Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 14:23   #151
BHPian

thanks guys , looking forward to that .
Old 6th January 2009, 14:30   #152
BHPian

I'm still quite confused about the tires and alloys stuff for a track day - what do you guys do - carry a different set of tires and alloys for the track day (all the way from bangy to chennai) or use whats already on your car. Also I wouldn't be comfy in anything but 185s on my car. So should I find some old 185/65/13s for myself or get new ones as the older the tires the more the risks, right??
What about alloys, should I use my current ones or get some old/new ones for track days.
Thats talking like one time of 20k for new tires and new alloys for track days
Old 6th January 2009, 14:50   #153
Senior - BHPian

Get a set of steel rims and mount the track tyres on them.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:54   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I'm still quite confused about the tires and alloys stuff for a track day - what do you guys do - carry a different set of tires and alloys for the track day (all the way from bangy to chennai) or use whats already on your car. Also I wouldn't be comfy in anything but 185s on my car. So should I find some old 185/65/13s for myself or get new ones as the older the tires the more the risks, right??
What about alloys, should I use my current ones or get some old/new ones for track days.
Thats talking like one time of 20k for new tires and new alloys for track days
I use whatever tyres my car is on. I have observed that the Chennai track is not very harsh on the tyres. The Coimbatore track is a lot harsher. The Chennai track has smooth sweeping corners, one leading into another.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:00   #155
BHPian

i guess for people like me , who are goin to be on the track for the first time , trying it with street tyres would be the best option , i.e just to figure out how it feels , am sure i will learn more on street tyres than on the sticky ones.
Old 6th January 2009, 16:30   #156
Senior - BHPian

Note: Be ready to go through your front tyres. Especially, the front-Left!
At the last track day, I used track tyres on the front and regular road tyres at the rear.

Last edited by nitrous : 6th January 2009 at 16:32.
Old 6th January 2009, 16:58   #157
Team-BHP Support

Wasn't there an option to rent out some 13" track tyres?
Old 6th January 2009, 17:30   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Wasn't there an option to rent out some 13" track tyres?
Where from?
Right now, everyone's on our own.
No formula rentals, no race esteem rentals, nothing. God, I miss the Time attacks!
Old 6th January 2009, 17:32   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At the last track day, I used track tyres on the front and regular road tyres at the rear.
How did it affect the handling? Were you experiencing a bit of oversteer?

Shan2nu
Old 6th January 2009, 17:50   #160
Senior - BHPian

Madras has been having the best of weather in a long while. Right time for more P & P sessions.
Old 6th January 2009, 17:59   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
How did it affect the handling? Were you experiencing a bit of oversteer? Shan2nu
Oversteer is bound to occur with "slicks" on the front and regular street tires on the back.

I drove my esteem on track with this combi and JD had cautioned me on the oversteer part. Was careful for the initial 2 sessions and when my confidence picked up i was going in hot into the turns. Was enjoying it immensely but eventually spun out wildly at the S turn before the bridge. IIRC, fahad or shrey was riding shotgun with me.
Old 6th January 2009, 18:05   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
How did it affect the handling? Were you experiencing a bit of oversteer?

Shan2nu
I was on 185/60/R13s at the front and 175/70/R13s at the rear.
And actually, with the soft stock suspension of the esteem , the need for violent change in directions on the track induced major weight-shifts and the skinny rear just made it a little more scary since traction loss wasn't gradual and it would just break loose and spin off.

On the brilliant ikon's chassis and suspension, this setup was actually fun , rear would lose traction gradually sometimes and a little steering input would correct the oversteer. But then, there are limits for it too. But, it was so very forgiving!

But,nothing like race tyres at all four corners. I'd just accelerate through a corner and all it would do is screech and the hotter the tyres are,the stickier they get.
Old 6th January 2009, 20:46   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Edit: We are now planning to make it a more regular affair. So next time it is organized everybody will hear about it well in advance.
So I'd get my 48 hours eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
And actually, with the soft stock suspension of the esteem , the need for violent change in directions on the track induced major weight-shifts and the skinny rear just made it a little more scary since traction loss wasn't gradual and it would just break loose and spin off.
The stock suspension of the esteem is not soft IMO, but what you say is true in your esteem.

So when is the next P&P?
Old 7th January 2009, 18:01   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
So I'd get my 48 hours eh!
Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
So when is the next P&P?
Will plan one soon and this time for a full day.
Old 8th January 2009, 17:06   #165
BHPian

He he!! I remember very well! " I told you not to shift before I ask you to or else I would pull the handbrake on the corners and asked you to gun the car!!" Although the spin out happened when Fahad was in, but it felt nice to have the car's rear slipping out just a bit. I remember you enjoying every single second!!

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Oversteer is bound to occur with "slicks" on the front and regular street tires on the back.

I drove my esteem on track with this combi and JD had cautioned me on the oversteer part. Was careful for the initial 2 sessions and when my confidence picked up i was going in hot into the turns. Was enjoying it immensely but eventually spun out wildly at the S turn before the bridge. IIRC, fahad or shrey was riding shotgun with me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks