Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will this launch work?
Yes ! Great move by TATA 59 76.62%
No ! Xeta will meet the fate of Palio 1.2 18 23.38%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2006, 14:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indica V2 Xeta - Now updated with testdrive!

Tata motors has launched an entry level Petrol version of the Indica, the Tata Indica V2 Xeta.
Xe=Xtra Fuel efficiency
T=Torque
a=advantage.

Power=70ps @ 4800 rpm
Torque=14 kg-m @ 2600 rpm
Company claims the reconfigured petrol Indica will give about 14kmpl average.

Whats most interesting is the pricing. Tata has placed it right in the Santro/WagonR/Zen category (Rs.2.69 to Rs.3.65 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi).

Further more, the car has beige interiors.

What do you think guys, will this aggressive pricing work? Engine wise, it looks like they have done to old Indica petrol what Fiat did to Palio 1.2.

I think that this is a very clever move by Tata. This move surely has the potential to eat Santro, WagonR, zen for breakfast. The pricing is just too mouthwatering. Essentialy, a B+ segment car for the price of a B segment car!

Last edited by DCEite : 14th January 2006 at 14:53.
Old 14th January 2006, 14:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

[SIZE=2]This just might work. The Indica petrol is just too crude ( we have had an Indica2000) , nor does it perform as well as its HP figures might suggest. And the less said about FE the better (our car returned a max of 10kpl despite four years of very careful driving). Might as well make it a total VFM package. Combination of space,power(decent) and equipment will help the petrol car sales in a big way. [/SIZE]
Old 14th January 2006, 15:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
[SIZE=2]This just might work. The Indica petrol is just too crude ( we have had an Indica2000) , nor does it perform as well as its HP figures might suggest. And the less said about FE the better (our car returned a max of 10kpl despite four years of very careful driving). Might as well make it a total VFM package. Combination of space,power(decent) and equipment will help the petrol car sales in a big way. [/SIZE]

TATA calls it a "reconfigured" petrol Indica. Dont exactly know whats the reconfiguration, but supposidly has better torque and FE.
Sajo, can we have the specs of Old Indica? Specially the Torque@rpm and power@rpm figure..
Old 14th January 2006, 15:11   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Customers buy petrol hatches for fuel efficiency, refinement, ease of driving, after sales support and image - None of which the Indica has

The diesel has its job done. The xeta petrol will be yet another disaster.

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2006, 15:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think the torque is 12Kg-m @2600rpm...
Old 14th January 2006, 17:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
TATA calls it a "reconfigured" petrol Indica. Dont exactly know whats the reconfiguration, but supposidly has better torque and FE.
Sajo, can we have the specs of Old Indica? Specially the Torque@rpm and power@rpm figure..

Old Indica Petrol > 74bhp @ 5500rpm 110nm @ 3000 rpm

New Indica Petrol > 70 PS @ 4800rpm 14 kgm @ 2600 rpm
(Acc to Press Release)

Looks like they've been working on that Petrol engine to make it more drivable (and hopefully more refined?).......this is more torque than most C-segment cars as well (petrols, I mean). Is Tata going the Torque way entirely, starting with the Dicor?

The press release also talks of the Indigo XL, the stretched version of the Indigo.

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th January 2006 at 17:13.
Old 14th January 2006, 18:04   #7
BHPian

hey all!

I think that the Xeta is a great move...
There are still millions of ppl in india who give a damn about how fast the car can go, how good the handling n all is, all they want is a nice lookin car giving good mileage, very cheap in maintenance, and low priced.
In this , the Indica Xeta is now quiet Cheap, Very cheap in maintenance, and well, the car looks good and mileage might be better in this engine, while the car performs better in handling n all compared to the Santro/WagonR etc.

So i think, ppl will go for the Indica Xeta, the onez looking particularly for a PETROL car. Still many ppl nowadays dont like the diesel engine's vibrations and all, and the Indica Diesel vibrates a lot!
Old 14th January 2006, 18:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Looks like they've been working on that Petrol engine to make it more drivable (and hopefully more refined?).......this is more torque than most C-segment cars as well (petrols, I mean). Is Tata going the Torque way entirely, starting with the Dicor?
Rightly said.
That makes it slightly better in the city, because the peak power comes in at a lower RPM, and so does the Torque, which is also more than what it was previously.
Old 14th January 2006, 18:39   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

the car might be 5bhp less than the previous car but has a considerable increase in torque and tata has tried to improve the driveability and fuel efficiency of the car and thats what sells in india and i really appriciate the move,if they car sort out the high rev unrefinement and add some more KPL's the indica petrol can be superb car.
Old 14th January 2006, 19:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Customers buy petrol hatches for fuel efficiency, refinement, ease of driving, after sales support and image - None of which the Indica has
GTO
I second you on that. I dont think its a very clever move by Tata. Atleast, thats what i think.
Old 14th January 2006, 22:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Great move by TATA. The Indica petrol was a sales disaster, so any move to fix it is a good move.

I'm interested to know what exactly they did, mustave increased the compression and added a knock sensor.

Only time will tell if it really works or a sales gimmick. If it can match Santro's FE its a great achievement.
Old 15th January 2006, 12:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey Delhi members please put up the Xeta Pics... i missed Xeta on Friday.. sorry for that..
Old 15th January 2006, 18:40   #13
Team-BHP Support

Me too missed it dceite. However I got the pics for the indica ABS and Airbags.
Its looks the same as Xeta.
Old 15th January 2006, 19:53   #14
BHPian

its pricing is decisive and quality can be brought up so its gonna change as tatas arenot sleeping
Old 16th January 2006, 11:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

They might drop the other Indica Petrol versions and sell the Palio 1.2 at that 4L range, so that the petrol cars in their portfolio don't clash ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks