Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2008, 20:09   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
and the powers of current National Sporting Association (ASN), which at present rests with MAI, will be transferred to IMSF.
I can only imagine how cheesed off a certain Mr. Hoosein will be right now. Considering that it is the MAI that is recognised by the FIA, how is this possible?
Old 24th March 2008, 01:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
I can only imagine how cheesed off a certain Mr. Hoosein will be right now. Considering that it is the MAI that is recognised by the FIA, how is this possible?
It's possible in this way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
...MAI and FMSCI will merge together and will be called IMSF...
...IF the merger happens that is.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:17   #18
BHPian

Hey Guys,
Any news on this? I hav'nt heard anything since April 1.
Old 26th June 2008, 10:20   #19
Team-BHP Support

An update :

World body rules in favour of FMSCI
DNA - Sport - World body rules in favour of FMSCI - Daily News & Analysis

cya
R
Old 26th June 2008, 11:13   #20
BHPian

Heard that trio of Mallya, Vicky Chandok and Sidvin Mohan will be in controlling position. Hope the sport benefits.
Old 26th June 2008, 12:36   #21
BHPian

more ghaplas & control issues on the horizon.
Damn, whatever it is, its unlikely we will see any stability in the admin scenario in the near future ( Sadly )
Old 26th June 2008, 14:46   #22
BHPian

World body rules in favour of FMSCI

By - Sukhwant Basra

NEW DELHI: The FIA's World Motor Sports Council (WMSC) met in Paris on Wednesday and voted 13-7 in favour of restoring the sporting power for four-wheelers in India to the Federation of Motor Sports Council of India.

There were five who stayed away from voting. Since 1999, the MAI has had FIA's sanction to control the bigger vehicle sport in India. It has been learnt that Motorsports Association of India (MAI) president Nazir Hoosein may go in for an appeal against the decision.

The issue of the dispute over the sporting power in India was to be on the Council's agenda. Confirmation of the decision is still awaited officially from the international controlling body FIA.

Ever since the MAI, headed by Hoosein, was formed in 1999, the sport in India has been split in two. The FIA chose to recognise the body despite FMSCI being the Indian government's official federation. FMSCI continued to control two-wheeler sport but the meaty chunk went to MAI.

Three clear options have been logical all along - a merger, revert power to the FMSCI or persist with MAI. With the April 1 deadline of a merger passing, it was apparent that there was little progress that way. Hoosein is getting increasingly isolated within the fraternity witloyal sponsor MRF also backing away from his flagship event - the INRC.

If the power eventually goes to one body, then Indian motorsports is headed for a dramatic change. Till now one of the major deterrents to sponsors coming to the sport has been the controversy surrounding it.

Full Story can be found at DNA - Sport - World body rules in favour of FMSCI - Daily News & Analysis

Last edited by BikerSG : 26th June 2008 at 14:53.
Old 26th June 2008, 15:00   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So basically the MAI has been stripped of all its powers? What happens to the events they run? Do they have to report to the FMSCI from now onward?

I think the current situation is entirely different from the merge reports that came up a while back.
Old 26th June 2008, 15:09   #24
BHPian

Hoosein’s race over?

Vivek Mukherji | TNN

Chandigarh: The World Motor Sports Council of the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile on Friday headquartered in Paris took away from Motorsports Association of India (MAI) the ‘Sporting Powers’ to run all forms of motorsports in India. Not only that, the world body has also gone ahead and handed over the power to MAI’s bitter rival, Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI). In doing so, the status-quo that prevailed eight years ago when the sole authority to run the sport in India rested with FMSCI. has been restored.

The thorny issue of governance of the sport looks like coming to an end. At the WMSC meeting, members of the council voted through secret ballot to strip Nazir Hoosein led MAI of all its powers, though Hoosein reserves the right to appeal to the International Court of Appeal against the vote.

According to a statement issued to The Times of India by Force India CEO, Vijay Mallya, who also happens to be the chairman of both FMSCI and MAI, the WMSC voted out MAI by a majority of 13 against seven, with five abstentations. “The WMSC of the FIA voted out by a majority (13 for, seven against with five abstentations) to transfer the FIA sporting power for India from the MAI to the FMSCI. However, Nazir Hoosein, president of MAI has apparently stated that MAI will appeal this decision before the International Court of Appeal,” says the statement.

This effectively means that pending the decision of the International Court of Appeal, MAI ceases to be the National Sporting Association (ASN). The process of taking over the sport by the IOA recognised FMSCI can only begin after the ICA’s verdict.

It is learnt that if Hoosein still wants contest the decision of the WMSC he has to file the ‘Intention to file’ immediately and submit the appeal in the next 72-hours. Two years back the FIA thorough WMSCI directed both the two bodies to work towards a merger and form one single entity. But somehow the much promised merger refused to materialise. In this piquant situation JK Tyre and FMSCI ran the National Racing Championship under licence from MAI apart from running two-wheeler events, while MAI along with MRF ran the Indian National Rally Championship.

Though it’s not known yet what course of action Hoosein would ultimately decide to take. But for sure the old man of Indian motor sports, who was once close to FIA president Max Mosley, will present his case at the ICA with vigour. But the buzz within the fraternity is that it just might be the case of Hoosein’s race being run.

With the prospect of an Indian GP hanging sometime in 2010, these are interesting times for Indian motorsports. Given the fact that FMSCI, which till now had the recognition of Government of India as the National Sporting Federation now has the weight of FIA behind it as well, does change the equation. Also one can’t discount the fact the IOA chief Suresh Kalmadi and Vijay Mallya have shared space in the Parliament as well.

Source - Times of India, 26th June 2008 (:: The Times of India ePaper ::)
Old 26th June 2008, 17:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a step in the right direction - with one recognized motor sports body - the chances of more sponsorship coming in are higher - hence more participation.
Old 26th June 2008, 20:38   #26
BHPian

Any news when the decision will be made. Hope the Max's scandal doesn't delay the decision.
Old 26th June 2008, 22:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

so whats going to happen to INRC? is this going to be just other sport in Gov office...which will take back seat to cricket like all the other sports.
Old 27th June 2008, 23:12   #28
BHPian

FMSCI will run the car INRC championship too. Now that there is just one body to control all motorsport in India, things will hopefully improve.

Dinar, motorsport is going to be the in thing in the future. You just wait and watch. If you can, try and visit a WRC or F1 event, you will be flabbergasted. I covered the Malaysian F1 GP and WRC Rally of Turkey for my newspaper Deccan Herald in Karnataka. Take it from me. I was in a daze.

Cheers.
Old 28th June 2008, 00:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hey Vivek, thanks for the Hope... F1 is too big for normal Indian as of now....getting one WRC event down also won't make a difference... I am associated with Rallying .... so I know what goes on..[the politics] JK team moving out etc.... Now MRF... I just ment in our country all most of the sports are considered second to cricket.... If the organization goes to a governing body controlled by politics than thats the end of sport...
I still Hope that Mr king of good time will do something GOOD for this Sport.
Old 28th June 2008, 20:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Hey Vivek, thanks for the Hope... F1 is too big for normal Indian as of now....getting one WRC event down also won't make a difference... I am associated with Rallying .... so I know what goes on..[the politics] JK team moving out etc.... Now MRF... I just ment in our country all most of the sports are considered second to cricket.... If the organization goes to a governing body controlled by politics than thats the end of sport...
I still Hope that Mr king of good time will do something GOOD for this Sport.
If you are into rallying, then you know all the stuff. But yes, all sports in India are definitely considered second to cricket. That is the truth. Hopefully motorsport will improve.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks