Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is wearing the tri-colour disrespectful?
No way! Wearing the flag is patriotic! 35 67.31%
I'm all for sports persons wearing the flag, but not the janta! 13 25.00%
Yes, flags are meant to be strung up poles, just like people who wear them! 1 1.92%
Who cares! 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2005, 13:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
RX - maybe u havent been to a movie hall in a long time it seems. the national anthem is played before the start of the movie reasons for which i still dont understand !!
That is rather stupid then. I knew it was discontinued, but don't know when it got started again.
Old 17th March 2005, 13:45   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Disrespect is when someone burns the flag, when someone intentionally throws it on the ground and walks over it, when someone draws over it...that IMO is disrespect.

On one hand the Govt. makes it compulsory to play the National Anthem before a movie starts to, as they say, increase patriotism, but then they say that our sporting hero's who are out there giving it their all for the country cannot display the flag of their motherland on their apparel? That to me is disrespect.
Agree with all the points here..
Old 17th March 2005, 13:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
RX - maybe u havent been to a movie hall in a long time it seems. the national anthem is played before the start of the movie reasons for which i still dont understand !!
Is it still there?? Is it only there or else where in the country too??!!
Never came here though..
Old 17th March 2005, 21:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Yea
I think its somthing that is practised only in Maharashtra or only in Mumbai I think. Its not even done in Delhi. Is it done in Pune?
Old 17th March 2005, 22:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel it should be worn by those who represent the country.

People tend to think they are powerful when they wear the Indian flag on themselves / cars. And then what will happen. Everyone breaks traffic signals. Cops wont catch them in the fear of being suspended by a Govt employee. Everyone parks their cars in no-parking. No one dare tow a car bearing the tri-color.
It'll also be difficult to distinguish between a Govt employee and the aam junta if everyone starts wearing the tri-color.
I second this. And another reason why it shouldn't be allowed is that the general public is not going to do it with patriotic purposes, but for style. This will show that the flag is being used for entertainment purposes. Iis not a joke when around lakhs of people have given their lives for the country's independence and post-independence.
Old 18th March 2005, 03:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Ok, if you don't want to display the tricolour when our country's sportsmen are playing on the world arena, then when should it be displayed? Maybe it should be kept neatly folded in an airtight box!

The flag getting dirty is not disrespect. When a sportsman wearing a shirt with the tricolour dives to make a catch or hit a ball, it is not disrespect (duh!). When the flag you buy from the roadside on Republic day accidently falls, it is not disrespect. When someone proudly flies the flag at a match, it is not dispespect.

Disrespect is when someone burns the flag, when someone intentionally throws it on the ground and walks over it, when someone draws over it...that IMO is disrespect.

On one hand the Govt. makes it compulsory to play the National Anthem before a movie starts to, as they say, increase patriotism, but then they say that our sporting hero's who are out there giving it their all for the country cannot display the flag of their motherland on their apparel? That to me is disrespect.
Here here!

Thismessageistooshortforthisstupidsoftwaretoallowt hatscrazyisntit? =p
Old 18th March 2005, 03:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
Yea
I think its somthing that is practised only in Maharashtra or only in Mumbai I think. Its not even done in Delhi. Is it done in Pune?
Yes, the practise takes place in Pune as well.
Old 18th March 2005, 03:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

OK, here's what I have to say on the whole national anthem in theatres saga (though this is going a bit off-topic)...Personally, I think it's bloody disrespectful that people babble away and joke and stuff while the national anthem is being played at the start of films in our theatres. I don't think it makes anyone more patriotic. A patriot is a patriot, flag, anthem or not.

And on the topic of allowing flags to "only be treated with the correct protocol" why don't they ban people from waving the flag at cricket matches too? That's not correct protocol is it? Correct protocol is to fly it up a flag-pole. Wrapping the flag around your body isn't correct protocol either. Nor is waving a tiny little replica-flag. Let's ban all those activities as well.

Bans, in my opinion, should be kept to the barest minimum possible and only reserved for things that are of the UTMOST importance. This is not a totalitarian state, where's the freedom of expression, if your behaviour is banned just because someone else's viewpoint differs from yours?

Last edited by kbk_75 : 18th March 2005 at 03:30.
Old 18th March 2005, 03:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

Some people here seem to be of the opinion that when dirt gets onto things, it marks disrespect. I even read someone say that it would be disrespectful to chuck a shirt with a flag on it on the bathroom floor.

What would be respectful then, to leave the shirt dirty? Here's the thing...it's NOT a flag, it's a picture of a flag on a shirt. There's a BIG difference between the two.

Shucks, I'm getting carried away! Time for bed!
Old 18th March 2005, 18:43   #40
BHPian

I for one,have an old helmet repainted in a scheme similar to NK's.I would not say it's identical,but it's close enough.It was done quite a few years ago,when NK wasn't that popular yet.I used it daily for quite a few years till the helmet started to get obsolete.Now I use a regular black helmet,but I still have my old one cleaned and polished,on display at home.I was told by some legal people that there wasn't anything illegal in using a tricolour helmet (maybe they were wrong).In fact,I wore that helmet for atleast 1-1.5 years and to alot of places,but was never ever pulled over for the same.Some fools used to mistake me for a Congress party loyalist!!
Inspite of all the above,I believe that Indian should not be allowed to misuse our flag in any way.I believed that I did nothing wrong in wearing a tiranga helmet,maybe I was.Tricolour on bandanas and bermudas would be a disgrace,so I guess someone else would think the same of my helmet.But I think NK should be allowed to keep his helmet.He will only make us proud.....

Last edited by coloneljasi : 18th March 2005 at 18:49.
Old 19th March 2005, 01:50   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi
I was told by some legal people that there wasn't anything illegal in using a tricolour helmet (maybe they were wrong).
Yes, I believe they were wrong.

The thing is that our country has a "flag code" that is supposed to be followed, but in reality, it obviously isnt. Not even by the politicians or their parties (naturally).
The fact is that almost EVERY representation we see of the Indian flag is against the flag code.

But since no one is following the rather strict flag code anyway, i think i agree with NC about "no flags below the waist" (very good idea), and the politicians are FOOLs for making a noise about NK's helmet which is flying our flag high whilst steering the most advanced motorsport in the world.

cya
R
Old 19th March 2005, 13:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Wow! With 47 votes in the bag, only 1 vote so far against anybody sporting the flag on their gear. That's 2% give or take. A cool 2/3 think it's cool for any of us to show our patriotism however we like. 1/4 feel that sporting heroes should be allowed to fly the flag on their gear, and around 7% don't have an opinion.

Tsk. Sad, then, that our parliamentary representatives don't represent the will of the educated populace at all!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks