Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2017, 11:19   #16
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven: The VW Ameo Cup Race Car @ Kari Speedway (1.8L TSI, 202 BHP, 320 Nm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Amazing writeup there! Happy to see the videos as well. This is what an enthusiast dreams for and I'm happy to say that I've experienced this through your report. And yes, the pictures are poster worthy.
Thanks buddy!

Quote:
Can you share some more information about the road-legal Polos you mentioned at the end? I'm sure many of us here would like to get their hands on one if reasonably priced.

Unfortunately didn't get enough time to explore those in detail. I was having a chat with Chief Race Engineer Ranjit and he mentioned that these are in the 180 odd BHP range. When I asked him if any further plans of developing street-legal race car, he remarked that the Polo GTI with few changes would be way easier.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 12:21   #17
BHPian

Re: Driven: The VW Ameo Cup Race Car @ Kari Speedway (1.8L TSI, 202 BHP, 320 Nm)

Hi @SDP sir,
first of all, many congratulations on your first track day and seems like you had a blast out there @Kari. As you've already said it in the first post, driving on a track is a wettest dream and a to-do thing for many of the enthusiasts (include my dad to that list as well). Thanks a lot for the exhaustive report on the event and we(me and my dad) felt that as if we were really there on the event and drove the Ameo 1.8L for the first time and I could feel that rush of adernaline in my body while reading the post. I've got a lot of time to experience such adernaline though( beacuse I'm only 16 and would come on to the track only after I gain enough experience from driving, say after 6 years for my 1st track day). Though, I doubt by the time I enter the track, will I have a beast running on fossil fuel or a complex machine running on modern forms of energy sources

Varun
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 18:12   #18
BHPian

Congratulation. Really enjoyed your write up. Good photographs. Great videos which gives a on the spot feeling. Thanks
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 21:33   #19
BHPian

SDP, a great experience and an even greater detail in the post. I loved every bit of it with a little envious feeling.
Congratulations on losing your "Race-track virginity" and a marvellous way to do that.
Brumby is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 01:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write-up of an awesome experience you had !
If I were to own an Ameo in future I would try to get that livery and those wheels ! The car sure looks good in this avatar. I wish Honda had a Brio cup like this.

For those unlucky chaps (like me) who don't get to drive on a race track, I would recommend playing the game 'Need for Speed Shift', its as real as it can get, the sound and overall realism is too good !
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 11:16   #21
BHPian

Congratulations for your first track day. And my my privileges of being a moderator, you're invited for the track experience.

Beautifuly written & explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

I picked up speed and thundered through the C4 and C5 rather easily. Stayed on the right after C5 as C6 is also a left hander. The C6 and C7 are in quick succession and I followed the instructions "stay on the inside after the 6th". After the straight, the track was closed and I had to take a 90 degree right into a narrow lane after the tower. Another right turn brought me on the main straight.
The Kari Speedway is a short track of about 2.3Kms, and sad that you couldn't use the full track to unleash the potential of the beast. You missed bermuda (corner 10, mostly everyone scrape their bottom here, on bikes of course) and the bowl which really helps to carry the speed to the straights, and may be you would've clocked 200+ instead of 150+.

Last edited by Vasuki : 17th July 2017 at 11:18.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 11:32   #22
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed writeup SDP. Made for an excellent read on the boring Monday morning bus journey to office.

Quote:
The car needs 97 Octane fuel in that state of tune. In India, what is being sold as 97 sometimes turns out to be 91-92 when tested.
This is really sad. Even after charging a whopping Rs.20 over the regular overtaxed petrol, if they can't provide the real deal, it's a real bummer. Better use some cheaper octane boosters instead of getting ripped off with the so called 'poWer99' or 'Speed 97' and getting a raw deal.

Last edited by theredliner : 17th July 2017 at 11:34.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 11:58   #23
BHPian

Great write up SDP. I had met Rayo while in Pune Go-Kart racing event. He is great tutor for beginners of racing world. Rekindled the memories of that event.

And by the way, VW really sounds fantastic in some of the corners.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd July 2017 at 12:17. Reason: Formatted
speedguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 12:02   #24
BHPian

good to bump into you SDP. Was a total blast eh. Thats me btw
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: The VW Ameo Cup Race Car @ Kari Speedway (1.8L TSI, 202 BHP, 320 Nm)-ameo.jpg  

balenopower is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 15:57   #25
BHPian

Awesome writeup Sanjay! I never got such a detailed insight on a race car. It feels as if i was present there personally. Driving on a race track is a dream come true for most of us and you just lived one. I have driven VW cars extensively and can get a fair idea on what kind of an experience you would have gone through with a race version.

Cheers
sumitdongerkery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 21:46   #26
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
.... would come on to the track only after I gain enough experience from driving, say after 6 years for my 1st track day). ...
Would look forward to it. All the very best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
Congratulations on losing your "Race-track virginity" and a marvellous way to do that.
Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Congratulations for your first track day. And my my privileges of being a moderator, you're invited for the track experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
Great write up SDP. I had met Rayo while in Pune Go-Kart racing event.
He is great tutor for beginners of racing world. Rekindled the memories of that event.
Amazing guy indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
good to bump into you SDP. Was a total blast eh. Thats me btw
Hey.. it was great catching up with you!
From the pic it looks like you enjoyed the car and the track even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery View Post
Awesome writeup Sanjay! I never got such a detailed insight on a race car. ...
Same here. Learnt quite a few new terms and concepts over those 2 days.

Thanks a lot everyone for the kind words!
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 22:35   #27
BHPian

Excellently narrated SDP! It just feels as though I am myself there experiencing it the very first hand. Since its all about stretching to the limits on the race track, may you please allow me stretch a star further to rate it 6?

Honestly, I didn't know so many things and terminologies. The manner you have covered the nitty-gritties are worth taking personal notes.

Quote:
Rayo made it very simple for us:
  • Tackling curves - Outside ->inside -> outside. Start from the outside of the curve, then get inside at the apex and then again move to the outside while you accelerate out of the curve.
  • Brake in a straight line.
  • Brake first and then downshift
  • For most curves, you have to be in 3rd gear. For a couple of them, you have to be in 2nd. Up-shift at around 5,000 rpm
  • After the main long straight, when you have to take the first corner, brake before the 100 meters mark, downshift and then tackle the curve.
  • Don't apply brakes gradually. Apply firm brakes and release the pressure slowly.
...And you have further made it simple for us.

However, I have a question:
Quote:
The rear wheel. The lightweight alloy wheel and MRF ZLO tyre:
Attachment 1650531
While the front disc rotor is XXL size(makes sense), the rear one appears tad smaller than even the normal(generic) size. If I am right, what could be the logic behind? Thanks.
Nohonking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 07:35   #28
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Excellently narrated SDP! It just feels as though I am myself there experiencing it the very first hand. Since its all about stretching to the limits on the race track, may you please allow me stretch a star further to rate it 6?
Thank you!

Quote:
While the front disc rotor is XXL size(makes sense), the rear one appears tad smaller than even the normal(generic) size. If I am right, what could be the logic behind? Thanks.
As you brake, the weight transfers to the front and therefore the front brakes have to do much more work and have to dissipate much more heat than the rear. That's possibly the reason for the huge discrepancy in the disc and brake-pad sizes at the front as compared to the rear.

PS - Stock Ameo comes with drum brakes at the rear.

Last edited by SDP : 18th July 2017 at 07:45.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 20:39   #29
BHPian

Excellent narration. Awesome stuff!! I loved the way you described every turn in great detail. Thanks a lot.
Horizon85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 09:56   #30
SDP
Team-BHP Support

One more video for you guys - Following Rayo's polo.
Just look at the lines he takes.

Last edited by SDP : 21st July 2017 at 10:17.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks