Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 15:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Even I feel that F1 is not something India is ready for yet. And I would whole heartedly agree for the WRC. Let's get WRC and probably Mangalore-Shirdi ghat section will be a good starting point. No need to build any infrastructure, it's already (non)existing anyway;-)
Old 26th August 2009, 16:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I do kinda agree with the Ministry on this one. The promoters went to the ministry to get some concessions. There are other sports that need that money desperately.

But, most likely cause of refusal was that someone was not getting enough kickbacks from the demanded concession.
But they'd be making a lot of money from the tourism and other related activites. In this kind of economy that's a godsend. Don't classify it as a sport. We don't really care. But have a race here if for no other reason than to help our economy!
Old 26th August 2009, 16:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

We already are witness to F1 driving everyday on our roads (Louis Hamilton also said this recently). It is not a sport, just a way of driving on Indian roads.
Old 26th August 2009, 16:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
But they'd be making a lot of money from the tourism and other related activites. In this kind of economy that's a godsend. Don't classify it as a sport. We don't really care. But have a race here if for no other reason than to help our economy!
I dont think the Ministry refused permission to hold the event. They just said they wont give any money for it.
Old 26th August 2009, 16:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Ministry has done the right thing.

They need to make 100 more memorial parks(like the one currently been made in Noida by Mayawati). For that a budget of 10000 crore is allocated so how can they sanction any amount for something called F1 !

Am sure the minister who decided this must be knowing Michal Schumacher as a Badminton player.

Story of great politicians and leaders in our country carries on. And we can continue banging our heads in despair and discussing these great decisions.
Cheers!
Old 26th August 2009, 16:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I dont think the Ministry refused permission to hold the event. They just said they wont give any money for it.
Oh that's news to me. I thought they refused permission. Well surely, there are private backers for this? Wouldn't Mallaya love the Kingfisher Indian Grand Prix?
Old 27th August 2009, 14:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 2011 Indian Grand Prix has hit a roadblock with the promoters of the event failing to get the government nod for remitting the money they owe to the UK-based Formula One Administration.
With the Sports Ministry denying JPSK Sports, promoters of the Indian Grand Prix, the approval to remit USD 36.5 million to the Formula One management, speculation is rife about the fate of the event and the hushed silence of the organisers are not helping their cause either.
More here: Indian F1 Grand Prix hits roadblock: Rediff Sports

Last edited by finneyp : 27th August 2009 at 14:23.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Formula1 is not honey and roses all the way, though a very popular event and I am a fan as well. There both pros as well as cons, which sometimes give rise to passions. Have a look at this:
Watch and Clock Forum Your home for the discussion of timepieces. • Login

Last edited by Gansan : 27th August 2009 at 14:57.
Old 27th August 2009, 16:31   #39
BHPian

In all likelihood it seems the end of the road as the Ministry has refused to give permission to remit the money abroad which is the license fees. So no fee paid = no race.
Old 27th August 2009, 17:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
...The amount in question is not a small one. That amount could well be spent in promoting other marginal sports....
Looking at the track record of the sports ministry, no marginal sports will ever be promoted. You can give them truckloads of money, but it will probably be used to create a few more departments and 'authorities' whose sole purpose will be to provide employment to superannuated babus.
Its going to take a miracle for the menopaused minds at the sports ministry to actually do anything for any kind of sport.
Of course, I'm not saying the F1 is run by a bunch of people with shining halos around their heads.
Old 27th August 2009, 17:27   #41
BHPian

Just happened to read this article. I think all of you should take a look at it too.

Counterview: Formula for disaster - Edit Page - OPINION - The Times of India

After reading this article, I am convinced that clearly the author has never followed what F1 is about. I mean is he/she really serious while saying the following.

"Sports initially meant athletics. Hence the Olympics motto, "faster, higher, stronger", that is a reference to stretching the limits of human endeavour, a tribute to human resilience and strength. By no stretch of the imagination do machines fit that category. A sporting event is one where sportspersons are pitched against each other to prove their skill that comes with talent, rigorous training and endurance. In F1 racing, all these requirements are fulfilled not by a sportsperson but by the machine, as winning depends on the quality, power and endurance of the engine."

Further

"Today's advanced technology makes automation eminently possible, so you don't need a human behind the wheel of an F1 racing car that's skidding and screeching away dangerously at inhuman speed. "

Come on man,who are you kidding? It is not my nature to ridicule, and I understand the fact that people are entitled to their own opinions, but this? Do you not know the rigorous training sessions required to stay fit to drive a F1 car? Do you really think that enduring massive amounts of "g" forces for over an hour is really that easy?

And if the government wants to talk about entertainment values, clearly they are overlooking the evolution of format of cricket to keep it entertaining. Also think about what a F1 race can do for tourism for India, the job opportunities that it might create.

Mr. Babu (sports ministry) in delhi, Good job, you just poured water on thousands, if not lakhs of F1 fans in India. Keep up the good work.
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Good news

autosport.com - F1 News: Ecclestone: No doubts on Indian GP
Old 14th September 2009, 13:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Sports Minister Manohar Singh Gill says its an 'expensive entertainment'..

Firstly we have all discussed it is not entertainment.. It is a sport where the drivers are much fitter than some of our top athletes... Hit a person with 5G on his neck and I'm sure he'd be resting in peace the next day... But the F1 drivers are physically trained and toned so that their muscles can withstand that kind of strain...

Expensive it definitely is... But compared to almost falling asleep watching 22 men playing cricket on an open field for days on end I'd rather watch 22 cars each worth millions race against each other at break neck speeds and get done with the adrenalin rush in an hour...
Old 14th September 2009, 13:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

Read last week about this joke; its all coz of a tussle between politicians! Shame. Hope anti-Gill party wins again to bring this to India soon.
Old 14th September 2009, 14:10   #45
BHPian

Cant blame the ministry for this attitude guys...they dont know s*@# about Formula 1.
And why would they care about F1 or promoting other emerging sports when they already have the Cricket Crazy masses to make sure their pockets are always hot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks