Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2007, 10:20   #1
Team-BHP Support

A1 GP New Zealand: NK driving for India

So we finally have a top driver in our race seat for the A1 Grand Prix. As we've read, Narain has finally been given the green light by Williams to race for India this weekend in New Zealand.

So how did he do? Well, news is that after the he was P3 is the 1st practice session, 0.7 seconds behind the leader.

He improved his time in the second session to finish P2 and only 0.05 seconds off the leader!

This is great news and should bring the interest back in India. Qualifying is tomorrow, followed by the 2 races on Sunday. Lets hope India finally gets on the podium and maybe even wins!
Old 19th January 2007, 10:55   #2
BANNED

Rumour has it that he's in for the rest of the 2006/2007 A1 Season..
I'm happy for him and more importantly for TEAM INDIA that needed this kind of a driver for them for a very long time.
But I cant help wonder if its a case of 'big fish in a small pond' syndrome.
All the best to Team India and Naren.. do us proud..PLEASE
Cheers.
Old 19th January 2007, 11:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

So finally NK got off his high horse! I remember watching one of his interviews where he emphatically stated that I am here to stay in F1 and will not drive in A1 GP.

anyways, all the best ot NK- may he do us proud!
Old 19th January 2007, 11:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

You can't really blame NK for this Himanshu. It is well known that Bernie "frowns upon" his current F1 drivers racing in the A1 series. That feeling also extends towards all the F1 tracks, to whom Bernie recommends that they should not allow A1 races to run. And we all know what Bernie's recommendations are like!
Old 19th January 2007, 11:43   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
You can't really blame NK for this Himanshu. It is well known that Bernie "frowns upon" his current F1 drivers racing in the A1 series. That feeling also extends towards all the F1 tracks, to whom Bernie recommends that they should not allow A1 races to run. And we all know what Bernie's recommendations are like!
The BIG BULLY of F1 .... He sure can ruin it for ppl if somebody decides to go against his wishes .. !!

As for NK driving for TEAM INDIA .... that definitely is great news and it cud re kindle the interest in A1 across the country . Looking forward to Sunday , though I wud like to know which channel is gonna be telecasting it Live ???

Cheers
Old 19th January 2007, 11:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

20 Jan, 06.30 am - Qualifying on ESPN
21 Jan, 06.30 am - Race day on ESPN

I'm sure there will be a repeat in the evening/night on both days.
Old 19th January 2007, 12:17   #7
BHPian

i think its going to be Star Sports...
Old 19th January 2007, 12:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, read about this in the papers. I feel NK has done the right thing. He'd be more satisfied taking part in an A1GP race than being just another test driver for an F1 team (which he still says is his first priority).

I hope he stays in A1GP till the end. The way i see it, racing is racing. As long as you have good opponents, you are gonna be tested to the max, irrespective of what form of motor racing you're in.

Infact, i'd rate A1GP higher than F1 with respect to driver skill/involvement. With all cars being identical, it all comes down to how the drivers use the cars to their advantage.

Shan2nu
Old 19th January 2007, 18:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
So finally NK got off his high horse! I remember watching one of his interviews where he emphatically stated that I am here to stay in F1 and will not drive in A1 GP.

anyways, all the best ot NK- may he do us proud!
yeah i remember but he also stated in his latest interview its juzz for the matter of time as f1 hasnt kicked off yet
Old 19th January 2007, 18:30   #10
BHPian

NK racing for india is excellent news. I hope he does well and makes us proud.

There is one more thing which needs to be mentioned here. As everyone knows, the engines are all manufactured / rebuilt and sealed by the manufacturer. The suspension and gearbox ratios are allowed to be set up by the teams. Therefore, keeping aside driver skill, the advantage that a team will have will be the direct result of the car being set up well. Again due to financial constraints, an aspect which plagues and hampers growth of motorsport in our country, Team India has not been employ the services of experts, and this has directly resulted in the dismal performance of the team.

Luckily for Narain, a team which manages and runs an F3 setup has been brought aboard and the engineers are going to set up the car. Techincal support from experts is an issue that must not be ignored. Theres only so much a driver can do. That said I hope that in the future, our drivers are able to enjoy the same facilities as every other team.

Here's to Team India's sucess.
Old 19th January 2007, 19:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Therefore, keeping aside driver skill, the advantage that a team will have will be the direct result of the car being set up well. Again due to financial constraints, an aspect which plagues and hampers growth of motorsport in our country, Team India has not been employ the services of experts, and this has directly resulted in the dismal performance of the team.
That prob explains the 2 odd sec diff in lap times between the Indian team and the front runners.

Shan2nu
Old 19th January 2007, 19:40   #12
BHPian

Okie thats a great news narain is into A1.I really hate watching it!There was noone to cheer about until now as our team was never a competition to the front runners..Narain will be a serious competor!
Old 19th January 2007, 19:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Okie thats a great news narain is into A1.I really hate watching it!There was noone to cheer about until now as our team was never a competition to the front runners..Narain will be a serious competor!

The above is the reason why I gave an explanation (about why the team has been perfomring poorly etc. etc.). I wish members read threads fully and then give their opinions.
Old 19th January 2007, 20:05   #14
BHPian

i read it..I dint ask anything like why the team has performed bad and stuffs, i just said it was performing bad and narain will erase those memories..anyways thats a good news for all the race heads !!
Old 19th January 2007, 20:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Its is a good move by N.K...and good news for team india too...but what about his f1 career as a Race driver...i doubt he will ever get to relive that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks