Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 10:57   #46
BHPian

Re: 2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery

What a pitty!!! Amby with a center mount speedo!! Feels like nano and spark!!

AC and music controls on the feet? How are we to manage that? Can some one please post pics of the controls?

Power Steering on the back is also out of this world!!! imagine a merc flagging a Power Steering batch at the rear!!

Why can't they mordernize this beast a little bit? With 1.8 and 2.0 L enigine options and rock solid built I dont think any car can come in close. Even the Enfield guys have so many options on the shelf, not that they have done away with the classy look of the bike.

Amby could still be a winner provided they bring in some much required changes, atleast now.
Old 21st March 2011, 12:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Pune's Local News Paper SAKAL says all new amby will come in December.

and the new features will be-

New Engine, ABS, Alloy Wheels,music system,

New Aero dynamic shape.

new WRAP AROUND headlights

Integrated tail lights.

and it will look like Suzuki SX4( as 'SAKAL' says)
Old 21st March 2011, 12:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

This was a minor refresh, a full makeover is still in the pipeline and is not expected before December. I am guessing the launch will be at the Auto Expo.

This article by ET (Hindustan Motors to give Ambassador a complete makeover - The Economic Times) reports changes in structural design, aerodynamics, aesthetics, a new boot, wrap-around headlights.

And wait for this.. the design will be somewhat similar to Maruti Swift!!

Eagerly waiting to see how it all turns out!
Old 21st March 2011, 15:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Let me remind you that in the 80's, the money our great ministers spent on sending each Ambassador to the UK, getting them bulletproofed, then air-conditioned completely overhauled, adding the Isuzu engine etc., was much more than the cost of an imported bullet proof Mercedes. Nothing can be a greater waste of the country's resources and money.
In the 80s owning a Merc by a politians would have looked good but not for the long run. at that time there were no Merc dealerships/workshops (except Goa) not even local garages to repair them. any kind of technical difficulties would have been a huge problem leading to more loss of money. this is what I think.

Quote:
Anyway, I think the Safari, Scorpio and Fortuner can be bulletproofed in India, but when we already have BMWs and Mercs doing their jobs pretty well, why bother??? Besides, Scorpio, Safari, Manza and the likes are used by below-secretary level officials!

Back to the topic, I believe there might be reason for Calcuttites to rejoice. Why?? City taxis with Leather upholstery and power windows!!
Firstly, if the politians use Mercs/Beemers then I think we as citizens deserve riding in City taxis with Leather upholstery and power windows.

Secondly, I think you are jealous for not being able to ride in City taxis with Leather upholstery and power windows.

Quote:
AC and music controls on the feet? How are we to manage that? Can some one please post pics of the controls?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...2-img_0895.jpg

Last edited by amit V8 : 21st March 2011 at 15:25.
Old 25th March 2011, 01:15   #50

Ambys with power 'staring' and power 'breaks' advertise the same on the 'backside' of the car so that unsuspecting tailgaters are not surprised by its ability to turn or brake quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Why do they have to advertise "power steering" on the back side of the vehicle? I dont think its a new feature. All new/modern cars do come with power steering right?

They should also have put "power breaks" otherwise it will need to be painted just like on trucks .

But seriously, Do we still need the Amby? Even babu's are shifting towards new gen cars!!
Old 25th March 2011, 10:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

Wow... A Mobile Charger all the way from China included as standard kit ! Isuzu Engine from the makers of the best engines ever ! They have killed it this time around. Beware Dzire and Etios

But seriously, my grandfather who is 80 years old appreciates features like 5 speed gearbox from Japan and Isuzu engine ! What the hell are you guys doing at HM? Im sure this was an effort to modernize the car to be still considered by the government who have now officially moved there loyalties to the SX4.
Old 26th April 2011, 18:05   #52

A petrol model from 2006.
Mileage is poor ... hardly 9 per litre but I love the way it drives, still turns heads despite needing a new paint job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Finally I have someone other than me, who drives an Avigo, is it Petrol or Diesel? which year? I'm sure you are happy to see at least some action happening at the HM stable.
Old 26th April 2011, 19:41   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Pune's Local News Paper SAKAL says all new amby will come in December..................
New Aero dynamic shape.
new WRAP AROUND headlights
Integrated tail lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
This was a minor refresh, a full makeover is still in the pipeline and is not expected before December. I am guessing the launch will be at the Auto Expo.

This article by ET (Hindustan Motors to give Ambassador a complete makeover - The Economic Times) reports changes in structural design, aerodynamics, aesthetics, a new boot, wrap-around headlights.

And wait for this.. the design will be somewhat similar to Maruti Swift!!

Eagerly waiting to see how it all turns out!
Wonder what the underpinnings will be.
And if it's to be launched this december where are the test mules and scoop pics? We have three year old scoop pics without any launch. How can HM manage without any test mules running on the road camouflaged.
Old 24th July 2011, 19:38   #54
BHPian

I just read this thread all over again and there is some serious Amby bashing in there, but let me tell you this, if Petrol was not as expensive at it is now, and I had to buy a new car, I'll still buy a Amby Petrol 1.8 Isuzu, this car may not have much, but what ever it has is functional and spare parts dam cheap. I have done more than 28k kms on it and my car is now on about 52k on the odo, still a first crank car, and has never let me down. 2 things that went wrong in my ownership are fule pump and timing belt, the timing belt I should have checked at around 40k, but in any case din't cost me a bomb to get fixed. Apart from a little rusting that happens on the Amby the rest is at it's functonal best, it does not have the finnes of new mordern Jap cars, but does not rattle as them too, all these rattle stories of the Amby I don't know how they came up, but I can tell you this that the Petrol Amby 1.8 Isuzu does not rattle and is a war machine.
Old 12th August 2011, 16:08   #55

Any body got pictures of Amby 2011 -Ecru Beige . I am seriously considering the LPG version. Owners comments please
Old 14th August 2011, 13:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Anyway, I think the Safari, Scorpio and Fortuner can be bulletproofed in India, but when we already have BMWs and Mercs doing their jobs pretty well, why bother??? Besides, Scorpio, Safari, Manza and the likes are used by below-secretary level officials!

the SPG used to have bullet proof tata safaries in PM security ,SPG, and convoy .

The convoy jammer mounted on TATA SAFARI vehicle offers protection to VVIPs and military convoys from the threat of radio controlled improvised explosive devices (RCIED).
2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-43.jpg
2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-350x.jpg

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-2895_l_carpml.jpg

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-vbktn_70487f.jpg
today you can bulletproof almost any car in India.
2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-belero.jpg
2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-gypsy.jpg

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-newambesdor.jpg

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-newambesdor6.jpg

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-newsafari3.jpg

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-newscorpio2.jpg

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-prado_1.jpg

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-sumo_2.jpg

BTW i always had a thing for ambys.

it increased after seeing it in AARAKSHAN movie, driven by Amitabh Bachchan.
2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-51178678818439498207.jpg

Last edited by jeepster : 14th August 2011 at 13:39.
Old 14th August 2011, 18:29   #57
BHPian

HM should drop in to Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu and learn how to make upholstery from Koyars, Stanley, etc.

25 years ago, the above mentioned companies in Coimbatore were making better upholstery for the Amby than what I see from the pics on page 1.

The guys in Coimbatore were also the first ones to fit Isuzu engines mated with 5 speed gearboxes in to their Ambys way before HM even hopped on to the bus and tied up with Isuzu. Coimbatore still has some of the best Ambys in my opinion. Coimbatore was also the first to adopt the Maruti gypsy rim on Ambys 20 years ago.

I remember one could walk in to Alegendra Automobiles and buy every single part of an Ambassador. As a young boy at that time it was amazing to stand at the counter at this spare parts shop and seeing all the parts coming together to make your rust bucket better all over again!

Maybe this calls for a Coimbatore Amby thread on T-Bhp or is there one already?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks