it was a brilliant car and i still love that yellow paintjob and neat looking alloys that came with it.
Old 10th March 2011, 22:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Everything has takers anyways, so some folks may buy just for the free bat, LOL
I agree. In India at-least, everything has takers, so people will make a beeline for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Anyways, sometimes its really hard to fathom the marketing brains that sit and churn out such things,
To quote a line from Dilbert: "Decisions are taken by people who have time, not by people who have talent!"

I really don't think a special edition is needed for the Vento. It already has good selling points.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks